Filipinos encouraged to apply for Australian visas

• 89 replies

wardiflex

• OMG Fanaticz
    • View Profile
Re: Filipinos encouraged to apply for Australian visas
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2014, 10:38:10 PM »
wish i could...
kinsa tong mag pa pintal sa ilang balay etc., just inform me, naa koy kaila nga d best.09487352092

j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2014, 11:37:36 PM »
wish i could...
Where there's a will, there's a way. :) ;)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 11:39:47 PM by juan »
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

wardiflex

• OMG Fanaticz
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2014, 11:48:56 PM »
yesssss....
kinsa tong mag pa pintal sa ilang balay etc., just inform me, naa koy kaila nga d best.09487352092

j

juan

• View Profile
Re: Koolan Island
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2014, 05:58:00 PM »
Sweet recollections bringing blissful and joyous moments of long ago ... Once upon a time ... Way back when ... In Koolan Island iron ore mine.

Time flies so quickly. Now, all I have are memories pressed between the pages of my mind. Makes me nostalgic when bringing them back. :)

Our office was a donga on top of the quarry overlooking the open pit below. Outside was a 360-degree breathtakingly scenic view of the sea and the neighbouring isles. On a reflective note, it was a prison of beauty -- a chapter in my life. Now, it all seems like just a dream. :-\

Must admit miss those days. 'twas so good to be young, then! :)

Koolan Island
Broadcast 6.30pm on 21/06/2004

Koolan Island is a long way from the 'big smoke'. What would draw people to this speck on the map, just one of about 800 islands that make up the Buccaneer Archipelago, 3500 kilometres north of Perth in Western Australia? First it was pearls, and then iron ore. The island was home to one of Western Australia's richest iron ore mines. At one stage the raw ore was said to be so pure that it was possible to weld rocks together. Despite the riches to be had, life at such a remote mine site was always going to be difficult.  Now, almost all signs of the island's long mining history have been erased.

GEORGE NEGUS: And it's also up there on the Indian Ocean, just off the north-west coast of WA, that we found our next out-of-the-way story location. Indeed, Koolan Island, you could say, is about as far from the big smoke as it's possible to be and still be in this country.

DAVID BATTY, REPORTER: In the early days of the pearl shell industry, in the north-west of WA, hundreds of sailing luggers with their Japanese divers combed the ocean floor looking for the prized shell. A little-known fact is that to keep the luggers upright, many of them carried tons of almost pure iron ore as ballast. The source of this rich mineral deposit was a few hundred kilometres to the north of Broome, in the Buccaneer Archipelago, at Koolan and Cockatoo Islands. To this day, lumps of the glistening ore from the old luggers can be found scattered along Broome's foreshore at low tide.

PETER BIBBY, MINE WORKER: There were so many luggers using this rock and being parked on the shores here where the mangroves are now and these luggers have rotted away and the iron ore has just been left behind on the beach here.

DAVID BATTY: Through the 1940s, mining companies moved in on the rich deposit, and by 1963, BHP had established substantial mining operations on both Cockatoo and Koolan Islands. At the time, these new iron ore mines were the largest and remotest in the country.

PETER BIBBY: The ore body was like a big steep cliff that plunged down into the sea - big blue cliff. Extraordinary sight - the whole side of the island just was iron ore.

DAVID BATTY: The ore is said to be so pure you can weld the rocks together. As a young man, Peter Bibby became a mineworker at the lonely outpost.

PETER BIBBY: Well, when I went to Koolan Island, it was like the big adventure. The whole north of WA was alive with projects. They were exploring for oil, up here, in the Kimberley, and here was this project out on an island. We flew up in a plane, and you just looked down and gasped at it. The sea of a lovely colour, and the sky blue all day and even when the wet started to develop, big thunderclouds were...they were great entertainment, lightning and everything.

DAVID BATTY: At their peak, the islands were home to over 300 people. Whole families were airlifted into a strange new world of heat, humidity, crocodiles and cyclones.

JONATHON UPHILL, MINE MANAGER: I arrived there and I thought, "What on earth have I done?" It was hot! This was in December, about the worst time of year up there, before the rain started. It was hot and steamy and the kids hadn't slept well on the plane - it was an overnight flight. And I thought, "Oh, I think I'd like to turn around and go straight back."

DAVID BATTY: BHP soon recognised the need to break the monotony of island life and encouraged activities which would help create a community atmosphere.

JONATHON UPHILL: You had to make your own social life. There was nothing. No television. It was before television was available there. You could get a scratchy radio reception. So it was up to yourself. You had to make your own entertainment.

PETER BIBBY: You had your job, which was challenging and interesting, and they fed everybody very well, and you had your ration of beer at the end of the day, but you eventually got the message that you were alone on this island with this mob of people around you and you were hemmed in. You were in a kind of prison, really. It's a prison of beauty.

JONATHON UPHILL: The men didn't suffer from the isolation so much because they were working and the guys were up there to earn money, so they were after overtime and work, work, work. But the wives, they would feel the isolation, no doubt about that at all.

PETER BIBBY: BHP wanted families. They knew that single blokes got the work done but they were also a lot of trouble and didn't stay very long. So they had a lot of houses, very fine houses for the time, and they had million-dollar views, all of them, but even those families, you sensed they began to encounter tensions. I know a lot of people, after a while, they got this kind of fever and they had to flee, had to go, or if they stayed, they might've had a breakdown.

DAVID BATTY: With other sources of iron ore in WA proving more profitable, BHP closed their mines on Cockatoo and Koolan by 1992. Up till then, they'd extracted over 67 million tonnes of iron ore.

JONATHON UPHILL: We look back, I think, with quite fond memories of the place. It was a very free, relaxed sort of a lifestyle. To move then back to a big city, as we did to Melbourne, it was strange for a long time.

DAVID BATTY: Today, mining has resumed on Cockatoo Island after a brief stint as a resort, and there's talk of reopening the mine at Koolan.

PETER BIBBY: All those men would remember, and the women that were there with them, they'll remember that as a big adventure in their lives. It certainly made quite a party on Koolan for a while. 

GEORGE NEGUS: A prison of beauty - a good description. Producer David Batty there, and the resourceful Koolan Islanders. Not always entirely harmonious, it would seem, despite their own best efforts. Maybe it's the distance thing.

Koolan Island History - end of an era

Australian Mining "A Birds eye view Iron Ore"
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 08:02:33 PM by juan »

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2014, 07:53:20 PM »
wish i could...
basta gusto talaga may paraan, pag ayaw may dahilan naman..hahha

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2014, 08:50:46 PM »
Sweet recollections bringing blissful and joyous moments of long ago ... Once upon a time ... Way back when ... In Koolan Island iron ore mine.

Time flies so quickly. Now, all I have are memories pressed between the pages of my mind. Makes me nostalgic when bringing them back. :)

Our office was a donga on top of the quarry overlooking the open pit below. Outside was a 360-degree breathtakingly scenic view of the sea and the neighbouring isles. On a reflective note, it was a prison of beauty -- a chapter in my life. Now, it all seems like just a dream. :-\

Must admit miss those days. 'twas so good to be young, then! :)

Koolan Island
Broadcast 6.30pm on 21/06/2004

Koolan Island is a long way from the 'big smoke'. What would draw people to this speck on the map, just one of about 800 islands that make up the Buccaneer Archipelago, 3500 kilometres north of Perth in Western Australia? First it was pearls, and then iron ore. The island was home to one of Western Australia's richest iron ore mines. At one stage the raw ore was said to be so pure that it was possible to weld rocks together. Despite the riches to be had, life at such a remote mine site was always going to be difficult.  Now, almost all signs of the island's long mining history have been erased.

GEORGE NEGUS: And it's also up there on the Indian Ocean, just off the north-west coast of WA, that we found our next out-of-the-way story location. Indeed, Koolan Island, you could say, is about as far from the big smoke as it's possible to be and still be in this country.

DAVID BATTY, REPORTER: In the early days of the pearl shell industry, in the north-west of WA, hundreds of sailing luggers with their Japanese divers combed the ocean floor looking for the prized shell. A little-known fact is that to keep the luggers upright, many of them carried tons of almost pure iron ore as ballast. The source of this rich mineral deposit was a few hundred kilometres to the north of Broome, in the Buccaneer Archipelago, at Koolan and Cockatoo Islands. To this day, lumps of the glistening ore from the old luggers can be found scattered along Broome's foreshore at low tide.

PETER BIBBY, MINE WORKER: There were so many luggers using this rock and being parked on the shores here where the mangroves are now and these luggers have rotted away and the iron ore has just been left behind on the beach here.

DAVID BATTY: Through the 1940s, mining companies moved in on the rich deposit, and by 1963, BHP had established substantial mining operations on both Cockatoo and Koolan Islands. At the time, these new iron ore mines were the largest and remotest in the country.

PETER BIBBY: The ore body was like a big steep cliff that plunged down into the sea - big blue cliff. Extraordinary sight - the whole side of the island just was iron ore.

DAVID BATTY: The ore is said to be so pure you can weld the rocks together. As a young man, Peter Bibby became a mineworker at the lonely outpost.

PETER BIBBY: Well, when I went to Koolan Island, it was like the big adventure. The whole north of WA was alive with projects. They were exploring for oil, up here, in the Kimberley, and here was this project out on an island. We flew up in a plane, and you just looked down and gasped at it. The sea of a lovely colour, and the sky blue all day and even when the wet started to develop, big thunderclouds were...they were great entertainment, lightning and everything.

DAVID BATTY: At their peak, the islands were home to over 300 people. Whole families were airlifted into a strange new world of heat, humidity, crocodiles and cyclones.

JONATHON UPHILL, MINE MANAGER: I arrived there and I thought, "What on earth have I done?" It was hot! This was in December, about the worst time of year up there, before the rain started. It was hot and steamy and the kids hadn't slept well on the plane - it was an overnight flight. And I thought, "Oh, I think I'd like to turn around and go straight back."

DAVID BATTY: BHP soon recognised the need to break the monotony of island life and encouraged activities which would help create a community atmosphere.

JONATHON UPHILL: You had to make your own social life. There was nothing. No television. It was before television was available there. You could get a scratchy radio reception. So it was up to yourself. You had to make your own entertainment.

PETER BIBBY: You had your job, which was challenging and interesting, and they fed everybody very well, and you had your ration of beer at the end of the day, but you eventually got the message that you were alone on this island with this mob of people around you and you were hemmed in. You were in a kind of prison, really. It's a prison of beauty.

JONATHON UPHILL: The men didn't suffer from the isolation so much because they were working and the guys were up there to earn money, so they were after overtime and work, work, work. But the wives, they would feel the isolation, no doubt about that at all.

PETER BIBBY: BHP wanted families. They knew that single blokes got the work done but they were also a lot of trouble and didn't stay very long. So they had a lot of houses, very fine houses for the time, and they had million-dollar views, all of them, but even those families, you sensed they began to encounter tensions. I know a lot of people, after a while, they got this kind of fever and they had to flee, had to go, or if they stayed, they might've had a breakdown.

DAVID BATTY: With other sources of iron ore in WA proving more profitable, BHP closed their mines on Cockatoo and Koolan by 1992. Up till then, they'd extracted over 67 million tonnes of iron ore.

JONATHON UPHILL: We look back, I think, with quite fond memories of the place. It was a very free, relaxed sort of a lifestyle. To move then back to a big city, as we did to Melbourne, it was strange for a long time.

DAVID BATTY: Today, mining has resumed on Cockatoo Island after a brief stint as a resort, and there's talk of reopening the mine at Koolan.

PETER BIBBY: All those men would remember, and the women that were there with them, they'll remember that as a big adventure in their lives. It certainly made quite a party on Koolan for a while. 

GEORGE NEGUS: A prison of beauty - a good description. Producer David Batty there, and the resourceful Koolan Islanders. Not always entirely harmonious, it would seem, despite their own best efforts. Maybe it's the distance thing.

Koolan Island Documentaries "Iron Island" (1 of 6)

Koolan Island Documentaries (2 of 6)

Koolan Island Documentaries (3 of 6).avi

Koolan Island Documentaries (4 of 6).avi

Koolan Island Documentaries (5 of 6).avi

Koolan Island Documentaries (6 of 6).avi

The Koolan Experience End of an ERA

My Koolan Island experience "End of an ERA" was 30+ years ago. But memories linger on.
Yes, indeed! It was a prison of beauty -- remember that as a big adventure in my life.
 :)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 09:04:40 PM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2014, 10:47:57 PM »
FIFO Mining Jobs – What’s It Like to Fly In Fly Out?
What is FIFO?
Fly In Fly Out (FIFO) jobs are those where employees fly in to their work site for the duration of their roster, before flying out to their preferred location when off duty. Mining companies provide high-quality lodging, catered meals, cleaning and recreation facilities for workers living on site. This article covers basic information you should know before applying for a FIFO job.

FIFO Accommodation
Mining companies work hard to make mine site living an enticing prospect for potential FIFO candidates. Living quarters can be anything from small portable homes with a private en suite right through to luxury hotel-type accommodation. Regardless of the style, workers can expect fully-equipped rooms with comfortable beds, television, phone and internet connection. Many FIFO workers also have access to a gymnasium and swimming pool, amongst other recreational facilities.

FIFO Rosters
The FIFO lifestyle is dictated by a roster. A typical FIFO roster in mining is 2 weeks on, 1 week off. More remote mining sites may stipulate longer term rosters such as month on, month off rosters. This is due to the increased time and costs of flying workers to and from remote areas. Sites closer to city areas and major airports often allow shorter rosters such as 2 days on, 2 days off. Other common roster periods are 9 days on, 5 days off or 6 days on, 4 days off.

FIFO workers are expected to work long shifts. A 12-hour shift is common but you may be asked to work even more hours - 18-hour shifts are not unheardof.  While on-site, shifts are scheduled 7 days a week. Longer rosters such as month on, month off rosters may allow one day’s rest every second weekend. Most rosters, however, require staff to work every day while on site.

When negotiating a FIFO roster, give careful consideration to your coping abilities. Can you cope with living for extended periods on a mine site, or would you prefer shorter on-site stays? Are you willing to work a combination of day and night shifts, or would you prefer to work only during the day?

Benefits of FIFO
People choose FIFO work for many reasons, some of which are listed here. FIFO arrangements benefit both mining companies and mine employees. For mining companies, FIFO facilitates employment of skilled individuals who would otherwise be unwilling to relocate to remote areas. For employees, the benefits include:
•   Financial rewards. Mining companies pay significant travel and living allowances on top of excellent base salaries. In addition, tax concessions may apply for workers in remote areas.
•   Live anywhere. Skills shortage in Australia means mining companies are willing to fly workers from just about any location. FIFO workers can even live interstate in the location of their choice while continuing to enjoy a mining career. This is especially helpful to FIFO parents with school aged children. Parents can pursue a mining career without disrupting children’s schooling.
•   Extended time off. Long breaks in between shifts give people the chance to travel, pursue hobbies and spend quality time with friends and family. As a FIFO worker, you can choose to fly home or fly to any other location in the world during your rest and relaxation (R&R) period.
•   Changing jobs is easier. FIFO employees can change jobs with minimal disruption to their family and home life. A constant home base and flexible worksite makes it easy for people to change jobs, work assignments and employers to facilitate career growth and secure new income when a project ends.
•   Frequent Flyer Rewards. Depending on the airline use to commute, FIFO staff may enjoy frequent flyer rewards. Even though the employer pays for flights, it is the employee who quickly accumulates points that can be used to offset the costs of leisure holidays.

FIFO Challenges
FIFO creates challenges for the workers themselves, but also for the friends and family they leave behind. These include:
•    Extended periods away from your family and friends
•   Body clock adapting to change in roster from family time in your home base to work roster time
•   The highs of coming home versus lows of leaving for work
•   Relationship strain from being out of the home working long hours
•   Roster changes that make it hard to plan social events in your home base

Whether FIFO benefits make the challenges worthwhile comes down to personal opinion. Many people enjoy the FIFO lifestyle, making it a long term career choice. Other people choose to accept the challenges for a short period of time, in the hope of making fast financial gains.

If you’re considering a FIFO position, try to negotiate a roster that suits your lifestyle. Consider your personal tolerance for working long hours away from home, as well as your family’s ability to cope without you, before committing to any FIFO arrangement.
- See more at: http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/mining/your-mining-lifestyle-guide/fifo-(fly-in-fly-out).aspx#sthash.ewljCQML.dpuf

j

juan

• View Profile

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2014, 05:32:49 PM »
wish i could...
"You get what you get when you go for it."
- from Barry Manilow's "Ready to Take the Chance Again"
 :)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 05:34:16 PM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
It’s no secret that the Australian mining sector pays well
« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2014, 10:16:11 PM »
Posted: 9/12/2014 5:00:00 AM by Mining Oil and Gas Jobs
Filed under: Construction, Job-seekers, Mining, Oil-and-gas, Career-resources

In a recent controversial statement, Mitsui's chief of Australian operations, Yasushi Takahashi said the “inconvenient truth” of Australian mining is that wages are too high. Speaking to the Sydney Morning Herald, he said that it is a “good thing we are seeing high wages in the most liveable country in the world... If that's sustainable that's fine. But one concern is, is it really sustainable?”

The average annual wage for someone working in Australian mining is $138,000, more than double the US average. This has been a point of pride for the industry, but while the commodity sector is engaged in an enormous efficiency drive, thanks largely to a slump in global commodity prices, many bosses such as Takahashi are seeing such high labour costs as prohibitive. Roughly 25% of the cost of running a mine in Australia is comprised of labour, compared to 15% on average worldwide.

His concerns were preceded by a 2014 report by PwC that found Australia's high wages weren't matched by productivity: “Mining equipment in Australia runs at lower annual outputs than most of its global peers”, attributing the shortfall almost entirely to labour.

Of course, this begs the question – would productivity increase if wages were cut? Further, as recognised elsewhere, while some in the industry are seeking work overseas – unable to find employment in their speciality; exploration work in particular is not as available as it was as Australian mining has transitioned from opening new mines to operating those mines – high wages are arguably what brings people back down under.

It's also important to note that even in the wider economic context, mining remains the largest contributor to Australian economic growth, making it essential for us to attract and retain the best people we can. And if that means keeping wages high, that means keeping wages high.

Whatever side you come down on, salaries in Australian mining are higher than elsewhere. That's an issue that won't be going anywhere soon.
Australian mining salaries are the highest in the world. See what you could earn here

- See more at: http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/our-blog/december-2014-(1)/its-no-secret-that-the-australian-mining-sector-pa.aspx#sthash.vIC36bSl.dpuf

More Updates and shocked faces

mabigyan pansin sana to ng mga kababayan natin
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 10:39:54 PM by juan »