2010 ATP Sportsmanship Award to Rafael Nadal

• 2 replies

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
2010 ATP Sportsmanship Award to Rafael Nadal
« on: November 20, 2010, 07:28:57 PM »
LONDON (AP)—Top-ranked Rafael Nadal has won the ATP tour’s Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award for the first time, ending Roger Federer’s streak of six in a row.

Nadal earned the award, which is voted on by tour players, after winning three Grand Slam tournaments in 2010. He has locked up the year-end No. 1 ranking ahead of the season-ending ATP World Tour finals, which start Sunday in London.

Federer is still the most popular player on tour, winning the Fan Favorite award for a record eighth straight year. The tour said Saturday that Federer earned 47 percent of votes, compared to 42 percent for Nadal.

American twins Bob and Mike Bryan were the most popular doubles pair for the sixth year in a row, winning 44 percent of fan votes.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 07:29:46 PM by Mikey Gatal »

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Re: 2010 ATP Sportsmanship Award to Rafael Nadal
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 07:32:29 PM »
Congratulations to Rafa Nadal for being voted by his peers recipient of this year's Sportsman award. I'm sure he's proud to know that his fellow-players think so well of him. It's amazing to me that even in fan popularity Nadal and Federer dominate -- a combined 87% of the voting. They are both incredibly compelling competitors and in their humanitarian pursuits. Well-deserved acknowledgement from peers and fans for both men.

Congratulations to the Bryans Brothers as well -- a great end to a record-breaking season.

Continued success and good health to these four champions and to all ATP and WTA players. Thank you for another exciting season. Well done.

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Re: 2010 ATP Sportsmanship Award to Rafael Nadal
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 02:42:07 AM »
I finally Agree. It was getting on my nerves at first when the media was almost making It seem like roger's career is over and Rafa is the new all time great.

The truth is 2010 is the first year of Rafa domination. This year is the first time he has toppled Federer and deservingly is new number 1.

2008 I would still give to Federer because Nadal was still a young boy and back then it had almost seemed like he had used all he had to defeat Federer in the Wimbledon final, and then Roger had won the U.S Open right after that, while Rafa had departed in the semi-final.