"Without tradition, our lives will be like the fiddler on the roof."
- from the movie 'Fiddler on the Roof'
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

Re: "Without tradition, our lives will be like the fiddler on the roof."
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 12:53:00 AM »
Fiddler on the Roof is the 1971 film version of the stage musical, based on the stories of Sholom Aleichem. Tevye the Milkman is a Jewish peasant in pre-Revolutionary Russia, coping with the day-to-day problems of "shtetl" life, his Jewish traditions, his family (wife and daughters), and state-sanctioned programs.

j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 09:14:26 PM »
In so many ways, no different from an overseas Pinoy who's been living away from home for more than half his life.  :) ;)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 06:19:06 PM »
Yes, we, overseas Pinoys, are in so many ways, fiddlers on the roof. The life we lead is almost always not the one we want to live but the one we are forced to live in order to survive. :) ;)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 06:19:37 PM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 03:58:22 PM »
Paid a very high price for succumbing to the dictates of tradition. Broke the relationship with my first love. Broke, as well, the heart she gave me.
Now in the autumn of my life. A man with his name hanging in the Fools Hall of Fame. :)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 06:21:41 PM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 06:35:14 PM »
Sholem Aleichem (Yiddish: ??????????, Russian and Ukrainian: ?????-???????) (March 2, 1859 — May 13, 1916) was the pen name of Solomon Naumovich Rabinovich, a leading Yiddish author and playwright. The musical Fiddler on the Roof, based on his stories about Tevye the Milkman, was the first commercially successful English-language stage production about Jewish life in Eastern Europe. ;)

j

juan

• View Profile
"As beautiful as simplicity is, it can become a tradition that stands in the way of exploration." :) ;)
- Laura Nyro

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 10:52:23 PM »
Yes, we, overseas Pinoys, are, in so many ways, fiddlers on the roof. The life we lead is almost always not the one we want to live but the one we are forced to live in order to survive. :) ;)

A time to be reaping
A time to be sowing
A time just for living
A place for to die

Twas so good to be young then
To be close to the earth
Now the green leaves of summer
Are calling me home
" :)
- song line from Brothers Four “The Green Leaves Of Summer"
- theme song from the movie “The Alamo”
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 11:04:20 PM by juan »

felix

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://felix.boholano.net
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 12:09:59 AM »
im not a traditional type of person...but i believe it as impt..
"Good people are like wind. You cannot see what is inside thier hearts but you can always feel their goodness and sincerity"

http://felix.boholano.net

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 12:59:18 AM »
im not a traditional type of person...but i believe it as impt..

Depends. Traditions that hinder progress, eg, bigotry, must be eradicated. :) ;)
"Bigotry or prejudice in any form is more than a problem; it is a deep-seated evil within our society."
- Judith Light