• 0 replies

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Deborah Henry - Miss Universe Malaysia 2011
« on: March 11, 2011, 02:38:44 AM »

by Janis Seet – The Malay Mail

COMPASSIONATE: Deborah hopes to bring about more awareness on the lives of refugees worldwide

No stranger to beauty pag­eants, Deborah Priya Henry was recently crowned the 49th Miss Universe Malaysia making her only the second woman in Malaysia to have won both the Miss World and Miss Universe titles. The tall, lanky lass of 25 who was born in Dublin and grew up in Kuala Lumpur, started her modelling career at the tender age of 15 and is now a household name in the entertainment industry.

Set again to do Malaysia proud at the Miss Universe pageant in Sao Paulo, Brazil on Sept 12, Deborah Priya Henry exudes the cultivated grace and elegance that only a true beauty queen can pos­sess. We catch up with her amidst her busy schedule and ask her about her life, her pageant wins, as well as her beauty regime.

A NATURAL BEAUTY QUEEN

Being a beauty queen is no foreign territory to you, so how is being Miss Universe Malaysia any different from your other title? Also, do tell us a little about your pageant experience this time?

It goes without saying, that I have the experience from the previous pageant – I am older and hopefully a little wiser too. But Miss Universe is different and I cannot be complacent or think I’ve been through it before so it’s a piece of cake. It is a competition and all the ladies are there to bring home the crown.

What qualities do you think that you possess which gave you the win­ning edge over the other contestants this year?

I think for one I am expe­rienced as I have participat­ed in pageants before. I am also currently in the enter­tainment industry. I’m the host for Bella so that makes me versatile and I am able to adapt to different situa­tions. Plus I have had mod­elling experience.

Who is your role model in life and why?

I don’t have role mod­els but I do admire certain qualities in many people. I like to think that I can take on those qualities to improve myself and learn­ing from others is a good thing.

How are you preparing for the pageant at Sao Paulo?

I have already started working out on the power plate to achieve my ‘Miss Universe body’ *laughed*, make sure I am well versed with the political, social, economic and cultural land­scape of Malaysia as I am rep­resenting Malaysia. And of course, the fun bit is choosing all the gorgeous dresses I will be packing for Brazil.

With this title how would you use it to help causes that you are passionate about?

Two years ago I started an education centre for refu­gee children called Fugee School. With this title, I hope to bring about more awareness on the lives of refu­gees living all over the world and also stress how impor­tant it is for all chil­dren to receive their basic rights.

How was it growing up being tall and beautiful? Were you always considered a looker or was it something you grew into in the later part of your life?

To be honest I was a little boyish in school and went through a phase where I only wore shorts. I was also very ath­letic and definitely not a girly girl! It was only in college did I start taking notice of people noticing me. I was quite shy as a teenager but I’ve outgrown those traits.

How did you celebrate Valen­tine’s Day this year?

I am not big on Valentine’s so this year I went out with a bunch of friends and it was like any other dinner. We had a great time.

What would you say is impor­tant in a woman? What traits should a woman have?

Integrity, humility, grace and spontaneity. It’s important to live life and not take things too seriously – that’s what I tell myself anyway.

What do you like to do in your free time?

I don’t really have much free time. I do make sure I have time to work out and play tennis every week as it keeps me mentally and physically alert. I also do enjoy chatting with friends over good food.

What is your take on plastic surgery?

I think one should get plastic surgery for a medical matter or if they really need it. It’s not very nice seeing young women getting done just so they can be perfect. I think one’s person­ality and character­istics play a bigger role.

Can you describe to us your beauty regime?

Because I wear a lot of make up I have a serious cleansing programme and I keep my skin well hydrated. I go for the occasional fa­cial and drink lots of water.

What do you hope to achieve in the future with regards to your ca­reer as well as personal life?

Keep working on my passion project which is the Fugee School and children’s rights. I want to keep travel­ling and experiencing the world because it is truly amazing. I would also love to have a big happy and healthy family to come home to.

The last time Malaysia reached the Miss Universe semi finals was in 1970, with Josephine Lena Wong Jaw Leng.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 02:39:18 AM by thatsmyboy1992 »