j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
Deaths reported as major quake hits NZ
« on: February 21, 2011, 07:11:36 PM »
Neil Sands
February 22, 2011 - 1:09PM

Multiple deaths were reported as a 6.3 magnitude earthquake struck Christchurch on Tuesday, toppling buildings, igniting fires and sending panicked people rushing into the streets.

The widespread damage came from a shallow lunch-time tremor in a city of 340,000 still recovering from a powerful quake in September, which did not cause any fatalities but did weaken many buildings.

Christchurch airport was temporarily closed and police said they were evacuating the city centre as building frontages collapsed, with witnesses saying there were people trapped inside.

Advertisement: Story continues below Cars were buried under rubble and roads buckled as the tremor opened ruptures in the ground.

"It was just unbelievable, it was so strong, nothing like I've ever experienced before, just horrible," local shopkeeper Julian Hogday told New Zealand's TV3.

Police feared multiple deaths, including in two buses that were crushed by falling debris.

"Multiple fatalities have been reported at several locations in the central city, including two buses crushed by falling buildings. A doctor and emergency services are attending," a police statement said.

"Other reports include multiple building collapses, fires in buildings in the central (city) and persons reported trapped in buildings."

New Zealand Prime Minister John Key feared the worst after the shallow quake struck at 12.51pm (1051 AEDT).

"It is a very populated time with people at work, children at school," he said.

"Sadly I cannot rule out whether there have been fatalities or not, but we are aware of significant damage to buildings that had people in them at the time."

On September 4, Christchurch suffered the most destructive quake to hit New Zealand in 80 years when a 7.0-magnitude tremor damaged 100,000 homes, leaving a clean-up bill estimated at $NZ4.0 billion ($A3.03 billion).

The city remained under a state of emergency for weeks with police cordoning off the centre for fear of collapsing buildings, as thousands of aftershocks hit the region.

At the time, authorities gave a clean bill of health to Christchurch's 36,000-capacity AMI stadium, one of the venues for the rugby World Cup starting in September.
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Re: Deaths reported as major quake hits NZ
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 04:30:39 PM »
Got some close pals there. Terrible. One calamity following another all over the world. :(

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 05:44:14 PM »
i just talked to them at facebook, they didn't mention about it, sorry to hear that and thanks for sharing, Juan

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 06:58:24 PM »
No worries, mate.
Climate change. One of Barack Obama's key election promises was an energy policy that will fight climate change.
During his election campaign, Obama said he planned to cut greenhouse emissions by 80 per cent by 2050, implement a ten-year, $150 billion clean energy plan and create five million 'green' jobs.
Problem is with 3rd world countries like Phil.
"We can no longer afford indifference to suffering outside our borders; nor can we consume the world's resources without regard to effect. For the world has changed, and we must change with it."
- US President Barack Obama in his Inaugural speech

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 05:42:54 PM »
Quake death toll stands at 146, expected to rise?. :o