Australia needs 40,000 nurses, 250,000 mining workers -- POEA

• 5 replies
j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
01-Jan-12, 7:35 AM | Leonardo V. Micua, Philippine News Agency

DAGUPAN CITY -- A deployment program of the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) to be launched in early 2012 would open opportunities for employment in Australia for Filipino nurses and skilled workers in the construction and mining sectors.

The deployment program was outlined by outgoing POEA Administrator Carlos Cao Jr. consistent with the recent report of Labor Attache Jalilo Dela Torre of the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO) in Canberra on the fast expanding work opportunities in Australia,

Cao said the current shortage of nurses in Australia is at 40,000 until 2015 while the shortage in the construction industry is projected upward to 750,000 construction positions over the next 20 years.

On top of that, 200 “mega” projects are currently lined up but with no available Australian workforce to complete them.

“This is now the opportune time to provide viable solutions to the growing number of jobless and under-employed Filipino nurses now already numbering close to 300,000, including the 68,000 who just recently passed the latest nursing board examinations,” said Cao.

In the same report, Cao noted that while “the Department of Immigration and Citizenship” (DIAC) of Australia lists the Philippines and China as the two countries with the highest number of migrant workers in Australia, still the country's yearly OFW deployment in Australia, with only 899 new hires in 2009 and less than 1,000 in 2010, is too small when compared to their very acute “skills shortage".

Australia is one of the least explored frontiers for skilled Filipino workers and professionals wanting to work in a developed economy offering decent work and decent pay, the report also said.

“With its mining and construction boom that run short of skilled workers and its health care system now with an acute need for registered nurses and other allied professionals, there are tremendous opportunities to widen the gateway for jobs for Filipinos in Australia across all industries and across all states and territories,” Cao said.

Australia as alternative

Cao added that Australia may now turn out to be a large alternative market if the political turmoil in the Middle East and the economic downturn in the Eurozone and in the US continue to deteriorate.

Between 2009 and 2011, Australia took in 107,868 skilled migrants, and between 2011 and 2012, a 17 percent increase is planned, with the Federal Government projecting another 2.4 million migrant skilled workers in the next four years.

By 2050, a quarter of Australia’s population of 23 million will be over 65 years old, and by then, the country will need 5.2 million skilled migrants. Every two minutes and 38 seconds, Australia welcomes a migrant from overseas. It is a multi-cultural society with 7 percent Asians and 2.3 percent aboriginal. Also, 40 percent of the Australian population are foreign-born or with parents overseas.

With Australia’s “huge skills crisis,” the number of workers under the “Skilled Migration Scheme” is capped at 180,000 every year, showing that there is still plenty of territories and possibilities to explore,” the Labor Attache reported.

Cao explained his agency’s “innovative, creative, and proactive” strategy to break through with more aggressiveness on the large Australian job market by overcoming the very stringent 457 visa requirements of Australia, also known as the “sponsored” or the “normal work” visa, and their tough English proficiency tests or “International English Language Testing System” (IELTS).

According to the POEA chief, the solution is for Filipino nurses to now go through a “bridging course” of only about three months to make up for the “gaps” due to the only 10 years of primary education in the Philippines which has only been recently stretched into 12 years like in the rest of the world.

Strictly to be conducted in Australia under Federal Government rules as “bridge training,” and still very expensive, an “innovative” plan has been proposed similar to a “fly now, pay later” arrangement, through which banks accredited by the Philippine government will advance the cost of the “bridging course” by way of “no-collateral” loans to be amortized only once the status of a “registered nurse” has been attained.

Cao noted a very attractive feature of the program which enables a Filipino nurse already registered with the Australian Health Practitioners Registration Agency (AHPRA) with just two years of the regular employment contract, can already apply for permanent residence in Australia together with the spouse and children under a “family and career plan” component of the program.

Cao also emphasized that with salaries equal to those received by Australian nurses, a Filipino nurse’s salary range is between P175,000 and P254,358 a month which is more than enough to amortize in just four years at P34,000 monthly the “bridging scholarship loan.”

The legal and policy issue to be resolved, according to the POEA chief, is whether the POEA can issue “overseas employment certificates” or OECs for Filipino nurses under Australia’s 456 subcategory or “short stay” visas or under 442 “occupational training visa” based on a “conditional contract of employment” preceding the completion of the three-month “bridging training.”

The POEA chief said that the Australian training arrangement can be likened to the Japanese Language Training Course for Filipino nurses and caregivers currently deployed in Japan prior to their regular employment contract, the training for which actually even takes longer at three months in the Philippines and six months thereafter in Japan, under the Japan-Philippines Economic Partnership Agreement (JPEPA).

Cao said that he expects the formal approval by the POEA Governing Board for this forward-looking and innovative overseas employment program for Australia.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 11:27:16 PM by juan »
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Re: Australia needs 40,000 nurses, 250,000 mining workers -- POEA
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 11:38:10 PM »
01-Jan-12, 7:35 AM | Leonardo V. Micua, Philippine News Agency

DAGUPAN CITY -- A deployment program of the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) to be launched in early 2012 would open opportunities for employment in Australia for Filipino nurses and skilled workers in the construction and mining sectors.

Yes, skipper, RG, any inside info on the status of this deployment program? This is 6 months old now. Would be great to be kept up to date on this. Can't find it anywhere in the Internet. :) ;)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 11:50:10 PM by juan »

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Nursing Demand vs Mining Demand
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 07:55:58 PM »
Wonder why this article is highly focused on the nursing demand and not on the mining demand.
40K for the next 3 years is nothing. And, relative to mining, the money isn't all that high either. Gonna be a cutthroat competition for the jobs.
Unlike mining. That's where the real big demand and the real big money is.
:-\ ;)

j

juan

• View Profile
Re: Australia needs 40,000 nurses, 250,000 mining workers -- POEA
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 07:43:00 PM »
Yes, skipper, RG, any inside info on the status of this deployment program? This is 6 months old now. Would be great to be kept up to date on this. Can't find it anywhere in the Internet. :-\ :) ;)

Really want to know where the lovely sheilas are being deployed. So can give them love and comfort in their moments of extreme loneliness. :) ;)
Reach Out, I'll Be There
Sung by: THE FOUR TOPS

Now if you feel that you can't go on (can't go on)
Because all of your hope is gone (all your hope is gone)
And your life is filled with much confusion (much confusion)
Until happiness is just an illusion (happiness is just an illusion)
And your world around is crumbling down, darlin
Reach out come on girl reach on out for me
Reach out reach out for me
I'll be there with a love that will shelter you
I'll be there with a love that will see you through

When you feel lost and about to give up (to give up)
Cause your life just ain't good enough (just ain't good enough)
And your feel the world has grown cold (has grown cold)
And your drifting out all on your own (drifting out on your own)
And you need a hand to hold, darlin
Reach out come on girl reach out for me
Reach out reach out for me
I'll be there to love and comfort you
And I'll be there to cherish and care for you

I'll be there to always see you through
I can tell the way you hang your head (hang your head)
Your not in love now, now your afraid (you're afraid)
And through the tears you look around (look around)
But there's no piece of mind to be found (no piece of mind to be found)
I know what your thinking,
You're alone now, no love of your own, but darling
Reach out come on girl reach out for me
Reach out reach out.......... just look over your shoulder
I'll be there to give you all the love you need
And I'll be there you can always depend on me
I'll be there to always see you through
:) ;)
:-* :-* :-*
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 09:35:21 PM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
STEM Skills Shortage Creates Recruitment Barrier for Resources Industry
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 07:31:28 PM »
Posted: 2/04/2013 5:00:00 AM by Mining Oil and Gas Jobs
Filed under: Energy, Job-seekers, Mining, Training-and-Development, Construction

A new report from the Australian Industry Group found employers are experiencing difficulty finding employees with the appropriate skills. The Lifting our Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) skills report surveyed 500 businesses in across multiple sectors of the economy and found sobering evidence to suggest Australia will fall behind competitively because we won’t be able to meet production and innovation requirements.

Key findings for industry from the STEM skills report
Across the board, industry is having a hard time recruiting candidates with the right STEM skills. Specific roles where employers identify shortages include:

• 41% - technicians and trade workers
• 27% - professionals
• 26% - managers

In addition, the resources industry is suffering STEMS skills shortages including:

• 35% - construction industry
• 37.5% - professional occupations in the mining sector

How the shortages are reflected in the recruitment process
Lack of candidates is the biggest problem but lack of work experience is also a concern for the mining industry. This data reflects what the Australian resources industry employers have been telling us for some time.

What this means for jobseekers
Clearly, anyone who acquires STEM skills will be in high demand. Professional occupations and skilled trades both require more people with training and experience in science, engineering, maths and technology. Mining jobs and construction jobs will be easier to land if you have STEM skills.

To read more, click http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/our-blog/april-2013-(1)/stem-skills-shortage-creates-recruitment-barrier-f.aspx

j

juan

• View Profile
Miners should stop "poaching" workers: Council
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 07:33:16 PM »
Australian Mining 2 May, 2012 Andrew Duffy

A southern Queensland council says it's considering hiring overseas workers to cope with the skills shortage created by the mining industry.
ABC Rural reports Western Downs mayor Ray Brown said the council was joining other non-mining businesses in investigating foreign workers because of the amount of staff they were losing to mining.
Brown said he was aware of agricultural businesses that had already hired foreign workers and there were "massive shortfalls across many industries".
He said mining companies also needed to be held responsible for their development and ensure they had enough workers to fill their expansions.
"They will have to make sure they've got apprentices and trainees on place too instead of poaching off our existing service industries," he said.
Brown said some earth moving contractors in Queensland had to pay the same rates as the mining sector, which was a "huge cost" on some businesses.