The Role of Knight Review On International Student Visa Australia

• 0 replies
j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
February 7, 2012 – Last 30 June 2011, the Hon. Michael Knight AO, who was appointed by the Australian Government to conduct the first strategic review of the student visa Australia program to help enhance the quality, integrity and competitiveness of the student visa program in December 2010, reported to the government the Strategic Review of the Student Visa Program 2011 with 41 recommendations.

The government then responded and supported in principle all of Mr. Knight’s recommendations. However, the government stated that there were some recommendations which have been modified in places to enhance the performance of the Australian education sector and to better safeguard the integrity of the visa system.

Last 5 November 2011, the stage one implementation of the Knight Review changes commenced while stage two are proposed to be implemented by mid 2012 with some other changes proposed to commence in early 2013.

So far, the first tranche of changes includes the reduction of financial requirements for certain student visas Australian applicants, the introduction of a new ‘genuine temporary entrant’ Australian visa requirements for all student visa applicants, widening work rights for all student visa in Australia holders, and allowing research students to work full time during their studies, the elimination of automatic and mandatory cancellation of student visas, and allowing Department of Immigration staff greater discretion in considering cancellation and the introduction of a new work visa for Australia for graduates of universities in Australia which may last between 2 and 4 years, as well discontinuing pre-visa assessment (PVA) policy to help speed up visa processing, among others.

These first salvos of changes were welcomed by the Australian universities, saying that immigration reforms and the removal of tough financial requirements could give the sector a much-needed boost.

On the whole, the changes are most beneficial to university students, particularly those undertaking Master and PhD qualifications by research.

According to Universities Australia CEO, Dr Glenn Withers, “the report’s recommendations have sensibly mirrored the views of the sector as articulated in the universities’ submission to the Review” and the changes undertaken and to be undertaken will “help to maintain an internationally competitive international education sector that confirms Australia as an attractive higher education destination over the long term.”

Moreover, the Group of Eight universities stated that the new work visas and opportunities allowing new PhD students to stay on after graduation would attract more international students to Australia.

Go8 Chair, Professor Paul Greenfield, said that the Knight’s review has truly recognized that universities in Australia are high quality, low risk providers, and the changes undertaken to the risk framework send a clear message that Australian education providers are responsible for ensuring that they uphold quality.
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.