OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
USA Loses To Japan In Soccer
« on: July 18, 2011, 04:18:39 AM »
U.S. misses first three PKs in shootout, Japan wins first WWC

By Brooks Peck

Despite Nike's "Pressure Makes Us" ad campaign for the United States Women's World Cup run, the team missed their first three penalty kicks in the final's deciding shootout after Japan came back twice from being a goal down late in the match. Japan beat the U.S. for the first time ever (26 matches) and earned its first ever WWC title, showing just as much determination, fight and toughness as the U.S. was lauded for throughout the tournament.

By beating No. 2 ranked Germany, No.5 ranked Sweden and the No. 1 ranked U.S. in that order during the knockout rounds, Japan proved that if pressure made anyone, it was them. The first equalizer in the 80th minute was a gift from the American defenders, but after Abby Wambach put the U.S. ahead 2-1 in extra time with yet another crucial header, the tournament's leading scorer, Homare Sawa, scored a wonderful goal off a corner in the 116th minute to push the game to penalties.

Though it seemed the U.S might have a chance to recreate the iconic scenes of their successful shootout in 1999, the team's first three shots just weren't good enough. Japan keeper Ayumi Kaihori came up with a kick save on Shannon Boxx's opening shot, then Carli Lloyd blasted her shot over the crossbar and Kaihori again saved Tobin Heath's attempt after that, putting the U.S. in a hole they would not escape. Japan won the shootout 3-1, bringing much needed smiles to the faces of their countrymen back home.

Here's video of the shootout.

Fifa WM 2011 Final Japan vs USA 5 : 3 Elfmeterschießen HD

U.S. star goalkeeper Hope Solo went over to her family in tears after letting in 20-year-old defender Saki Kumagai's winning shot.

And after an absolutely incredible match, it was Japan who lifted the trophy.

felix

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://felix.boholano.net
Re: USA Loses To Japan In Soccer
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 04:45:10 AM »
the US should have won this match in extra period, but the defense sucks in the crucial moments of the match. it's terrible!
"Good people are like wind. You cannot see what is inside thier hearts but you can always feel their goodness and sincerity"

http://felix.boholano.net

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Re: USA Loses To Japan In Soccer
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 04:50:59 AM »
FRANKFURT, Germany – Hope Solo believes her refusal to resort to dirty tricks may have cost the United States the Women’s World Cup.

The USA goalkeeper shunned the underhanded but commonly used soccer trick of exaggerating an injury during the final minutes of Sunday’s dramatic loss to Japan, instead choosing to play on until the pain become too much to bear.

Four years ago, Solo believed she would have been the difference in the team’s World Cup chances if she had not been benched for the semifinal. This time around she insisted that she, or at least her conscience, might be to blame for a stunning upset defeat.

Solo injured her knee in a collision with Japan’s Yukari Kinga early in the second period of extra-time with the Americans leading by a goal.

She opted not to receive treatment at the time, in stark contrast to the often-theatrical antics many players choose to adopt in such situations. During the USA’s thrilling quarterfinal victory over Brazil, the Brazilian players continually feigned injury while leading late in the game in an attempt to kill clock.

But Solo’s knee complaint worsened, and by the time there were only four minutes of extra time left she had no option but to call for the trainer and play was halted while she was treated on the field.

The break gave Japan time to compose its thoughts prior to a corner kick which immediately followed. From a corner, captain Homare Sawa produced one of the goals of the tournament, a superb flick with the outside of her right foot that flew past Solo and into the net.

“Part of me wishes I had never gone down to keep the team’s confidence up,” Solo said. “There was an option earlier on of going down and getting the trainer on and doing the antics. I wanted to get up, I didn’t want to win that way. But I wonder now if I did the right thing.”

Solo was one of the stars of the tournament as her goalkeeping ability, looks and no-nonsense attitude won over an army of new fans. She had little to do for long stretches during the final with the USA dominating most of the game only to be sunk when Japan equalized late in regulation time, again toward the end of extra-time, and then prevailed on penalties.

The 29-year-old saved from Yuki Nagasato in the shootout, but could not prevent Aya Miyama, Mizuho Sakaguchi and Saki Kumagai from converting the kicks that gave Japan the trophy for the first time.

Solo admitted that she felt stunned by the turnaround which denied the USA its first World Cup since 1999.

“I really felt like it was our tournament to win,” she said. “It was a weird feeling tonight. It was just a strange game and it feels strange now to be here and getting ready to leave Germany – and we didn’t win the World Cup.”