92,000 Workers Needed in Australia

• 117 replies
j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
Re: 92,000 Workers Needed in Australia
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2012, 09:30:34 PM »
sounds good...........two on - two off (weeks).  how strenuous is the job? would be nice to get outta here, for a change.  where do I sign up?   ;) :) 8)
What syndrome shall we call this? Hehehe. :) ;)
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Coalition, Greens want Australians to have first option on mine jobs
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2012, 10:29:26 PM »
by: Lanai Vasek From: The Australian May 27, 2012 12:04PM

THE Coalition and the Greens say they will not stand in the way of Labor's push to allow mining magnate Gina Rinehart the right to import more than 1700 migrant labourers on the condition that every effort is made to ensure Australians get access to the jobs first.

Speaking on Sky News's Australian Agenda program opposition finance spokesman Andrew Robb said the Coalition supported enterprise migration agreements "in principle", but wanted to see more detail of the government's current plan.
"We haven't yet seen any detail, not one line of detail in what they have proposed but we do support these kinds of agreements in principle," Mr Robb said.
"Australians who are capable of filling these jobs must be given every opportunity to secure them."
Immigration Minister Chris Bowen on Friday announced that an EMA would be granted for the Roy Hill project - 280km south of Port Headland and 70 per cent owned by Mrs Rinehart's Hancock Prospecting - which would grant 1715 migrant labourers permission to work on the major West Australian iron ore project.
The move struck the ire of Julia Gillard and the nation's most powerful union leaders who said priority should be given to Australian workers.
Greens Leader Christine Milne said her party wanted to see proper parliamentary scrutiny over the EMA scheme, including a parliamentary debate.
"We need to look at ways that we may be able to regulate that process so you do protect the interests of Australians first," Senator Milne told Australian Agenda.
She said if it was proven that foreign workers were needed for the project and there were no other Australians available to do the work, then the party would not stand in the way of the EMA.
But she said training should be given to Australians willing to work before any foreign worker was given a job.
"It may be that we may need workers from elsewhere, but at this stage I am not satisfied that we've adequately looked for those workers at home," Senator Milne said.
"We should be offering the jobs to Australians first and training Australian people to take up those jobs."
Ms Gillard yesterday vowed no foreign worker would take a job that an Australian could do.
"Companies won't be able to bring in foreign workers if there is an Australian ready, able and willing to do the work on the jobs board," the Prime Minister said.
Industry Minister Greg Combet today said construction on the Roy Hill project was expected to begin sometime in 2013/14 and that Mrs Rinehart would be expected to advertise locally for the positions before seeking to employ migrant workers.
"I agree and the government agrees that Australians have got to have a go at getting these jobs," Mr Combet told the ABC's Insiders program.
He said there had also been advance warning of the need for such an EMA to unions, who have been highly critical of the announcement.
"There has been a lot of consultation about an EMA and the need for it," Mr Combet said.
But Australian Workers' Union boss Paul Howes dismissed the plan as "sheer lunacy" and demanded to know why such a decision was made in the same week 800 workers at Qantas and at the Hydro aluminium smelter had lost their jobs.
""I still can't get my head around what genius thought this was a good idea," Mr Howes said.
"It is sheer lunacy in a week where so many jobs have been cut."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2012, 08:28:53 PM »
sounds good...........two on - two off (weeks).  how strenuous is the job? would be nice to get outta here, for a change.  where do I sign up?   ;) :) 8)
Yes, indeed! Very2X strenuous. Not suitable for men. The female gender is better  :) ;) as mining magnates have lately realized. No! No! No! This is not hearsay. Heard straight from the horse's mouth. ;D  
Are you a woman wanting to work in the lucrative mining industry but don't think you'll get a look in because of the mining industry's male-dominated history? Don't worry. There has never been a better time for women to enter the mining industry as the mine bosses are starting to realise the advantages of employing women in an industry where there needs to be great attention to detail and a huge amount of responsibility.

Mining companies are employing women because:
They tend to have great safety records.
Their work ethics are excellent.
The number of skilled women is very high.
Women are gentle on the mining equipment.
They tend to keep their equipment clean.

Whether you're longing for adventure in a distant location or you'd rather stay close to home, there are positions open for women all over Australia, and throughout the world. Roles in remote locations generally require travel to and from the site via plane, with shifts lasting a two or three weeks at a time. Holiday time between shifts is generous, and workers are flown back to their home if they are employed in a FIFO position, if they so desire. Special accommodations can even be made for couples if they'd like the same rostered time off.

Thee are particular positions with women that seem to be popular. These often include dump truck driving, engineering, geology, mobile plant operators, administration, drilling and environmental rehabilitation. There may be other positions you would be suitable if you're a woman looking for a job in the mines, and we can help you decide which roles would be suited to your experience and preferences.

For help getting a start in the mining industry, contact our friendly team for current and realiable information and support.

Not meant to discourage you. You can always give it a try. And ...... best of luck. ;D ;)

j

juan

• View Profile
Gillard's mining jobs mystery
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2012, 01:17:13 AM »
Bernard Keane Published 1:59 PM, 28 May 2012

The government is right to assist mining companies – even those run by Gina Rinehart – to obtain foreign workers for constructing large projects. But not because there’s some basic problem with Australian workers taking mining jobs.

Only last week Labor was boasting about the colossal half-trillion dollar pipeline of investment coming into the resources industry (thereby making a mockery of Tony Abbott’s repeated insistence that the tax would harm the industry), but that pipeline goes nowhere if there aren’t appropriately skilled workers available to build and then run projects.

The basic union contention – despite key figures such as Dave Oliver and Paul Howes having been on the Industry Reference Group for the report by Gary Gray that led to the establishment of Enterprise Migration Agreement – is that Australians are missing out on jobs, particularly those displaced by closures affecting manufacturing. But the problem is there aren’t that many skilled Australians looking for jobs. Gray’s estimate is that the resources sector might be 36,000 tradespeople short by 2015. Worse, given the location of mining industry jobs, it makes little economic sense to assume people from major centres in the eastern states will relocate to take them.

Why? It’s nothing to with laziness or being work-shy. It simply doesn’t add up. The biggest group of unemployed people are married people between 35-54. That means they’re likely to have families. Moving your family to a town adjacent to a major mining project is problematic: wages are likely to be high, but so too will housing costs, cancelling out the benefits of any income rise. Ordinary household supplies will also be more expensive. Access to childcare or education choices for your kids is likely to be very limited, as will healthcare options.

If you opt for the other alternative and become a FIFO worker, that enables you to take a job without relocating, but puts significant strain on families and partners who stay behind.

In short, taking a mining job might be superficially appealing, but anyone with a family would have to think long and hard, especially unemployment nationally is only 5 per cent and the chances of picking up work closer to home are high. Instead, mining is better for singles with no kids. But young, skilled singles are only a small component of our unemployed; 15-19-year-olds form a substantial part, but they tend to have fewer skills – and investment in skills and training is a substantial part of the government’s response to the Gray report.

That’s why when Abbott floated the idea of paying unemployed people $4000 to relocate to mining jobs before the 2010 election he was rebuked even by the normally loyal Coalition ally Mitch Hooke, who noted that mining needed highly skilled workers.

Not that the mining industry is blame free. This is the industry that spent decades regarding its workforce as a burden and unions as an enemy to be smitten hip and thigh at every turn. A key reason  the industry confronts a skills shortage is that it has helped create it by failing to invest in its people, but like businesses in other sectors it now feels free to slough that cost onto taxpayers.

So we’re left with training programs and importing workers to fill the skills gaps that the rapid expansion of the industry have opened up, or major projects get delayed or cancelled. Preventing employers bringing in workers will simply delay projects and drive up the price of labour (which of course unions are happy to see). In 2011 there were more than 70,000 people in Australia on temporary employment visas. The maximum of 1700 that would be employed at the Roy Hill project are a tiny addition to that, providing some context for the bizarre anger that last week’s announcement by Chris Bowen prompted.

Quite why Julia Gillard decided to blame the whole thing on Bowen and Martin Ferguson and claim she wasn’t aware of it is a mystery. What sort of prime minister defends herself by saying she doesn’t know what’s going on within her own government?

This is good policy. Good policy, and bad judgment from the Prime Minister. The story of this government.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 01:33:23 AM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
"Ninety-nine percent of the failures come from people who have the habit of making excuses." (George Washington Carver)
:) ;)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 12:23:13 AM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
Skills shortage in mining sector to worsen
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2012, 12:28:27 AM »
Barry Fitzgerald From: The Australian June 05, 2012 12:00AM

JOB vacancies in the resources industry are set to soar as the task of completing a record $260 billion of new projects and expansions across the country moves into top gear.

The Australian Mines and Metals Association estimates job vacancies in mining, and oil and gas, are running at 6000 positions and could surge to 40,000 vacancies within the next year as 96 resource and energy projects get built or undergo expansions.

The surge means the resources industry is faced with critical shortages across the full sweep of engineering professions, tradespeople, plant operators and machinery operators.

Frustration with the increasing skills shortage and the union backlash against foreign guest workers have prompted an industry call for the Gillard government to look at requiring long-term unemployed to relocate from the cities to take up resource industry jobs or face losing their unemployment benefits.

Pilbara iron ore producer Atlas Iron's executive chairman, David Flanagan, told an investor conference in Melbourne last week that the question that needed to be asked was if it was "sustainable" to have unemployed people drawing social benefits rather than go through the "bother of relocating themselves to work".

Mr Flanagan later said that he was not advocating that "dole bludgers" be kicked off security benefits if they refused to relocate. He said his call was more about how Australia could "encourage the long-term unemployed to get out of their comfort zone".

"I don't know what the long-term solution is," he said.

"I am just posing the question: is it fair on those people who are doing the hard yards with fly-in, fly-out jobs in the industry to subsidise those people who are choosing not to? I reckon it is a fair question for government."

Mr Flanagan said that while there were assistance packages offered to relocate people, they had not been effective.

At Atlas's own operations, Mr Flanagan said it was always hard to fill some positions: drill and blast workers, project managers, civil engineers, surveyors and experienced geologists.

Nev Power, managing director of fellow Pilbara iron ore producer Fortescue Metals Group, had a similar roll call.

"The toughest skills for us to recruit at the moment are civil engineers, experienced mining engineers, mine superintendents and those sorts of people," Mr Power said.

He said that Fortescue had resorted to bringing in workers from overseas with specific skills in some maintenance areas and some production areas.

Mr Power said the present debate on foreign workers filling job vacancies had been taken a "bit out of context".

"Last year Australia had about 56,000 primary 457 visas issued and the majority of those went into NSW and in health, IT and construction," he said.

At the end of March there were 7290 holders of 457 visas working in the mining industry, making it the fifth-biggest user of the temporary visa system. The government has issued the first of its new foreign worker agreements to the $9.5bn Roy Hill iron ore project, 70 per cent owned by Gina Rinehart's Hancock Prospecting.

Mr Power said Fortescue was not having trouble filling its vacancies but he understood that it was "going to be tougher for people that come after us because we got in ahead of the boom cycle in construction".

A resource industry job expo organised by AMMA in Perth last month attracted 14,000 visitors over two days. But AMMA's executive director of industry services, Minna Knight, said that as much as 60 per cent of the crowd had skills that did "not necessarily relate to the resources industry".

"We are just like any other industry; you need to train up," Ms Knight said. "You just can't walk in the door."

The Minerals Council of Australia has blamed the chronic shortage of mining and geoscience professionals on the inability of universities to train enough people to meet industry demand.

The industry group also identified two areas of critical shortage: tradespeople (mechanical and electrical) and experienced miners/plant operators.

j

juan

• View Profile
Procrastination is opportunity's assassin.
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2012, 12:42:06 AM »
"Procrastination is opportunity's assassin." :) ;)
- Victor Kiam

j

juan

• View Profile
2012 Australian mining projects guide for job seekers
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2012, 02:48:54 AM »
30 May, 2012 Jody Elliott, The Resource Channel

Australia now has a total 456 projects in the construction pipeline with 272 of those already committed and/or under construction, with a combined value of $424b.
Another 184 projects are in the pipeline awaiting Final Investment Decision.

Conservative estimations are that approvals for at least $50-80b worth of additional project value will be announced in the next 12 months.

Of the committed projects, the breakdown by state is:
•Western Australia;  89
•Northern Territory;  36
•Queensland;  123
•New South Wales;  94
•Victoria/Tasmania;  53
•South Australia;  61
The major commodities under development are coal, iron ore, liquefied natural gas and coal seam gas.

Whilst the operational numbers are significant, the immediate impact will be felt in the construction space with a peak of 250,000 required between 2013 and 2015.
That’s up from the 75,000 currently employed in the sector.
Even by the second half of 2013, the construction demand is expected to have doubled.

Acute shortages will be felt in the following disciplines:
•Structural Fitters and Welders
•Mechanical Fitters
•Electricians
•Fixed and Mobile Plant Operators
•Structural Steel Fixers
•Motor Mechanics
•Crane Operators
•Carpenters
•Concreters
In addition, Australia is producing fewer than half of its current annual engineering workforce needs.

According to Engineers Australia, even with Australian universities and TAFEs producing around 9,000 graduates annually, Australia is still unable to provide a reliable domestic solution to key engineering shortages.

Over the past six years, more than one in 20 engineering projects did not proceed due to problems recruiting and retaining suitably qualified engineers.

To further demonstrate the lightening speed of demand, 44,600 new jobs were added to the Australian resource sector in the year to February 2012, increasing from 205,000 to 249,700.

This increase cements the industry as the nation’s second biggest provider of new jobs behind health and aged care.

Not surprisingly, the major gains were seen in Western Australia and Queensland which accounted for two-thirds of all new mining jobs.

New South Wales gained an extra 8,700, South Australia 3,100 and Victoria 2,000.

When you read about projects, most will cite large numbers which are inclusive of both the construction and operational workforce.

Whilst you will see many of the ‘operators’ advertising for operational roles or expressions of interest in preparation for major projects, the bulk of the jobs will be in construction and with smaller businesses supplying the works or equipment.

When the general media talks about 10,000 jobs with Gorgon for example, around 2,000 of these are likely to be ongoing operational and the remainder with suppliers or major contractors who are awarded work packages during the construction phase.

This applies to other projects.

When seeking opportunities to work on projects, the following is a guide:

Operational Roles
Will include Engineering, Technical, Functional Support (like HR, Supply, Finance etc) Trades and Operating roles.
Typically, employers/operators will seek candidates who are highly experienced in their area, obviously qualified, and/or for operating roles, will ideally have a trade background.
You will, however, see growing opportunities for trainee positions for operating, and apprenticeships for trades.

Construction Roles:
These will vary considerably and include all types of Engineering functions, including highly specialist Project Engineers and Managers through to Labourers and Trade Assistants.
Work will be with major construction contractors like Monadelphous, Macmahon, NRW Civil and Mining, United, Transfield Services, Thiess etc and generally provide a reasonable tenure on projects.

These types of organisations typically recruit all level of roles depending on the nature of the work package awarded.

Other work will come from smaller suppliers with very specific work packages.

For example, work packages might include the construction of the accommodation village where plumbers, carpenters and formworkers are required, or for diving services, where only highly skilled and qualified divers are required.

When we blog about projects and who has been awarded work packages, we do so to offer information on what type of work will be conducted and who then may be seeking people to complete that work.

This facilitates your own research.

All information collected has been done so through extensive research from public and credible sources and is accurate as at May 2012.

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2012, 09:30:05 PM »
"A lot of people quit looking for work as soon as they find a job." :) ;)
- Zig Ziglar

« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 09:47:02 PM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
Skills shortage is spreading to white collar workers
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2012, 01:01:35 AM »
By Sarah Michael From: news.com.au June 13, 2012 3:38PM

THE skills shortage is hitting white collar workers with sales and marketing roles among the most difficult to fill.

An Australian Institute of Management (AIM) National Salary Survey shows more than two-thirds of large Australian companies would look overseas to fill jobs as the skills gap spreads across industries.

Managers are having the most difficulty recruiting for technical and trade, sales and marketing and construction and engineering jobs, the report found.

“Perception-wise it looks like companies are going to be having certain growing pains and it’s not just the mining industry,” AIM head of research Matt Drinan said.

Peter Noblet, senior regional director at global recruitment firm Hays, said employers are looking overseas to fill marketing jobs because Australian workers are lacking in a combination of skill and experience.

“I understand that can be frustrating for job seekers and it’s frustrating for recruitment companies as well,” he said.

Mr Noblet said that while a lot of people in Australia study marketing degrees, employers were looking for people with specialised experience that “can add some value”.

“When times are tough companies want value out of any dollar they spend and marketing spend is key to that,” he said.

The AIM report found that more than 70.2 per cent of large companies across the nation indicated that they would consider hiring staff from overseas in order to fill skills shortfalls while more than half the companies reported that they already employ overseas workers.

Construction and engineering roles were the most popular jobs firms looked overseas to fill, the report found.

But sales and marketing was the second most popular, with 28.6 per cent of companies that employ migrant workers recruiting them for sales or marketing jobs.

This comes as a report from Hays showed junior and mid management jobs in sales and marketing, and accountancy and finance, were among the most difficult for firms to fill.

The report found 18 per cent of firms are finding it difficult to fill junior sales roles, up 7 per cent from last year.

And 19 per cent of companies are finding it difficult to fill junior finance roles, up 4 per cent from last year.

Hays managing director Nick Deligiannis said the shortage of candidates in general areas and industries can be easily overshadowed by the colossal staffing needs of the mining boom.

“Our survey clearly shows that not only are employers across most industries continuing to register both permanent and temporary jobs, but for positions in demand skills shortages have intensified over the past year,” he said.

Mr Drinan said the recent decision to grant mining billionaire Gina Rinehart's Roy Hill project an enterprise migration agreement (EMA) had placed the spotlight on skills shortages in WA, particularly on the mining sector.

"However, mining companies comprise a comparatively small proportion of Australia's employers and our data indicates that the effects of the skills shortage is being felt across a broad range of industry sectors and job functions, nationally," Mr Drinan said.

"In addition to organisations casting their net beyond our shores to help meet skills shortfalls, or as an alternative to this practice, companies might be wise to look at developing existing staff to help fill skill gaps within their business."

Last month the Federal Government announced more than 1700 foreign workers could be brought in under an EMA for Gina Rinehart's Roy Hill iron ore project in the Pilbara, sparking controversy from unions and the public.

With AAP