Osama bin Laden is dead

• 22 replies

Babat

• Global Moderator
  • "Feel the LOVE today"
    • View Profile
Osama bin Laden is dead
« on: May 01, 2011, 10:18:18 PM »
The mastermind behind the Sept. 11 attacks was killed in an operation led by the U.S., President Obama declares.

WASHINGTON – Osama bin Laden, the glowering mastermind behind the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks that murdered thousands of Americans, was killed in an operation led by the United States, President Barack Obama said Sunday.

"Justice has been done," said the president in a dramatic late-night announcement at the White House.

A small team of Americans killed bin Laden in a firefight Sunday at a compound in Pakistan, the president said, and took custody of his remains. Americaj officials said they were being handled in accordance with Islamic tradition.

A jubilant crowd gathered outside the White House as word spread of bin Laden's death after a global manhunt that lasted nearly a decade.

Former President George W. Bush, who was in office on the day of the attacks, issued a written statement hailing bin Laden's death as a momentous achievement. "The fight against terror goes on, but tonight America has sent an unmistakable message: No matter how long it takes, justice will be done," he said.

Obama said he ordered the operation after receiving undisclosed intelligence information. Senior administration officials said the terrorist mastermind was found inside a custom-built compound with two security gates. They said it appeared to hvae been constructed to harbor one high-value target and that for undisclosed reasons, officials became clear the hideout was bin Laden's.

Officials also said they believe the death puts al-Qaida on a path of decline that will be difficult to reverse, but there was no word on the whereabouts of bin Laden's second-in-command, Ayman al-Zawahri.

The stunning end to the world's most widely-watched manhunt came just months before the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks on the World Trade Centers and Pentagon, orchestrated by bin Laden's al-Qaida organization, that killed more than 3,000 people.

The attacks a decade ago seemed to come out of nowhere, even though al-Qaida had previously damaged American targets overseas.

The terrorists hijacked planes, flew one of them into one of Manhattan's Twin Towers — and, moments later, into the other one. Both buildings collapsed, trapping thousands inside and claiming the lives of firefighters and others who had rushed to help them.

A third plane slammed into the Pentagon, defacing the symbol of America's military night. A fourth crashed in rural Pennsylvania after passengers overpowered the hijackers and forced the craft from the air — before it could hit its intended target in Washington.

The attacks set off a chain of events that led the United States into wars in Afghanistan, and then Iraq, and America's entire intelligence apparatus was overhauled to counter the threat of more terror attacks at home.

A senior administration official says Obama gave the final order for U.S. officials to go after bin Laden on Friday. The official added that a small team found their quarry hiding in a large home in an affluent suburb of Islamabad. The raid occurred in the early morning hours Sunday.

Administration officials offered some details of the operation.

Based on statements given by U.S. detainees, intelligence officials have known for years that bin Laden trusted one al-Qaida courier in particular and they believed he might be living with him in hiding. In November, intelligence officials found out where he was living, a huge fortified compound in an affluent suburb of Islamabad. It was surrounded by walls as high as 18 feet high, topped with barbed wire. There were two security gates and no phone or Internet running into the house.

Intelligence officials believed the $1 million home was custom-built to harbor a major terrorist. CIA experts analyzed whether it could be anyone else, but time and again, they decided it was almost certainly bin Laden.

Three adult males were also killed in Sunday's raid, including one of bin Laden's sons, whom officials did not name. One of bin Laden's sons, Hamza, is a senior member of al-Qaida.

Obama spoke with Bush and former President Bill Clinton Sunday night to inform them of the developments.

Obama struck a less than boastful tone in his brief announcement, although he said the death of bin Laden was "the most significant achievement to date in our nation's effort to defeat al-Qaida.

"His death does not mark the end of our effort. There's no doubt that al-Qaida will continue to pursue attacks against us. We must and we will remain vigilant," he added.

Moments after he spoke, American officials cautioned that the events could lead to heightened threats against the United States.

Officials said the U.S. would ensure that bin Laden's body was handled in accordance with Islamic tradition.
My Life with Tennis click link 4 details:    http://www.alotbagotchay.blogspot.com

"Some people need "LOVE" spelled out for them."..... including me.. =)

http://www.mikeygatal.com/connect/index.php

Babat

• Global Moderator
  • "Feel the LOVE today"
    • View Profile
Re: Osama bin Laden is dead
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 10:53:22 PM »
It took a lot of people to get Osama bin Laden. Congratulations to all involved. And thank you to all those who serve and protect our country. It is a great day for America!
My Life with Tennis click link 4 details:    http://www.alotbagotchay.blogspot.com

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 03:08:16 PM »
A look at the lesser-known bin Ladens
By Phoebe Connelly

The death of Osama bin Laden on Sunday has revived interest in the man who had been a scourge of the United States even before he made it on to the FBI's newly minted "Most Wanted Terrorists" list in 2001.

Osama bin Laden was the son of a prosperous family that came from practically nothing to become one of the Saudi royal family's most trusted construction contractors. As Steve Coll recounted in his 2008 book about the bin Laden clan, Osama was always somewhat removed from the wealthy family--especially after becoming a devout Muslim at the age of 13, when he fell in with an Islamist group run by his Syrian gym teacher. Osama's piety was respected, and even prized--he became an "excluded and essential" figure, Coll writes, in the family until the clan officially disowned him in 1993 at the request of the Saudi government.

Virtually since that moment, the bin Laden family has been left to deal with the fallout arising from their now-infamous name. Below, The Lookout provides a round up of other lesser-known bin Laden family members, and their experience dealing with the attention that has come with the terrorist leader's notoriety.

The Disapointed Sister-in-Law
Carmen Binladen wrote a 2004 book about living as part of the extended bin Laden family. She holds that the wider bin Laden clan still held the al Qaeda mastermind in high regard, even as his political beliefs and actions became extremist. Carmen was married to Osama's brother Yeslem, and lived on the bin Laden compound in Jeddah before returning to the west in 1985. She is the mother of Wafah Dufour (read on below).

"The name has been very difficult to carry because of Osama's actions," she told the UK Independent. "His beliefs and actions go against everything my daughters and I believe. I will never forget 9/11."

The Florida Brother
Osama's brother Khalil owned a 1920s-era lakefront mansion west of Orlando, Florida, where he vacationed with his wife and children. Shortly after the 9/11 attacks, the family fled their Florida vacation home under police protection under fear of reprisals.

The house was sold in 2006 at the height of the housing bubble, but later went into foreclosure and now stands empty. The current asking price is just above $1 million.

The Model Niece
Wafah Dufour is the daughter of Osama's half brother, Yesalm Binladin. Born in California, Dufour received a law degree in Geneva before completing her masters at Columbia University in New York.

Dufour came to public attention after posing for a series of racy photos for GQ magazine in January 2006. "It's really tough that I have to always explain myself," she told GQ. "It's like every time I meet someone, I have to move a huge mountain that's in front of me, and sometimes I get tired."

The Captive Daughter
Several members of bin Laden's immediate family fled from Afghanistan to Iran after the 9/11 attacks, where they were held by the Iranian government, ostensibly for entering the country without proper paper work.

One daughter, Iman bin Laden, was released into her mother's custody in 2010 after being held for 112 days at the Saudi Embassy in Tehran. Previously, she had been under house arrest in Iran.

Babat

• Global Moderator
  • "Feel the LOVE today"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 03:09:42 PM »

Lesser-known bin Laden family members

gee_17

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 04:52:25 PM »
hay salamat! Thank God patay ngyd
please like my page (online shop) . Lot's of unique yet very affordable items to choose from.. Happy shopping! :)
please click the link below

https://www.facebook.com/pages/-REDLIPS-/133013416778699

sweets

• Global Moderator
  • "pepsi lover"
    • View Profile
    • www.boholster.com
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 08:56:29 PM »
RIP

Babat

• Global Moderator
  • "Feel the LOVE today"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 09:11:17 AM »
the US economy will start to come back and growing

Babat

• Global Moderator
  • "Feel the LOVE today"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 01:07:41 PM »
Religious leaders tackle bin Laden death

By BROCK VERGAKIS

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. – The killing of Osama bin Laden, a man who was America's face of evil for nearly a decade, left Christians, Jews and Muslims relieved, proud or even jubilant. For their religious leaders, it was sometimes hard to know just what to say.

There is at least some dissonance between the values they preach and the triumphant response on the streets of New York and Washington to the death of a human being — even one responsible for thousands of killings in those areas and around the world.

"Justice may have been served, but we Catholics never rejoice in the death of a human being," said the Rev. Stephen Mimnaugh.

He did not mention bin Laden during Sunday's morning Mass at Manhattan's St. Francis of Assisi, the church of the late Mychal Judge, chaplain of the Fire Department of New York and the first recorded victim of the Sept. 11 attacks in the city.

After Mass, Mimnaugh cited comments published in America, a weekly Catholic magazine. The Rev. James Martin, a Jesuit priest, wrote that "no matter how monstrous" a person is, "as a Christian, I am asked to pray for him and, at some point, forgive him."

Other religious leaders felt compelled to say at least a few words about bin Laden on the first weekend of worship since he was killed. Some focused on moving on and working toward peace, while others spoke approvingly of a death they said marked a blow for justice.

The Rev. David Howard shouted his approval — in a sense — from outside his church in Virginia Beach, Va.

"OSAMA BIN LADEN, SATAN AND THE FINAL VICTORY OF JESUS," read the marquee outside Brook Baptist Church, publicizing the sermon Howard started writing hours after he heard that a team of Navy SEALs based in Virginia Beach killed the al-Qaida leader.

Howard has no doubt that bin Laden was an instrument of Satan brought to justice with the aid of God, who answered the prayers of millions.

"We should pray for bad people, evil people, that when we pray to God he will change their lives. But if he won't change their lives, especially those who have a lot of power to hurt a lot of people, you pray for their end because they're causing so much pain," he said. "You pray somehow God will take them out. The Bible is very clear that God is in control and every person in power is because God put them there. He can put them there, he can keep them there or he can take them out. That's his prerogative."

The leader of one of the nation's largest mosques was equally direct during prayers Friday.

"There is no doubt that this man was a thug, he was a murderer," Imam Hassan al-Qazwini told worshippers at the Islamic Center of America in the Detroit suburb of Dearborn. "His hands were stained by the blood of thousands of innocent people — Muslims and non-Muslims alike."

Qazwini, who delivered his sermon in a large, circular hall filled to capacity, said the Quran is clear that someone who kills one innocent person "is doomed to hell forever." And the imam was particularly incensed that bin Laden "committed atrocities against innocent people ... while he was calling 'Allahu akbar,'" or "God is great."

"He's responsible for tarnishing the image of Islam in this country," he said. "We're happy to see the man who caused so much pain for Muslims in this country is gone ... finally."

Before the sermon, Qazwini said Muslims are discouraged from showing jubilation over death, but cheering the news of bin Laden's demise marks an occasion where "justice was served."

At Armitage Baptist Church on Chicago's near west side, Pastor Charles Lyons told his congregation Sunday that sometimes "evil must be stopped."

"We do not rejoice in the death of the man named Osama bin Laden (but) ... truth provides a platform for justice," he said.

Church member Angelia Parker said bin Laden's death should have been a time for contemplation, not cheering in the streets.

"I think that was kind of weird," said Parker, who was passing out roses to mothers after the service. "It was like, 'Are you kidding me?' We are celebrating this person's death? We didn't celebrate in the streets when Saddam Hussein was killed."

The Rev. Bill Kelly, priest at Saint Mary of the Assumption in Dedham, Mass., near Boston, said he was taken aback by the celebrations because he detected bloodlust. But he added that the emotional reaction is understandable.

"This is 10 years of pent-up anger, hurt, frustration, especially here in the Boston area because the crimes were initiated here," he said, referring to the two planes that took off from Boston before crashing into the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, 2001.

At Second Baptist Church, the oldest black church in South Los Angeles, church member Goward Horton said he was happy about bin Laden's death and didn't think that conflicted with his beliefs.

"We should be allowed to have relief, happiness, joy. Especially if you were touched by what happened on 9/11," Horton said. "Me, personally, I'm not one to take to the streets in celebration over his death, but I understood when people did it."

The Dalai Lama, the exiled Tibetan Buddhist spiritual leader and Nobel Peace laureate, said Tuesday in Los Angeles that although bin Laden may have deserved compassion and even forgiveness as a human being, it is sometimes necessary to take counter-measures.

"Forgiveness doesn't mean forget what happened," he told students at the University of Southern California.

Reform Rabbi Eric Wisnia, of Princeton, N.J.'s Congregation Beth Chaim, observed that during the Passover holiday that ended April 26, Jews recount the 10 plagues carried out against Egyptian aggressors by dipping their fingers in wine 10 times. But they are forbidden to lick their fingers, lest they take pleasure in the pain of others.

As he left a Quaker meeting in Philadelphia, Fred Koszewnik of Marlton, N.J., said he thought the celebrations were "kind of icky."

"Honestly, I'm glad he's dead, but I don't know that's something to celebrate. It sort of lessens us, I think," he said. "I don't think good comes from putting out more evil. And celebrating another person's demise — if I understand anything about Quakerism, there's something of God in everyone."

Richard Land, president of the Southern Baptist Convention's Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission, said the Bible marks a distinction between individual Christians, who should pray for and forgive their enemies, and the state, which has a different responsibility. "God says they are to punish the evildoers," he said.

"I take no personal pleasure in Osama bin Laden's death, but the moral symmetry of the universe demands that a person who has perpetrated the terrible crimes against humanity that he's perpetrated deserves to be executed," Land said.

At Congregation Neve Shalom, a Conservative Jewish synagogue in Metuchen, N.J., Rabbi Gerald Zelizer said in an interview that according to the Talmud, if someone is trying to kill you, "you are obligated — not permitted — to kill that person before he kills you."

"But that obligation does not carry with it at all the privilege of rejoicing," he added.

As services ended at the synagogue Friday, a heated debate over how to respond broke out. Kathryn Zahler, a compliance administrator from Colonia, N.J., said that taking delight in anyone's death feels un-Jewish.

"For what it's worth, he had a family. He's obviously a very evil man. I think there was a sense of relief, but I wasn't celebrating," Zahler said.

But Mindy Epstein, a medical assistant also from Colonia, said she took joy in bin Laden's death, noting that al-Qaida showed no decency when it released a video of Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl being decapitated in 2002.

"I don't care if that makes me a non-Jew or not," Epstein said. "Put it on pay for view for the (Sept. 11) victims."

In his Saturday morning sermon, Zelizer reminded congregants that the day bin Laden was killed was also Holocaust Remembrance Day. He suggested that the phrase often used in reference to Adolf Hitler might also be appropriate for bin Laden: "May his name be blotted out and his memory forgotten."

j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 06:36:33 PM »
The man is dead. But his ideology remains. One can kill a person. But not his/her ideology.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

Babat

• Global Moderator
  • "Feel the LOVE today"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 01:33:01 AM »
a pin drop could be heard