j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
Re: Filipinos encouraged to apply for Australian visas
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2013, 12:05:59 AM »
go go go priority pala ang mga Pinoy
by: JAMIE WALKER From: The Australian November 01, 2013 12:00AM

LOOK out Canberra. Clive Palmer is heading to federal parliament after a recount affirmed he had won the Queensland seat of Fairfax.

The flamboyant businessman who invested millions in his startup Palmer United Party will be joined by at least two senators, capping the strongest debut in contemporary politics since One Nation had its brief moment in the sun at the state level in Queensland in 1998.

While acknowledging the result of the recount, Queensland's Liberal National Party is keeping its options open to mount a court challenge to Mr Palmer's election.

Accusing PUP of drawing out the recount, LNP state director Brad Henderson said a petition to the Court of Disputed Returns could be lodged within 40 days of the poll being declared.

"Given the sheer scale of this process in terms of the number and nature of challenges and determinations made, the LNP will now take some time to consider its position," Mr Henderson said.

For now, attention will likely turn to the statement of pecuniary interests required of MPs and senators, which promises to provide new insight into Mr Palmer's personal wealth.

His claim to be the $6 billion man is contested, with Forbes magazine putting his wealth at $895 million as of last January.
When he takes his place in parliament in a fortnight, Mr Palmer will have the added distinction of holding its most marginal seat after winning by only 53 votes.

"I'm looking forward to making a positive contribution to the battle of ideas in Canberra," Mr Palmer said last night.
The marathon recount extended his winning margin from 36 to 53 over the LNP's Ted O'Brien.

The process was fraught for the Australian Electoral Commission which faced scathing criticism from Mr Palmer. His party challenged a record 50,099 of the 89,176 ballots cast in Fairfax, pushing the duration of the recount to an unprecedented eight weeks.

Mr Palmer will be joined in parliament from next July by incoming PUP senators Glenn Lazarus, the rugby league great who won in Queensland, and Tasmanian Jacqui Lambie.

In Western Australia, PUP frontrunner Zhenya Wang remains on tenterhooks, along with incumbent Green Scott Ludlam, with their battle for the final senate spot potentially to be decided by a court or even a new election after the AEC yesterday admitted losing nearly 1400 previously counted ballot papers.

Senator Ludlam made a barbed reference to Mr Palmer's wealth in congratulating him on being elected. "Good for him," he told Sky News. "He won a . . . fair election. I wish I had a billion to spend on my campaign."

Mr Palmer, 59, has a strong political pedigree, having served as spokesman to Queensland's longest-serving premier, Joh Bjelke-Petersen, in the late 1980s and then becoming a financial backer of the LNP. A life member of the National Party, he stormed out of the LNP last year after falling out bitterly with Tony Abbott and Queensland Premier Campbell Newman.
Relations between Mr Palmer and the state LNP government remain poisonous. Recently, he claimed to have evidence of corruption among unnamed state ministers.

The Prime Minister will ultimately need the support of the PUP to meet his election commitments to abolish the carbon and mining taxes.

This is good news to Filipino aspirants for Australian mining jobs. Mining magnate Mr. Palmer's Palmer United Party (PUP) will certainly fight to get pending projects off the ground. He’s got lots of money invested in them.
So, kababayans back home!!!! Lodge your resumes.

And may the Force be with you! :) ;)

"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Birthplace of Australian steel to restart mining operations
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2013, 04:37:35 PM »
Time for a commercial break.
 :) ;)

Quote from: juan on October 16, 2013, 09:17:57 AM
Sacrifice sale -- Inheritance Settlement
# 6 Dove St., Isabel Village, Palao, Iligan City, Philippines
Inspect to appreciate
Contact Mr. Jose Y. Tan in the same address.
It's a steal!!!!!

Quote from: juan on November 01, 2013, 02:10:03 PM
Paging Mr. Jose Y. Tan!!!!!
Is your address still # 6 Dove St., Isabel Village, Palao, Iligan City, Philippines?
 :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Quote from: juan on November 03, 2013, 10:22:58 AM
Attention: Bargain hunters!!!!!
Choiced commercial property located at
Cor. Echiverri & Zamora Sts.,
Iligan City, 9200 Philippines.

Contact Ms. Emelita Lee in the same address.
Make an offer

Quote from: juan on November 03, 2013, 10:24:32 AM
Emy,

Please tell my brother to send me copies of sales docs of family properties sold so I can calculate my rightful share of the inheritance.
Make him understand that, if he refuses, his behaviour and action will be tantamount to robbery.

Understand that harbouring a thief is a crime.

Australian Mining 27 May, 2012 AMMA Mining Oil and Gas Jobs

You’ve heard the old saying, ‘It’s not what you know, it’s who you know’.
The prevailing opinion of many jobseekers struggling to break into the resource industry is you must know someone already working in mining to get a job.
While that may have been true in the past, things have changed dramatically in recent times.
The ‘no experience’ conundrum
The most frequently asked questions we receive at Mining Oil and Gas Jobs concern how to get that first job.
A candidate can't gain experience until given a chance, but nobody will employ an inexperienced candidate.
One way is through more apprenticeship and traineeship programs. Australian Mining reported on Rio Tinto’s plans to double their training programs.
Graduate programs have been boosted right through the industry and industry associations are working hard to meet the demand for more training.
While this is great news, it doesn’t address the immediate need for skilled workers.
Many mining companies are looking to complementary industries for their staffing needs.
Transferable skills
Julianne van Kessel, People & Culture Senior Advisor at OZ Minerals, is one hiring manager looking in new places.
“OZ Minerals employs many people from other industries and not just mining."
"With many of our support and trade roles we consider people from a manufacturing, construction or any heavy industry background.”
Another person supporting this change in staffing habits is Skye Britton, HR Administrator at ROCK Australia Mining + Civil.
“We take a lot of people who come from a general labour background whether it is civil, bricklayers, farm hands or factory workers."
“We generally need people who have an HR licence, forklift licence, working at heights, EWP (elevated work platform) and similar qualifications,” explains Ms. Britton.
“These kinds of people generally have the tickets or experience around the kind of machinery used in mining operations.”
Taking a different approach
Even with all the appropriate tickets and licences, many people struggle to get that first foot in the door.
One tactic that has worked for many jobseekers is to take a job that doesn’t require skilled training at all.
Kyla Jones, Site Director at Mining Oil and Gas Jobs advises the best way to get your start is to take a job many workers wouldn’t classify as a traditional ‘mining job’.
“Those types of roles are things like domestic cleaning with site services, gardeners, baggage handlers and bus drivers.” Ms. Jones continues, “You can earn around about $70,000 in a fly-in, fly-out situation.”

If this doesn’t sound like what you had in mind, the biggest benefit to these service jobs might well be getting to know people already in the industry.
“Once you’re in there, then there’s an opportunity to up-skill, retrain and get to know people,“ explains Ms. Jones.
The importance of persistence
Without a doubt, finding the first opportunity can be the hardest for someone wanting a mining career.
Persist in your job search and consider different avenues for entry.
Anyone with a positive mindset and a flexible attitude is going to be attractive to employers.

Would you consider taking an unskilled role just to break in to mining?
•   Make sure to subscribe to our blog http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/our-blog.aspx . We’re publishing new information every day about employment in the Australian resource industry.
•   If you’re looking for a job in mining, energy or oil and gas, make sure you visit our industry jobs board http://www.miningoilandgasjobs.com/ where we only advertise real jobs by real employers.

MANILA, PhilippinesWith the continued labor shortage foreseen in the next ten years, Australia said that it prefers thousands of skilled Filipino workers to fill up the 300,000 job vacancies in its southern region.

Kevin Foley, South Australia’s Deputy Premier and Minister for Industry and Trade, said he conveyed to Philippine Labor Secretary Marianito Roque that his region is targeting Filipinos to work in the medical, construction, electronics and service-oriented sectors.
“Around 300,000 jobs will be opened. We are in need of more nurses, doctors, medical practitioners, highly skilled engineers, welders, chefs and other skilled workers,” Foley said.

Foley said the success of the existing agreements between the Philippines and three Canadian provinces to hire more Filipino workers has been a catalyst for South Australia to follow a similar course.

He said the South Australian mission will be assessing local skills, particularly in the building and motor/metal trades, and see if Australia’s strict immigration requirement can be met through cooperative arrangements for appropriate skills training and mutual recognition of accreditation.

Foley added that the South Australian government is planning a follow-up visit to the Philippines with a business delegation that will include a range of employer representatives in February 2009.

“I have discussed our interest to Secretary Roque, which will act as a precursor to a Memorandum of Understanding between our two governments,” Foley said.

According to Foley, Roque responded favorably to the South Australian government proposal due to its strong credentials in implementing successful immigration, settlement, and cultural integration programs and services for migrants.

The Philippines currently represents South Australia’s sixth largest source market for migrants, many of whom are helping to ease the demand for trade skills at a time the region is experiencing low levels of employment.
South Australia, which is the major construction hub for Australia’s defense maritime vessels and military aircrafts, is one of the eight states and territories of Australia and has a population of only over 1 million.

Its capital city, Adelaide, is considered the gateway to the region.

“We are urging Filipino migrants and businessmen and companies to go to South Australia. It has a safe and comfortable environment and it has a lot to offer in terms of business and labor opportunities,” Foley said. – GMANews.TV

© http://www.gmanews.tv/story/106434/Australia-needs-Pinoys-to-fill-300000-job

The Australian Mining Industry is currently facing a critical skills shortage and the level of growth in jobs is set to continue. Currently only 18% of jobs in the mining industry are filled by women. Increasing the participation of women in the sector is seen as a key strategy to address the current skills shortage. Many companies are looking to improve their recruitment and retention of women as they recognise the significant opportunities to increase business productivity through increasing women’s participation in the sector.
Increased Opportunity for Women
Employment in mining is often characterized by its remote working environments, hard physical labour and long work shifts. In the past, this has contributed to discouraging women from working on the mines, especially if they have children to take care of. Many Mining companies are working hard to redress these and other issues preventing women’s participation. New opportunities for women are being created through:

Flexible work packages
Parent-friendly work rosters
Female-appropriate uniforms
Onsite childcare
Comfortable working conditions
Excellent pay rates
Gender-inclusive work environments
Extended maternity leave
Breast-feeding facilities
Couples on-site housing
Challenges
Despite these new opportunities, it’s important for women to be aware of the challenges they and men may still face working on the mines. Living away from home and loved ones can put pressure on relationships. Long hours and shift work can take its toll, especially on working mothers who must return home to the proverbial ‘second shift’. But if you can master the balance between family demands and mine-based workload, the income advantages and flexible work packages may allow a better lifestyle overall.
Best Mining Jobs for Women
Mining jobs are not all about hard-hats and underground labour. Although many women now work in traditionally male roles, such as drilling and truck driving, employment opportunities are abundant in all fields. It helps if you have previous experience and qualifications, but women can find mining jobs in both skilled and unskilled positions.
Skilled Mining Jobs for Women
As the mining industry continues to grow, Australian companies are crying out for qualified people and women can help meet the skills shortage. Qualifications in the following areas will get you a foot in the door, even if you have no previous experience in mining.

Scientific Roles: Women with scientific university degrees are in high demand. Mining jobs are available for women qualified in geology, geo-science, surveying, engineering, chemical engineering, social science, environment management and mechanical engineering, to name a few.

Business Roles: Naturally, mining is “big business”. This opens the door for women with a business degree, especially in management, accounting, project management, human resources and occupational health and safety.
IT Roles: As the mining industry evolves, so must its supporting information technology (IT) and software. Women can find work in IT areas including database management, systems engineering, helpdesk, systems support and software programming.
Trade-based Roles: Electricians, boilermakers, carpenters and welders are all in demand. There are just as many opportunities for women “tradies” as men.
Hard-Hat Roles: It’s is becoming more common to see women in hard-hat roles as drillers, truck drivers, dump truck operators or mobile plant operators (i.e. driving front-end loaders, bulldozers, excavators, backhoes, graders, scrapers, and forklift trucks). Although you don’t need tertiary qualifications, you will need appropriate Training and Development.
Other Qualified Roles: Think outside the box. There are plenty of jobs in mining that require people who are qualified in non-mining fields. Good examples include qualified support staff who work on-site, including fitness instructors and personal trainers, chefs, psychologists and medical staff.
Unskilled Mining Jobs for Women
Even if you are unqualified, you can still get a job in the mines. In most cases, you will be asked to complete pre-employment training, which usually includes a mine-specific safety induction and first-aid course. Women without professional mine-specific qualifications have found success in the following areas.

Office Administration
Catering (e.g. kitchen assistants, counter-hands)
Cleaning
Field work (data gathering)
Data entry

Women who begin their mining careers in entry-level positions may find opportunities to move into other roles. For example, an office administrator could transition to a job as a haul pack operator.

Click http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/Mining/Your-mining-lifestyle-guide/Women-In-Mining.aspx for more information. :) ;)

« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 05:58:23 PM by juan »

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Re: Birthplace of Australian steel to restart mining operations
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2013, 04:43:34 PM »
Posted: 13/11/2013 8:00:00 AM by Mining Oil and Gas Jobs
Filed under: Oil-and-gas, Training-and-Development, Construction

Iron Knob in South Australia is set to regain an industry after 15 years of separated: Mining has returned. Arrium, has plans for three new pits around the town.

Exports are expected to start late next year and people are already anticipating jobs in the area. “…you might get a career out of it,” said Thomas Thornton, an Iron Knob native who hopes to continue the family legacy and get a mining job. “When I heard the mine was starting up again, I thought I’d come back and do some courses.”

Historically the area was the largest source of iron ore in Australia before the Pilabara was mined, hence the mining operations which ran in the area for over a century. Arrium has approved mining again at a site on the upper Eyre Peninsula, which is said to be one of the richest iron ore deposits in the world.

Preparations for the new mining sites are already underway. Heavy machinery has been hard at work in the area, clearing scrub and topsoil about a kilometre from the town. Soon roads and offices will be created before mining begins in earnest and people start arriving to for the mining jobs.

“The project is expected to include mining operations in the Iron Monarch and Iron Princess pits, as well as the construction of crushing and screening operations and the reinstatement of the rail line,” said Arrium Mining’s general management of development, Gavin Hobart, “Work on the rail line is vital to the efficiency and safety of these operations and will eliminate the need for regular trucking of iron ore from the site, therefore helping to minimise the amount of heavy traffic on that stretch of road.”

The initial outlay for the project is up around $82m this year and around 12 million tonnes of iron ore will be excavated per year for the next ten years.

The town itself is 50KM north of Whyalla in South Australia and residents predict a boost to tourism and redevelopment of the area as an effect of the mine. Due to the location and the nature of the surrounding area, it’s anticipated that it will become an attractive FIFO mining career hotspot.

To read more, click http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/our-blog/november-2013/birthplace-of-australian-steel-to-restart-mining-o.aspx
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 04:49:16 PM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
Life as a FIFO worker
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2013, 05:08:23 PM »
Posted: 15/11/2013 8:00:00 AM by Pete Johnson
Filed under: Mining, Job-seekers

Settling in
I arrived at Barrow Island two years ago with not a clue of what to expect. The welcome,
the accommodation, the actual site and also the people that I would be working in close proximity with for 26 days solid, were all aspects of this FIFO lifestyle that were a mystery to me.

On arrival at the airport, we met with the bus drivers who each had clip boards containing lists of names. We then boarded buses to get to our relevant camps. After a short drive, we reached our camp and were immediately welcomed by ‘meet and greet’ personnel holding up signs saying ‘NEW STARTERS’!

From there, it was all very simple. Camp reception informed us to collect our room keys, attend the camp induction that evening and to be at the bus stop for transport to work the next morning, anytime between 5 and 6am.

The accommodation is quite simply amazing. Great rooms with cable TV, a phone with free calls to nationwide land lines, free internet, soap, towels; and they even provide a laundry service free of charge. Then there are the 2 footballs pitches, 2 swimming pools, cricket pitch, 3 gyms, several bicycles for use, walking tracks and fitness classes. I would describe this not as motel-style accommodation as often perceived, but more of a resort, sort of!

There are four large dining rooms and food is catered for, which is great as you don’t have to worry about shopping for groceries, cooking and cleaning up. People do indulge at times, perhaps due to the ‘free’ aspect, what with roast dinners and pudding every day, but that is an individual choice. A healthy diet and lifestyle can be very easy as well.

What was it like starting work?
A short bus trip the following morning, dressed in my brand new crisp immaculate uniform, and new work boots – yep, I had 'new boy' written all over me! But being new wasn’t so much a challenge; I found the team camaraderie was great. No sooner are you off the bus and directed to your crib and meeting room, you’re greeted by your fellow workers like an old friend. Within a couple of days, in fact, you soon feel like you’ve been there for several months.

Challenges of the FIFO life
It goes without saying that the FIFO life has both its ups and downs. So allow me to address these negatives with facts from myself, a four-year FIFO worker. To start with, the lifestyle involves working in a very hot environment, so be sure to drink plenty and take shade breaks as required. Nobody is pushed to exhaust themselves and everyone’s well-being is prioritised highly as part of the IIF (incident & injury-free) culture here.

As for missing your family, it’s only natural to feel homesick. The FIFO lifestyle does, however, mean that when you do get time off for around 9 days straight, you’re able to make the most out of quality time together with your loved ones.

To sum up, FIFO work and the resources industry is definitely for me, I recommend it to all!

To read more, click http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/our-blog/november-2013/life-as-a-fifo-worker.aspx

Barrow Island [aka Temptation Island :-* aka Island of Love :-*] is located to the north of Onslow and to the west of Karratha (destined to become a world-class city ) in Western Australia's northwest.

Brings back memories of Koolan Island. ... Once upon a time ... way back when. :)

« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 05:18:58 PM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
Koolan Island
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2013, 05:39:37 PM »
Sweet recollections bringing blissful and joyous moments of long ago ... Once upon a time ... Way back when ... In Koolan Island iron ore mine.

Time flies so quickly. Now, all I have are memories pressed between the pages of my mind. Makes me nostalgic when bringing them back. :)

Our office was a donga on top of the quarry overlooking the open pit below. Outside was a 360-degree breathtakingly scenic view of the sea and the neighbouring isles. On a reflective note, it was a prison of beauty -- a chapter in my life. Now, it all seems like just a dream. :-\

Must admit miss those days. 'twas so good to be young, then! :)

Koolan Island
Broadcast 6.30pm on 21/06/2004

Koolan Island is a long way from the 'big smoke'. What would draw people to this speck on the map, just one of about 800 islands that make up the Buccaneer Archipelago, 3500 kilometres north of Perth in Western Australia? First it was pearls, and then iron ore. The island was home to one of Western Australia's richest iron ore mines. At one stage the raw ore was said to be so pure that it was possible to weld rocks together. Despite the riches to be had, life at such a remote mine site was always going to be difficult.  Now, almost all signs of the island's long mining history have been erased.

GEORGE NEGUS: And it's also up there on the Indian Ocean, just off the north-west coast of WA, that we found our next out-of-the-way story location. Indeed, Koolan Island, you could say, is about as far from the big smoke as it's possible to be and still be in this country.

DAVID BATTY, REPORTER: In the early days of the pearl shell industry, in the north-west of WA, hundreds of sailing luggers with their Japanese divers combed the ocean floor looking for the prized shell. A little-known fact is that to keep the luggers upright, many of them carried tons of almost pure iron ore as ballast. The source of this rich mineral deposit was a few hundred kilometres to the north of Broome, in the Buccaneer Archipelago, at Koolan and Cockatoo Islands. To this day, lumps of the glistening ore from the old luggers can be found scattered along Broome's foreshore at low tide.

PETER BIBBY, MINE WORKER: There were so many luggers using this rock and being parked on the shores here where the mangroves are now and these luggers have rotted away and the iron ore has just been left behind on the beach here.

DAVID BATTY: Through the 1940s, mining companies moved in on the rich deposit, and by 1963, BHP had established substantial mining operations on both Cockatoo and Koolan Islands. At the time, these new iron ore mines were the largest and remotest in the country.

PETER BIBBY: The ore body was like a big steep cliff that plunged down into the sea - big blue cliff. Extraordinary sight - the whole side of the island just was iron ore.

DAVID BATTY: The ore is said to be so pure you can weld the rocks together. As a young man, Peter Bibby became a mineworker at the lonely outpost.

PETER BIBBY: Well, when I went to Koolan Island, it was like the big adventure. The whole north of WA was alive with projects. They were exploring for oil, up here, in the Kimberley, and here was this project out on an island. We flew up in a plane, and you just looked down and gasped at it. The sea of a lovely colour, and the sky blue all day and even when the wet started to develop, big thunderclouds were...they were great entertainment, lightning and everything.

DAVID BATTY: At their peak, the islands were home to over 300 people. Whole families were airlifted into a strange new world of heat, humidity, crocodiles and cyclones.

JONATHON UPHILL, MINE MANAGER: I arrived there and I thought, "What on earth have I done?" It was hot! This was in December, about the worst time of year up there, before the rain started. It was hot and steamy and the kids hadn't slept well on the plane - it was an overnight flight. And I thought, "Oh, I think I'd like to turn around and go straight back."

DAVID BATTY: BHP soon recognised the need to break the monotony of island life and encouraged activities which would help create a community atmosphere.

JONATHON UPHILL: You had to make your own social life. There was nothing. No television. It was before television was available there. You could get a scratchy radio reception. So it was up to yourself. You had to make your own entertainment.

PETER BIBBY: You had your job, which was challenging and interesting, and they fed everybody very well, and you had your ration of beer at the end of the day, but you eventually got the message that you were alone on this island with this mob of people around you and you were hemmed in. You were in a kind of prison, really. It's a prison of beauty.

JONATHON UPHILL: The men didn't suffer from the isolation so much because they were working and the guys were up there to earn money, so they were after overtime and work, work, work. But the wives, they would feel the isolation, no doubt about that at all.

PETER BIBBY: BHP wanted families. They knew that single blokes got the work done but they were also a lot of trouble and didn't stay very long. So they had a lot of houses, very fine houses for the time, and they had million-dollar views, all of them, but even those families, you sensed they began to encounter tensions. I know a lot of people, after a while, they got this kind of fever and they had to flee, had to go, or if they stayed, they might've had a breakdown.

DAVID BATTY: With other sources of iron ore in WA proving more profitable, BHP closed their mines on Cockatoo and Koolan by 1992. Up till then, they'd extracted over 67 million tonnes of iron ore.

JONATHON UPHILL: We look back, I think, with quite fond memories of the place. It was a very free, relaxed sort of a lifestyle. To move then back to a big city, as we did to Melbourne, it was strange for a long time.

DAVID BATTY: Today, mining has resumed on Cockatoo Island after a brief stint as a resort, and there's talk of reopening the mine at Koolan.

PETER BIBBY: All those men would remember, and the women that were there with them, they'll remember that as a big adventure in their lives. It certainly made quite a party on Koolan for a while. 

GEORGE NEGUS: A prison of beauty - a good description. Producer David Batty there, and the resourceful Koolan Islanders. Not always entirely harmonious, it would seem, despite their own best efforts. Maybe it's the distance thing.

j

juan

• View Profile
So you want to work in mining?
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2013, 04:45:03 PM »
Posted: 18/11/2013 9:45:03 AM by Mining Oil and Gas Jobs
Filed under: Construction, Job-seekers, Mining, Oil-and-gas, Training-and-Development, Career-resources

Mining is a backbone industry in Australia and one that a lot of people are keen to get into. If you’re just starting out in a mining career and want to find the perfect jobs in mining, then it’s important to carefully plan what you need.

Here are a few top tips to help prepare yourself for life down as a miner.

Research! Find out exactly what life at a mine is like and if it’s really what you want. If you’re being attracted by talk of generous salaries but aren’t aware of the level of commitment and hard work this industry can require, then be careful. You can find out all of the information you need by networking with as many people as possible. There’s nothing like insider information to help you get the honest truth about working life.

The old adage “it’s not what you know but who you know,” is also applicable, as with any industry. When you’re speaking to people with existing mining careers then see if they have any tips or recommendations for openings coming up on their site. It’s important to remember that a good word from an existing employee can improve your mining job application, whether it’s to the company direct or through a recruitment website.

Everyone starting out has to work hard and do a lot to prove themselves within the industry. Take everything in your stride and learn what you can from the tasks you’re assigned. If you’re hauling heavy bags or working in the rain, just remember that this is just another part of the business and your’re playing an essential part.

While training courses are available at most mines, don’t immediately sign up to too many. Spend some time working before you decide what you want to specialise in. If you’ve decided that you want a job in mining then that’s the first step. You’re still new to it, so speak to your company about your strengths, the viability of courses and what your predicted mining career path could be. It’s important to avoid burning out in an intensive environment.

To read more, click http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/our-blog/november-2013/so-you-want-to-work-in-mining.aspx

j

juan

• View Profile
$1.5bn gas project opens in Western Australia
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2013, 07:18:49 PM »
Posted: 26/11/2013 5:00:00 AM by Mining Oil and Gas Jobs
Filed under: Oil-and-gas, Mining

The BHP Billiton and Apache Northwest Macedon domestic gas project has officially been opened by the Honorable Colin Barnett, Premier of Western Australia.

The first gas began on target at the BHP Billiton-operated plant, which processes natural gas from an offshore production lease WA-42-L located in the Exmouth Sub-Basin. Steve Pastor, BHP Billiton Asset President Conventional, said that success in a project like this was a reflection of the environmental protection, economic development and community engagement that went on in the planning stages.

“BHP Billiton is playing an important role in securing a diverse and reliable energy supply for Western Australia,” he said. Macedon is BHP Billiton’s largest operated Australian domestic gas project and is expected to provide gas for the wholesale market in Western Australia until 2033. “The operation will supply 20% of the State’s daily domestic gas supply for consumers and industry,” he went on to say.

BHP Billiton has a strong presence in Western Australia, including oil and gas assets and interests in the North West Shelf and the Exmouth Sub-Basin, which supports a large number of jobs in oil and gas. The new plant builds on this and has a production capacity of up to 200 terrajoules of gas per day. This includes four offshore production wells and an onshore gas treatment plant. This is hosted at the Ashburton North Strategic Industrial Area, that is 17 kilometres south west of Macedon.

Once the gas has been harvested it will be pumped to the Dampier for exportation via theBunbury Natural Gas Pipeline to be sold into the Western Australia market.

Six hundred employees and contractors were involved in the construction project, including an indigenous workforce comprising 10%. During this time, $864m, approximately 60% of the overall project spending, was invested into local businesses and amenities.

Next steps for the project include BHP Billiton investing via their BHP Billiton’s State Development Agreement, which is a community engagement initiative and builds on health and wellbeing with their neighbours. This initiative along with further development could see further gas jobs in the area.

To read more, click http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/our-blog/november-2013/1-5bn-gas-project-opens-in-western-australia.aspx

j

juan

• View Profile
Jobs coup in 50,000 Filipino worker deal for SA
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2013, 07:20:27 PM »
ADELAIDENOW SCOOP: AN IMMIGRATION agreement with the Philippines will deliver up to 50,000 skilled workers to South Australia over the next decade.

Deputy Premier Kevin Foley, who is on a nine-day trade mission to Malaysia and the Philippines, told The Advertiser yesterday a memorandum of understanding between the two governments would help streamline the immigration process.

A special program will be introduced by the Philippines, under its Labour and Employment Secretary Arturo Brion, for SA companies to employ “highly trained” Filipino workers.

About nine million Filipinos work overseas, sending back “remittances” of about $15 billion a year that is vital to the economy of the Philippines.

Despite criticism of the personal and social cost of having 10 per cent of the population registered as Overseas Filipino Workers, the Philippines Government accepts the practice as a reality of life and has a policy of regulation.
Mr Foley said the SA agreement was modelled on a similar one signed in February between the Philippines and the Canadian province of Manitoba.

Under the agreement, yet to be formally signed, registered employers are connected with licensed immigration agencies in the Philippines that will pre-screen and prepare skilled workers to move to SA.

‘”We will work with industry and business to identify the skill gaps and the needs,” Mr Foley said. “We would be the first Australian Government to enter into a formal relationship with the Philippines Government to bring in skilled Filipino labour.
“There is no reason why as early as next year we should not be seeing a flow of workers into South Australia, provided businesses themselves join us in wanting to make this work.

“The Government can only do so much.”

Mr Foley predicted about 50,000 skilled Filipino workers would come to SA in the next five to 10 years, with most expected to become permanent residents. “That is what has happened in Manitoba, Canada, and they have a similar population to us,” he said.

“The mining boom and the defence projects alone will require us to find at least an extra 300,000 workers in the next 10 years. There are simply not enough workers in Australia.

“Filipino workers are attractive because they speak excellent English, and they are very dedicated, disciplined and productive workers, and highly skilled.”

Filipino workers are expected to come to SA for employment in manufacturing, steel fabrication, mining, nursing, hospitality, electronics and advanced manufacturing sectors.

One SA company, which had representatives travelling with Mr Foley, employs about 400 welders, steel fabricators and boilermakers. Half of its workforce already has been sourced from the Philippines.

Mr Foley said a number of SA companies had already “beaten a path to the Philippines to look for workers”.
The visa process and required Federal Government policies were in place, he said.
Most Filipino workers were expected to travel to SA on a 457 visa. That will allow them to stay for between six months and four years for work.

Mr Foley said the biggest hurdle was ensuring the skills obtained in the Philippines by workers were recognised in Australia.
“That will require some form of presence in the Philippines and we may need to sponsor a training institution in the Philippines to ensure workers coming to Australia are properly accredited,” he said.

“That is the biggest challenge but I think we can jump that hurdle relatively easily.”

The State Government already is helping to set up one private training centre in the Philippines to ensure local tradesmen and workers can meet Australian standards and be accredited to work in SA.
[might be a good idea to enquire on this, wardz.]

“We can do better than an ad hoc approach where SA companies come up here on their own, and the Philippines Government also would like to have a co-ordinated approach,” Mr Foley said.

“This won’t solve our skills crisis, but this initiative alone has the potential to help address a looming skills shortage in SA.”
Earlier this week in Malaysia, Mr Foley said he had a “very productive” meeting with the chief executive of Malaysia Airlines to seek more direct flights to Adelaide.

“We are confident they will increase the number of flights into Adelaide,” he said.
The State Government trade delegation returns to Adelaide on Monday.

© http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,24006453-2682,00.html
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 08:05:58 PM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
Re: Jobs coup in 50,000 Filipino worker deal for SA
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2013, 08:00:26 PM »
go go go priority pala ang mga Pinoy
Yet another reason to migrate here. :) ;)