• 0 replies

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Leg Cramps
« on: December 31, 2010, 04:56:56 AM »
Leg Cramps and Its Causes    by Albert Deon

I'm sure you've had them. Almost everybody does. Those nagging, painful and sometimes excruciating night leg cramps. They seem to come out of nowhere and when they hit, it's like somebody's taken a baseball bat to the bottom of your body. Well, fear not. The days of your night leg cramps may soon be over. This article is going to explain to you what causes these things and also give you a very simple cure for the problem.

Now, before I go any further, I want to let you know my stance on home remedies. Honestly, I am a believer in technology, and usually do not trust those ancient home remedies. I would rather buy something that is scientifically proven than do some voodoo to fix my problems. My problems; however, could not be fixed by the different medications that I took, so I decided to give a few remedies a try.

I waited daily until the salts arrived- excited about trying out the new dead seas salts, I decided to bath in the middle of the day. The soak was so relaxing and enjoyable that I also decided to re bath that evening and add some lavender to the soak to help me sleep more restful. That night I went to bed and slept like a baby. I was hooked!

Be sure you're well hydrated. Many pregnant women avoid having a drink before bed to reduce nighttime waking to urinate but dehydration can cause problems with muscles and increase your chances of having leg cramps.

Even though the exact causes of leg cramps while sleeping are not clear, sometimes they are caused by overexertion of the muscles, structural disorders, sitting for a long time or inappropriate leg positions while resting. In fact, it is this last thing that doctors advice more frequently to their patients: having right and comfortable leg positions while sleeping.

If you are experiencing legs cramps, make sure that you eat foods that are rich in vitamins and minerals. Try to incorporate foods like bananas, potatoes, tomatoes, broccoli, and citrus fruits in your daily diet. In addition, drink around 6 to 8 glasses of water and reduce your caffeine and sugar consumption.

Our body needs some elements to balance, if there is a chemical imbalance such as magnesium and potassium in the body, it can cause leg cramps. If a person breaks a bone, the muscles surrounding the area will sometimes spasm as a means of protecting it. This is the body's clever way of immobilizing the bone and stabilizing it.

Applying firm pressure to a cramping leg can help relieve the pain. Usually gripping it and gently stretching it will eliminate the cramping and contracting of the muscle. Depending on where you have the cramp this may be difficult to do.

When you are finally in bed, try not to point your toes as this is another very common cause of leg cramps.