‘She played like a man’ on (Sam Stosur)

• 6 replies

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
‘She played like a man’ on (Sam Stosur)
« on: June 06, 2012, 05:05:13 PM »
It tends to go one of two ways for female tennis stars. If you're cute and feminine, like Maria Sharapova, Serena Williams and Ana Ivanovic, you win, earn millions in endorsements and become among the most recognized athletes in sports. If you're not pinup material, you win and endure taunts that you play like a man.

Sam Stosur defeated Dominika Cibulkova 6-4, 6-1 in a Tuesday quarterfinal at the French Open. After the match, the Slovak suggested to reporters that her loss to the 2011 U.S. Open champion was expected, given that Stosur is a dude.

"I have to say that she played unbelievably today. Her topspin and her serve, I mean, she played like a man, and it's really hard to play against a man. It was driving me crazy on the court today."

For the record: Sam Stosur is not a man. Nor was Amelie Mauresmo, who had to deal with similar nuanced gender critiques throughout her career. Stosur is muscular and athletic, and though she probably doesn't get as many offers to pose for fashion magazines as someone like Cibulkova, she cleans up nicely.

Cibulkova isn't a native English speaker, so I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt on the comments. But then Christopher Clarey of the New York Times explained how Cibulkova backed off her statement when pressed:

Comparing women's players to men has caused controversy in the past. But Cibulkova, when asked later to clarify her comment, said that she did not mean to imply that Stosur had any unfair advantage, only that the heaviness of her ball and her style of play reminded her of playing a man.

"As a player, she's very fit," Cibulkova said. "I'm not saying anything bad. I'm just saying she's playing like a man."

"I mean nobody has a serve like her," Cibulkova added. "She's kicking the serve so much so she gets me out of the court, and her topspin from the forehand, nobody is playing topspin like her. It's more men's style, so it's what I meant."

Cibulkova's backtrack was about as successful as her backhand. She still comes out of the press conference saying Stosur is like a man! Why didn't she just say, "I didn't mean to say she's a man, but she's fit, muscular, plays a little mannish, so yeah, she's basically Tom Selleck in a visor and sunglasses."

j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
Re: ‘She played like a man’ on (Sam Stosur)
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 05:09:39 PM »
Interesting! Same applies for lady miners. Needless to elaborate. :) ;)
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 05:46:14 PM »
Ah yes, twist her words to make it seem like she said the other player was mannish, rather than she played in a style more often seen in men and she's strong and fit. Which is what was said. But by all means, make it sound like a personal attack, rather than a compliment, which I'm sure the winner would think it is.

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 08:10:42 PM »
And how about this comment about women in mining jobs?
These are particular positions with women that seem to be popular. These often include dump truck driving, engineering, geology, mobile plant operators, administration, drilling ??? ;D and environmental rehabilitation. There may be other positions you would be suitable if you're a woman looking for a job in the mines, and we can help you decide which roles would be suited to your experience and preferences.
:) ;)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 08:12:21 PM »
Actually, I thought her response clarified her intention perfectly. She didn't mean to insinuate Stosur was abusing testosterone, she just meant to say she was strong as a man. Maybe Cibulkova needs to work out more, but she doesn't need to apologize.

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 08:30:27 PM »
Fans are almost always subjective depending on who their idol is. As such, the comment can be interpreted either way. :) ;)

Like myself, I certainly prefer that mining companies hire lovely teenage Pinays. Mahoyang ang mga boys.
 ;D ;)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 08:33:53 PM by juan »

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 09:30:48 PM »
I love watching Sam Stosur play, and I have to say the level of women's tennis is almost unbelievable! That's really what I heard that Dominika was saying. We also have to remember these comments are made in the heat of the moment . . . blood is flowing, feelings are at the surface . . . I don't think we should put too much into it.