OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Whitney Houston found dead at 48
« on: February 11, 2012, 11:34:16 PM »
Pop Vocal Legend Whitney Houston Found Dead
By Billy Johnson, Jr.

Too many of us—myself included—are guilty of making insensitive jokes about the demise of Whitney Houston, her frail frame, loss of one of pop's purest voices, and battle with drugs.

But none of us are laughing now.

On Saturday, Houston's publicist confirmed to the Associated Press that the award-winning "I Will Always Love You" singer died. She was 48. The timing of her death, the eve of the Grammys, the biggest music event of the year, makes the horrible news even more tragic. According to CNN, Houston was pronounced dead at 3:55 p.m. PT at the Beverly Hilton Hotel.

The Beverly Hilton is the venue for the music industry's most prestigious pre-Grammy party hosted by veteran executive Clive Davis, who discovered Houston.

In an industry flooded with novelty artists, who disappear after scoring one hit, Houston's longevity was unquestioned when she released her debut single, the ballad "You Give Good Love" in February 1985. The song's soothing opening ad-libs displayed her soulful roots while also celebrating her pop sensibilities.

Houston's sound was distinct, and clearly separated her from the funk-laden stylings of the era's other female R&B singers. Plus, she was a model who appeared in "Glamour" and "Cosmopolitan" magazines.

Houston's sound made sense when considering her pedigree. She was the perfect melding of the styles of her mother, gospel singer Cissy Houston; cousin, 1960s pop singer Dionne Warwick; and godmother, queen of soul Aretha Franklin.

Houston's self-titled debut album topped the charts and was certified diamond. Her career was impenetrable throughout the release of several follow up albums, 1987's "Whitney," 1990's "I'm Your Baby Tonight," and 1992's "The Bodyguard" soundtrack.

Houston's fans were concerned when she married R&B bad boy Bobby Brown in 1992, but they professed their happiness.

By the late 1990s, Houston's drug problems began to become tabloid fodder. In a 2002 interview with ABC's Diane Sawyer, Houston admitted to her struggles, but maintained that she was doing fine.

The public received its first real glimpse of Houston behind-the-scenes in 2004 when she appeared on Brown's reality series "Being Bobby Brown." The bad publicity move depicted Houston as profane, combative, and delusional, seemingly supporting the behavior of someone on drugs.

Among the saddest indications of Houston's fall was her 2009 comeback album, "I Look To You." While the album received positive reviews, her live performances signaled that the damage to her voice was beyond repair.

Concertgoers stormed out of her 2010 "Nothing But Love World Tour" angry, complaining that Houston was not fit to sing live, and they demanded that their ticket costs be refunded.

On stage, Houston made light of her vocal struggles, and even seemed to be confident when doing so.

But the public scrutiny intensified, and was followed by additional stints in rehab.

While the cause of death has not yet been revealed, one can only wonder whether it was drug-related.

Anyone who remembers Houston's early work and the impact it had on music can only be saddened by her death.

I extend condolences to her family and friends, especially her daughter, Bobbi Kristina.

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Re: Whitney Houston found dead at 48
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 11:34:45 PM »
She had a beautiful voice and her rendition of the Star Spangled Banner will always remain as the best performance at any venue. She always gave me chills when she sang because of her range and a voice that was as clear as pure spring water. The music world has lost an icon and she will be missed.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 11:34:59 PM by thatsmyboy1992 »

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 11:35:41 PM »
I hope people can remember her for her outstanding voice & not her drug problems.I can't help but wonder how many stars have to die before others learn from their mistakes. My deepest sympathy to Whitneys family, espically her daughter. We will always love you Whitney.

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 11:36:32 PM »
The world has lost a musical legend, we've seen many performers struggle and lose the fight with their demons, but it doesn't make us any less enchanted by what they contributed, especially when at their best. RIP Whitney Houston. Rest. In. Peace. At. Last.

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 11:37:23 PM »
Can't wait to see all the butt kissers come out tomorrow for the grammy's...they turn their back on her..and now that she is dead..they want their sugar coated comments to be all over the blogs..shame on them.

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 11:38:56 PM »
Terrible tragedy... She struggled with drugs for much of her later life but you always rooted for her and hoped she would pull her life back together again. An amazingly talented gifted voice. Such a waste.

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 11:50:03 PM »
R.I.P. Whitney Houston: 1963 - 2012

On Saturday, February 11, the music world lost a legend, when Whitney Houston died suddenly at age 48.

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 06:26:55 AM »
Ten days after the United States went to war in the Persian Gulf, Whitney Houston performed the greatest rendition of the Star Spangled Banner in sports history.

On Jan. 27, 1991, Houston took the field at Tampa Stadium prior to Super Bowl XXV to sing the national anthem. The US was at war in Iraq and the game between the New York Giants and Buffalo Bills was serving as a welcome respite from the televised reports of scud bombs and cease fires.

The pop star had recorded the vocal weeks before in a Los Angeles studio and lip-synched the song at the Super Bowl, but few in the crowd of 73,000 or the 110 million watching at home seemed to notice. Houston's gospel-infused performance and her soaring vocals, all set to the patriotic backdrop of flags and flyovers, are the standard against which all anthems are compared. It's as close to perfect as a human voice can get.

WHITNEY HOUSTON sings a FLAWLESS NATIONAL ANTHEM (CHRISTINA AGUILERA TAKE NOTE)

The beauty of Houston's version is in her restraint. Other vocalists try to make "The Star-Spangled Banner" their own with unnecessary flourishes and self-indulgent arrangements. Whitney let the song stand on its own. She just sang the heck out of it.

Houston had agreed to sing the song a year earlier, long before most Americans had heard of Kuwait. She arranged the song with her musical director Ricky Minor, who later became well known for his same role on "American Idol." It went on to become the fastest-selling single in her record label's history and raised over $500,000 for the American Red Cross.

"I think it was a time when Americans needed to believe in our country." Houston said later that year. "I remember standing there and looking at all those people, and it was like I could see in their faces the hopes and prayers and fears of the entire country."

The famed singer died Saturday at a Beverly Hills hotel. She was 48.

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 08:06:07 PM »
Jennifer Hudson Sings "I Will Always Love You" (While Whitney Houston Stands Up In The Audience) [Tribute]

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshh1xHJnloU1Ac7Fa9E

I have never thought Jennifer Hudson was a very good singer and would never see her in concert or buy a CD by her but she did a pretty good job on this song. I disagree that she made it her own-she sang it just like Whitney but more deep tones to it whhich is not as soulful.One person said thanks to Whitney for the song but it actually belongs to Dolly Parton though I think Whitneys version was much better and more powerful. Jennifer Hudson is a Whitney wannabe and every time I here her she sounds more and more like Whitney. This was a very strange tribute in my opinion with Whitney standing in the aisle-she seemed strung out. And probably was. How many people have to die from drug abuse before people get the message. Most of us got after the first one in our younger days. So the rest are just stupid..

rogergatal

• Administrator
  • "proud to be an MG security, and i'm watching you"
    • View Profile
    • www.hotelsinbohol.com
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 06:25:38 PM »
dubai fountains synchronized tribute for whitney houston

The Dubai Fountain - Tribute to Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You 2012
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 06:26:38 PM by rogergatal »
life is beautiful!