Australian Government - Migration Fraud Summary

• 33 replies
j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
Re: Non refugees will be flown back: govt
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2013, 08:50:38 PM »
Meaning to say, lisud na kaau imigrate dinhi.
 :) ;)
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Mainland boat to lure others, fears Sri Lankan navy
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2013, 09:24:30 PM »
by: Amanda Hodge and Lauren Wilson From: The Australian April 11, 2013 12:00AM

THE Sri Lankan navy is warning that the undetected voyage of an asylum-seeker boat that reached the mainland will encourage more people to set off on dangerous journeys because they will realise Australia's maritime security has failed.
Sri Lanka's navy operations commander, N. Attygalle, sounded the alarm over Australia's border security regime as immigration authorities prepared to fly 66 Sri Lankan men, women and children who reached Geraldton on Tuesday to Christmas Island on a charter flight for processing.

"What is alarming about this is that they have passed Christmas Island, probably within 50 miles of it, and got almost within swimming distance of the Australian mainland without being detected," Commodore Attygalle told The Australian.
"That's bad news. That means people here will realise surveillance is not that good so they will think they can go also."
Canberra-based Sri Lankan high commissioner Thisara Samarasinghe also weighed in, cautioning that the way the Gillard government handled the fallout from the boat's arrival would be "critical" and "give a message to the rest of the people who are considering coming".

Home Affairs Minister Jason Clare and Immigration Minister Brendan O'Connor spent yesterday grappling with the arrival into the bustling West Australian port -- much further south than usual people-smuggling routes -- and ordered Customs to conduct an internal review into the breach. The vessel, donated by Deutsche Bank after the 2004 tsunami, is the first to reach the Australian mainland in five years, and one of the 76 boats carrying 4616 asylum-seekers to make it into Australian waters this year.

As border protection shapes as a defining election issue, Tony Abbott accused Labor of "surrendering" control over Australia's borders, and branded as a "disaster" the government's boats policy. Mr O'Connor hit back, saying the Opposition Leader was guilty of breathless hysteria.

Recent co-operation between Sri Lanka and Australia, as well as the Sri Lankan navy turning back asylum boats, has stemmed the flow of boatpeople from the South Asian nation. Australia has repatriated almost 1000 Sri Lankans since August after they were found to be economic migrants, not genuine asylum-seekers.

The Australian understands there was no crew on Tuesday's vessel, and authorities are investigating whether it was a self-funded and self-sailed voyage, with passengers claiming they were at sea for 44 days.

Mr O'Connor warned that if those on board were found not to be genuine asylum-seekers, they would be immediately returned to Colombo. The government is also examining whether surveillance aircraft and patrol boats need to be repositioned to prevent people-smugglers targeting new and dangerous routes, and will consider moving navy ships further south from their patrol zone in Australia's northern waters.

Concerns have been raised that the major offshore oil and gas facilities on the North West Shelf could be vulnerable to terrorist attacks and are now visited regularly by navy patrol boats.

The vessel would have sailed past tens of billions of dollars worth of resource-sector infrastructure and equipment.
Since September, a patrol boat has been permanently stationed at Cocos Islands, which is the usual destination of Sri Lankan asylum-seeker boats.

West Australian Premier Colin Barnett described the boat's arrival as a "game-changer" and said: "There's probably a stronger case for a better Customs and even defence capacity around Geraldton -- maybe a patrol boat in Geraldton harbour."
He expressed concerns the coastline could now be exposed to more asylum boats travelling the same route. "We've got to be concerned about not only asylum-seekers, there could be crime gangs, crime syndicates," he said.
 Commodore Attygalle cast doubt on the asylum-seekers' claims that they had been at sea for 44 days. He said the trip was likely to have taken less than half that time.

"The boat is quite large -- between 45 and 50 feet long -- so would have very good endurance," he said. "These are one-way journeys and these boats have six-cylinder engines and the capacity to carry 15,000 litres of fuel, which is enough."
The Australian understands authorities have concerns about the health of several passengers. A child was taken to hospital and the condition of a pregnant woman was being monitored.

The single men who landed were last night being held in the Northam detention centre, 460km southeast of Geraldton, while the women and children were taken to Perth.

Opposition immigration spokesman Scott Morrison said Labor's failure to pass its legislation to excise the Australian mainland from the migration zone meant the arrivals could not be transferred to Nauru or Manus Island. "Minister O'Connor has been caught red-handed doing nothing by his government's failure to get that legislation through the parliament," he said.

Labor said yesterday it was committed to getting the legislation through the Senate and its "no-advantage test" would apply to the asylum-seekers. Immigration Minister Brendan O'Connor said the government intended to send the arrivals to Christmas Island and "if the international obligations pursuant to the refugee convention are not exercised, they will be going to Sri Lanka".

Refugee advocate and lawyer David Manne said, having reached the mainland, the asylum-seekers had "the right . . . to apply for refugee protection".

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Re: Mainland boat to lure others, fears Sri Lankan navy
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2013, 09:27:32 PM »
Why is this happening? ???
i want to be in the happiest nation
Poor Uncle Sam!!!!!
 :'(
Don't thank me for adding insult to injury! It's my greatest pleasure.
 :P ;D :D :) ;)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 09:35:18 PM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
Brendan O'Connor steps up crackdown on 457 visa rorting
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2013, 08:33:10 PM »
by: Joe Kelly From: The Australian  April 29, 2013 12:00AM

BRENDAN O'Connor has intensified the government's attack on the 457 visa worker scheme, foreshadowing plans to introduce legislation in parliament to make further amendments to the Migration Act before the election.

The Immigration Minister declared yesterday that more than 10,000 457 visas had been rorted by employers.

Mr O'Connor refused to detail the government's intentions but The Australian understands the legislation will seek changes in addition to the announced plan to have Fair Work Ombudsman inspectors check business compliance with the program.
"In so far as numbers, I believe that the areas where there's been an illegitimate use of 457s numbers in the thousands - it's not negligible," Mr O'Connor told Sky News's Australian Agenda.

"I would say it would exceed over 10,000."

His comments came as newly released figures showed there were 105,600 foreign workers on 457 visas in the community - an increase of 19.2 per cent on March last year but continuing a downward trend in visa grants since August.

Mr O'Connor's latest attack on 457 visa rorts incensed business groups, which said it was out of step with reality and part of an attempt to build populist appeal in the lead-up to September's national poll.

When Julia Gillard announced the crackdown on the scheme, she also called for Australian workers to go to the front of the job queue and foreign workers to be sent to the back.

Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry chief executive officer Peter Anderson was sceptical of Mr O'Connor's figures and described his claim as inflammatory.

"The most alarming aspect is that, if one in 10 457 visa holders are being exploited, then that reflects abysmally on governments themselves given that government is the largest single employer of people on 457 visas," Mr Anderson said.

Australian Industry Group head Innes Willox said the government had not produced any compelling evidence to support its claim of extensive rorting.

"The extreme rarity of prosecutions or even sanctions against employers would suggest that there is no systemic abuse of the 457 program," Mr Willox said.

Opposition immigration spokesman Scott Morrison said Labor had failed to produce the results of any inquiry or investigation that demonstrated the widespread rorts. "Labor's smearing of skilled migration is a desperate attempt to distract attention from their chronic border failures, that this year will see more than 20,000 people arrive illegally by boat," Mr Morrison said.

CFMEU construction division national secretary Dave Noonan said 457 visa reforms should be a key election issue and union polling showed widespread support for an overhaul.

Mr Noonan said the program should only be used if businesses had undertaken thorough labour market testing and there were no local workers available.