Magic of Siquijor - Negros Oriental – Philippines

• 10 replies
j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
Magic of Siquijor - Negros Oriental – Philippines
« on: August 16, 2011, 01:49:03 AM »
Siquijor has long been touted as the mysterious island of sorcerers, shamans and witches. Many rituals have been rumored to take place within the deep caverns of its mountains -- ceremonials that were either for healing or for inflicting harm, or even for causing death to a person by means of black magic. Others say the old folks brew their own healing oils and love potions in the dark and eerie caves or in under century old balete trees, wooing the spirits of the dead to furnish them with inhuman strength and powers.
In the year 2000, a documentary film was made on the shamans of Siquijor. This film featured the profile of three healers who claimed to cure almost every ailment known to man with the use of herbs and plants to make magic potions, an odd prayer wheel, and an even odder plethora of incantations and rituals. Could it be just traditional practice, mistaken by many to be a form of sorcery? But then again could it be a true and effective form of healing – one coming from a bizarre kind of magic in the surreal world of witches?
Siquijor Witches
There are two kinds of witches that can be found in the island of Siquijor: one is the Shaman and the other, a Sorcerer. The folk healer or shaman is called mananambal while the sorcerer is called a mambabarang in the local dialect. Their so called healing prowess is derived from an external supernatural source, in this case a saint, an enchanted being or a spirit (of a dead person). The sorcerer is commissioned to cause death or inflict serious illness to an enemy of the client. For these they charge 6,000 to 30,000 pesos. Frequently, these sorcerers are called on to retaliate to adultery, to land grabbing or unsettled land disputes, and theft. Clients from the neighboring islands of Cebu, Dumaguete and Bohol have been said to cross the seas to avail of their services.
Sorcerers
Some of the most well known sorcery rituals are the barang and paktol. Barang happens when the sorcerer, through his magic, uses insects like cockroaches and beetles, to invade the stomach of the victim causing them to swell out of proportion and eventually, to explode. On the other hand, paktol is when the sorcerer implores the help of the spirit of the skull in causing death to an enemy. Typically this is done in enchanted places like the balete tree or deserted caves where evil spirits are believed to dwell. :o
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

felix

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://felix.boholano.net
Re: Magic of Siquijor - Negros Oriental – Philippines
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 03:24:47 AM »
i've heard a lot but none was documented
"Good people are like wind. You cannot see what is inside thier hearts but you can always feel their goodness and sincerity"

http://felix.boholano.net

Mr. Boombastic

• Binagkal Mode Usa Tah..LOL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 10:50:27 AM »

murag tinuod ni kay among mga boy sa una na Manobo...daghang lumay bitbit sa ilang hawak...hahahah
Pag may nagsabi sayo’ng "I DON'T LIKE YOU" wag mong damdamin.. Hilahin m0 k0 at saka m0 sabihin sa kanya’ng "hu cares?!" eto o si KENT mahal na mahal ako!!!

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 12:46:01 PM »

ask Babat foe evidence ;D

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 07:13:33 PM »

CIA saying, “If I tell you, I’ll have to kill you.”  :) ;)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Bigots, be waarrrnned !!!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 07:27:28 PM »
Me has unseen friends here who possess untold extraordinary psychic powers. ;D ;)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 07:32:32 PM by juan »

felix

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 09:18:35 PM »
murag tinuod ni kay among mga boy sa una na Manobo...daghang lumay bitbit sa ilang hawak...hahahah
unya naka score pud bai Kent?
"Good people are like wind. You cannot see what is inside thier hearts but you can always feel their goodness and sincerity"

felix

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 09:19:23 PM »

j

juan

• View Profile
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 08:35:22 PM »
Me has unseen friends here who possess untold extraordinary psychic powers. ;D ;)

Warning!!!!! “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.”- Mark Twain ;D ;)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 08:38:00 PM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 04:31:19 AM »

Ex-'s provincial hometown is in Plaridel. Family -- one of the richest in that island -- owns many lands.

Gilumai tingali ko mao ng syay akong napangasawa. ;D ;)

Strong possibility. Was already an Australian immigrant. Went to Philippines for a sojourn. Been receiving myriad of letters from young Pinays back home. :) ;)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 04:52:24 AM by juan »