OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Getting Creative with Maternity Photography
« on: August 12, 2010, 11:15:23 AM »
Getting Creative with Maternity Photography

by Stan Trampe

Maternity photography, like any other type of photography, is what we make of it. As photographers, we have almost unlimited options for creating unique and amazing photos: lighting, filters, background and setting all give us endless opportunities, yet I've noticed that many maternity photos look rather pedestrian and cliché.

Pregnancy is a special time in a woman's life, and the maternity photos that you take should reflect that. Don't be afraid to go beyond the ubiquitous hands-forming-a-heart-over-her-belly shot and do something different. While your model will let you know what she's comfortable with and how conservative (or daring) she wants to be, you can make suggestions and help to encourage her to push her limits. Conversely, you may also be surprised by how open she is, and some ideas that she may have, so don't be afraid to have an open and frank discussion beforehand.

One technique that I like to use in my maternity photo shoots is infrared. Infrared produces a soft grain that is flattering to both face and figure, and should you be shooting outdoors it gives your model an almost otherworldly appearance, with vegetation taking on a white glow, and any clothing or fabrics that you're using can turn out looking completely different in print form than expected. Is it often seen in traditional maternity shots? Not really, but it's exciting and different, and many of my mom-to-be models have been genuinely enthused when they see these <ahref=http://www.maternityphotoclassics.com/gallery.htmlshots/>shots.

Another thing that I like about shooting outdoors is that it can be done in shade or sun, so it gives a lot of interesting lighting options, especially if you're shooting some rolls in black and white. Keep in mind that the time of day will affect your lighting, so if you're shooting in the middle of the day, obviously you'll have a much stronger light, and using film or regular digital will usually produce harsher images, particularly of the skin. (This is a situation where shooting infrared can produce outstanding results, by the way.) Also, be careful about putting your models in the sun for very long periods, since sun, for long periods, is a skin killer.

And while we're on the topic of lighting, I've gotten great results using varied lighting techniques: the use of backlight or sidelight will usually enhance most photos of people (with or without clothes,) resulting in creative results. Don't be afraid to highlight and shadow different features of your mom-to-be, not just the aforementioned belly shots. Use filters, backlighting and shadow to catch and feature her face's radiant glow and the natural beauty of pregnancy, capturing her expressions from different angles and perspectives. Does your model have tattoos? These can be featured in interesting ways, and using different fabrics, such as lace or gauzy linen, can spark additional creativity. On a technical note, if you're using infrared, shooting with the light source from the back of the photographer or slightly from the side is preferable. As you add infrared shooting to your repertoire, experiment, experiment, experiment; in addition to the learning part, it's fun!

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Re: Getting Creative with Maternity Photography
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 08:30:09 AM »
i'll take a picture of my friend