• 1 replies

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
A fan’s preview on Rafael Nadal
« on: May 26, 2011, 06:12:35 PM »
Nadal won’t get by Soderling at Roland Garros: A fan’s preview

Much of the talk leading up to the 2011 French Open centered around the shifting rivalry between No. 1 Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic. Currently on a run approaching the record books, Djokovic is redefining what it means to have a good start.

Since winning the Australian Open, Novak has gone on to win every match he has played in this year. He took two finals from Nadal on clay already, in Madrid and Rome. The final in Rome was a fairly straightforward 6-4, 6-4 game. Djokovic faced a tougher challenge earlier, when Andy Murray took him to a 3-hour semifinal. Djokovic is looking unstoppable on clay.

"I'm just most happy about the game I have this year on clay—the way I'm striking the ball and the way I'm so self-confident," Djokovic said. "I always knew I could beat the top players, but now I have the confidence to do it."

Is Rafa on the ropes?

Nadal has been the reigning master of clay for years, but appears in danger of losing the crown. He has faced a much harder road in the early going than Djokovic has seen. In the first round, John Isner forced Nadal into his first five-set match ever at Roland Garros.

Rafa defeated fellow Spaniard Pablo Andujar in three, 7-5, 6-3, 7(7), 6(4). He has had to weather two tough matches just getting to the third round, while Djokovic has barely been challenged. Novak looks to be the favorite, if it gets that far.

I don't think it will get that far. Rafa has an old nemesis in his half of the draw—Swede Robin Soderling. Since Nadal played for his first clay title at Sopot, Poland in 2004, he has won a total of 31. Through that run, he only lost nine matches. One of them, of course, was against Robin Soderling.

Bad blood

Soderling defeated Rafa in a 2009 fourth-round match at Roland Garros, stunning Nadal and observers. Soderling was ranked 25th then, now he's up to No. 5 and playing well. It's no secret Nadal doesn't like Soderling, and with Nadal playing under pressure this year, Robin may get under Rafa's skin even more.

Fans hoping to see Nadal take on Djokovic in an epic final match may see that dream fade away, thanks to a certain Swede with an affinity to being the spoiler. After being runner-up to Federer in 2009 and Nadal in 2010, does the same fate await Robin Soderling again?

Will he battle to the final, only to lose, this time to the streaking Novak Djokovic?

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Re: A fan’s preview on Rafael Nadal
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 06:15:46 PM »
Robin Soderling is not exactly in great form either. He barely beat qualifiers in the first two rounds. He has been going downhill since he fired his coach Magnus Norman. Robin Soderling is not the same tennis player he was in the last two years.