Australian police probe rare case of alleged organ donor trafficking

• 5 replies
j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
Updated July 28, 2011 14:15:03

The Australian Federal Police have confirmed that they are investigating the country's first case of human trafficking for organ transplantation.

It has been reported that an elderly Australian woman with a kidney condition is suspected of trafficking a young woman from the Philippines with the intention of harvesting one of her kidneys.

The incident was discovered during a screening process at a Sydney hospital and that the Filipino woman may not have given full consent for the procedure.

Presenter: Bill Bainbridge
Speaker: Andreas Schloenhardt, associate professor at The University of Queensland TC Beirne School of Law
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 10:32:17 PM by juan »
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Transplant rules 'are working'
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 10:47:32 PM »
12:27 AEST Thu Jul 28 2011

Transplant experts are confident Australia's organ donor systems are rigorous enough to stop illegal trade in body parts.

They say the case of an elderly Sydney woman who allegedly brought a young woman from the Philippines to harvest her kidney is unique, and doctors follow strict procedures to make sure vulnerable donors are not taken advantage of.

All live donors must undergo stringent psychological tests and medical examinations before they are allowed to offer what doctors consider "the ultimate gift".

Transplant Australia chief executive Chris Thomas said while there were 1591 Australians on the organ waiting list, there was no need for Australians to "prey on the poor and vulnerable in Third World countries".

"I think the system is working given the fact that there are strong psychological tests and investigations done by doctors before any altruistic donation is made," he told AAP.

"Altruistic donation is a wonderful thing, but there can't be any financial incentives involved. A gift is a gift, and it can't have any form of remuneration about it.

"That's a slippery slope to paying for organs, which would be abhorrent to most people."

While organ trafficking is illegal in all countries with transplant programs, the World Health Organisation estimates about 10 per cent of the 100,000 transplants carried out worldwide each year involve the sale of body parts.

China, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Egypt, India and the Philippines have all been identified as countries were there is a trade in living organs.

Mr Thomas said he understood the temptation for donors to buy an organ to avoid waiting years for a transplant.*

He expects demand for organs to rise as more people are added to transplant lists due to complications from diabetes and other so-called lifestyle diseases.

"This is why we need to improve our own organ tissue donation system and encourage more Australians to consider donation," he said.

"Families need to be more informed prior to being in a hospital corridor coming to grips with the fact that their loved one has been taken ill and is brain dead on a ventilator."

The Australian Federal Police are investigating what is believed to be the country's first case of organ trafficking.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported the alleged deal, believed to have been struck without the Filipino woman's full consent, was discovered during interviews at a Sydney hospital before the donation took place.

Kidney Health Australia's national medical director Dr Tim Matthew said that given the tight regulations surrounding organ donation, it would be impossible to carry out a secret transplant involving organ trafficking.

"You can't do one in a country hospital without anyone knowing," he said.

"No one in the medical system is going to risk doing that.

"If someone walks in and says, `Hey, this is my friend from the Philippines,' it would immediately raise suspicions."

The number of people waiting for kidney transplants has fallen in recent years.

There were 1223 waiting in 2010, down from 1394 in 2006, while the number of transplants rose to 550 from 370 in the same period.

Sixty per cent of kidney donations are from patients who have died, while 40 per cent come from family or friends.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 10:58:22 PM by juan »

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

felix

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://felix.boholano.net
Re: Australian police probe rare case of alleged organ donor trafficking
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 12:48:58 AM »
true
"Good people are like wind. You cannot see what is inside thier hearts but you can always feel their goodness and sincerity"

http://felix.boholano.net

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 01:08:53 AM »
Wanna sell yours?
While still dialyzing, asking price was Aus$50k. At that time, exc rate was Aus$1 = US$0.70. This morning, Aus$1 = US$1.1023. Uncle Sam's bankrupt. Kawawa si skipper. Hehehe. ;D :D :) ;)

felix

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://felix.boholano.net
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 01:10:07 AM »
Wanna sell yours?
While still dialyzing, asking price was Aus$50k. At that time, exc rate was Aus$1 = US$0.70. This morning, Aus$1 = US$1.1023. Uncle Sam's bankrupt. Kawawa si skipper. Hehehe. ;D :D :) ;)
ang baba naman
"Good people are like wind. You cannot see what is inside thier hearts but you can always feel their goodness and sincerity"

http://felix.boholano.net

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 01:22:04 AM »
ang baba naman

Aywan ko lang ngayon. Gossips heard many Pinoy here have misgivings about having kt in the Phil. Obsolete facilities. Many are donated by rich countries. Also, lack of experience. The vascular surgeon who did my kt had 500+ kt attached to his name.
Heard rich Saudi's the best place for kt. State-of-the-art equipment that's replaced by new ones often even before on the market. Top surgeons are combed from all over the world.  :) ;)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 01:27:41 AM by juan »