James Durbin Out of American Idol

• 3 replies

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
James Durbin Out of American Idol
« on: May 13, 2011, 04:22:28 AM »
Well, after 70 million votes--the highest top 4 vote tally ever, in all 10 seasons--"American Idol" viewers let themselves be heard, loud and clear, judges' comments be damned. Haley Reinhart never really had the support of the "Idol" machine--I was actually beginning to think this show was sponsored by Greyhound, she got thrown under the bus so much--but her underdog status helped her gain votes from sympathetic, outraged fans who understandably believed she was getting a raw deal on this show. Despite the judges and producers seemingly doing everything in their power to get Haley out of the way of the other female left in the competition, Lauren Alaina (aka the Chosen One), Haley made it to the top three anyway. And she deserved this victory. She fought for it.

This is the good news.

The bad news? James Durbin, a frontrunner since the beginning and probably the most exciting and edgy contestant remaining this season, was shockingly voted off in fourth place. Apparently, despite his diehard "Idol" campaigning, America didn't really want to give metal a chance after all. Instead, America wanted TWO boring country singers, Scotty McCreery and Lauren Alaina, in the top 3. How ironic that the contestant with a penchant for pyro, rock 'n' roll flamboyance, and superfluous scarves went home the same week that Lady Gaga mentored and rock icon-turned-judge Steven Tyler premiered his solo video.

My elation upon finding out that Haley was safe--and that, for the first time since Season 6, there would be two girls in the top 3 (news that surely gladdened Season 6 champion Jordin Sparks, who also performed on this week's results show)--was short-lived, obviously, once I realized that the final spot in the top 3 would go to either Scotty or James. It was hard to imagine Scotty going home after covering a Jesus-namechecking 9/11 anthem that clearly catered to his conservative fanbase, not to mention kissing his cross on national TV...but I thought maybe, just maybe, his political power-play might've alienated some voters who felt they were being blatantly pandered to. Either way, this result was going to be a shocker, since I'd once assumed that I'd see both Scotty and James in the finale.

It seemed James thought he'd go all the way too, as he took the news of his rejection pretty hard, welling up as he emotionally stated: "I worked so damn hard to get here, and I was really hoping to [get to the finale]. I did so much stuff on this show that's never been done before. In my mind, I did what I came here to do, which was to get America to give metal a chance."

All I can say is, it's going to be a lot less fascinating a finale than it would have been if America had given metal a chance and James had made it to the end. I was already rock 'n' roll-fantasizing about Axl Rose and Steve Perry coming out of hiding to duet with the guy, or James rocking the stage sheathed in Rob Halfordian studded leather while Tommy Lee banged behind him on a spinning habitrail drum kit. Sigh. Oh, what might have been...

With James gone, I'm counting on the Gaga-endorsed Haley to bring the excitement and drama for the remainder of the season--and since I believe Lauren and Scotty might split the country vote, plus I suspect many of James's votes will now go to Haley, I actually think she has a bigger chance than ever now. She may have just Reinharted herself right into the finale.

Parker out.

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Re: James Durbin Out of American Idol
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 04:22:44 AM »
WOW!! America got it so wrong again! No one was expecting that, I sure wasn’t! Although James was never my favorite, I couldn’t help but feel really sad for him. He deserved to be in the top 2, or at least the top 3. I partly blame the judges for this. They should not over praise some contestants and over criticize others. Cuz this is what happens. You give excessive acclamation and glory to one contestant, people think they will be safe, and they vote for someone else like Lauren or Haley who were at risk. In my opinion, unfairly over criticizing Haley backfired on the judges, who obviously favor Scotty and James. Unfortunately, James is the one paying for it.

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 04:23:09 AM »
I'm a little shocked and a LOT disappointed. While James has stumbled a bit the past 2 weeks, he was one of the brightest spots of this odd season.How weird that Pia, James, and Casey (twice!) got voted off without ever previously appearing in the bottom. I had hoped for a James/Haley finale to (a) derail Nigel's plans, and (b) because they were the 2 most consistently solid singers. Scotty has shown that he can do more than just country, but Lauren has never lived up to her hype and has shown that she can't handle the negative side of fame. I was hoping that she'd go home this week as she could use the some time to develop her potential. I still think she should have waited until she was 18, but oh well. Congrats to the Top 3, now I can only hope that somehow Haley makes it into the finals, but I highly highly doubt it. After Nigel's plans the past few years went down in flames, I don't think anything will stop his Scotty/Lauren finale train.

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 04:23:38 AM »
since AI is not a singing competition it is always wide open as to who will win, or who will advance. Traditionally hard rock performers do not do well w/mainstream america. Daughtry...Adam Lambert. People have their own opinions who are good or who aren't...Pia, Casey, Paul McDonald. Fabio....I mean Haley looks like the favorite now, and I think the producers had a bit of say in that in the last couple of weeks in the placing of where she performed. It might bode well for James not winning Idol, and having that label follow him. I don't know how long he will be under contract w/the idol group, but I hope he goes far in spite of that. Scotty will be a Nashville star....Lauren will go far as she continues to mature. Haley kept on dodging the bullet in the earlier weeks of the competition, does she have it in her to be the next AI, and will she have the staying power..............?