Australia seeks foreign workers, but beware of illegal recruiters

• 29 replies
j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
June 16, 2008 | Filed under: Employment,Global Fil.,Immigration | Posted by: Philippine Consulate General Sydney

AN APPARENT SKILLS SHORTAGE is driving Australian companies to hire skilled workers from other countries, and the Philippines is seen as a source country for needed workers. Filipinos seeking overseas work will find Australia a good prospect, but they are warned to beware of illegal recruiters.

The Philippine Consulate General in Sydney received reports of individuals posing as recruiters victimizing Filipinos who wish to work in Australia, following news reports in the Philippines in January 2008 that Australia has 120,000 job openings available to foreigners, especially Filipinos.

Filipinos being recruited for Australia must be aware of the type of visa that their recruiter is applying for them. The type of visa commonly issued to Filipinos hired for work in Australia is the “457 Visa”.

Australian companies who wish to recruit skilled workers must be permitted to do so by the Australian Government. The Government issues to these companies a “Temporary Business Long Stay Visa”, which is also known as the “Standard Business Sponsorship Subclass 457 Visa” or the “457 Visa”, which is then provided to the foreigner workers they employ.

These authorized companies can either directly hire Filipino workers or employ a POEA-accredited manpower agency.

A Filipino who is recruited for Australian employment is matched to an Australian company that has been issued a 457 Visa. The Filipino worker receives the 457 Visa through the Australian Embassy in Manila.

The 457 Visa allows a foreigner temporary long stay for work purposes for a period of six months to four years. This visa does not give permanent residency or migration status.

The Philippine Consulate General in Sydney cautions potential workers for Australia against unlicensed manpower agencies or unauthorized Australian companies who illegally recruit Filipino workers. Illegally-hired foreign workers in Australia are exposed to abuses, hazards, and risks. If they are caught, they are deported and blacklisted from future re-entry into Australia.

The following are signs that a job applicant is being recruited illegally:

* If a recruiter offers long-term work but does not apply the candidate for a 457 Visa, then it may be an indication that the work is not legitimate or that the employment arrangements are not in order.

* If a recruiter offers long-term work but applies the applicant for a Short-Stay Business Visa (also called the “456 Visa”), then it may be an indication that the work is not legitimate or that the employment arrangements are not in order. A 456 visa allows entry for business meetings, or conference- or training-related visits and allows a stay of up to three months. Short-term work of up to six weeks is only permitted in strictly limited circumstances.

* If a recruiter offers long-term work but applies the job applicant only for tourist visa, then it is a definite indication that the work arrangement is not legitimate. Illegal recruiters often apply a victim for a tourist or short stay business visa, and instruct the latter to change his visa status to a long stay or even a permanent residency in Australia. However, such status changes are not usually allowed.

* If a recruiter makes the applicant pay for Australian administrative fees and/or air travel to Australia, then the recruiter is violating Australian laws require a company to shoulder all costs of fees and the worker’s air travel to Australia. The worker must not pay for his air travel to Australia.

Any Filipino, who was recruited to work in Australia under a 457 Business Visa program and was compelled to pay processing fees or air travel to Australia by their recruiter or employer, may lodge a complaint with the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) through email address [email protected].

Finally, Philippine Consul General Maria Theresa P. Lazaro emphasized that Australia does not allow the recruitment of domestic maids and farm workers from overseas. Any manpower agency that claims to be recruiting maids and farm workers for Australia is deceiving applicants.
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

N

Ninquergegoro

• http://hold428.bloghi.com/2012/07/17/thinking-of-togs-take-into-consideration-this-personal.html - info
    • View Profile
    • Dez Bryant Secrets
Secrets About Paulina Gretzky
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 01:04:44 AM »
here  as explained here  located here  from my dear husband.  Would to God thou hadst done it to me instead!"
The hightide lasted seventeen days.  Of no king, I ween, is it told, that
since there is danger among the Huns.  Never again, I trow, will
keeping.  Thou art a queen here.  My father taught me to guard them
The warriors thanked him with true heart void of hate.  He showed them
 example   
What You Have To Know About Dez Bryant
A Fresh Look At Big Brother
All About Jeremy Lin
A Fresh Take On Sage Stallone
What You Need To Know About Jon Lord

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Re: Australia seeks foreign workers, but beware of illegal recruiters
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 06:09:46 AM »
that's cruel!

j

juan

• View Profile
5 More Tips for Spotting a Job Scam
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 09:10:02 PM »
Posted: 30/05/2012 5:00:00 AM by AMMA Mining Oil and Gas Jobs
Filed under: Mining, Oil-and-gas, Job-seekers

One thing you can count on with the resources boom, a new crop of job scammers is always just around the corner. Last week we had over 14,000 jobseekers through the doors at our inaugural mining jobs expo in Perth and we heard a lot of stories that made us downright angry.

Here are some signs you might be dealing with a job scam.

1.They ask you for money. One ambitious job scam is ringing unsuspecting jobseekers with the promise of a job in exchange for $250. If someone guarantees you a job, they’re lying. If they expect you to pay money, they’re running a scam. If they’re doing both, get away from them as fast as you can.

2.The email address on a job posting looks dodgy. Email addresses should have an easily recognizable domain. Anything that looks like [email protected] or [email protected] is a sure sign you should avoid the whole thing.

3.You get an unexplained email. There are tight regulations around sending emails. You should not receive an email from someone you don’t know. Additionally, you should have given express permission to be contacted by email. Best practice says the email should also contain an explanation about why you’re receiving that email. Here’s an example of our permission reminder:

“You are receiving this email because you clicked the box "I wish to receive emails from Mining Oil and Gas Jobs" when you created an account at www.miningoilandgasjobs.com.”

4.The email has the same name – not yours – as both sender and receiver. Playing tricks with email addresses is one way scammers try to get around SPAM filters. If an email lands in your inbox without your name on it, chances are it’s a scam.

5.You’re last in a long chain of recipients, none of whom you know. A recent scam has unsolicited emails being forwarded by at least one 3rd party with no explanation. By creating a long chain of addressees, the scammers are attempting to avoid detection.
Read more about identifying jobs scams on our blog at the Careers and Industry Guide http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/default.aspx :

10 Way to Spot a Job Scam http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/Our-Blog/September-2011/10-Ways-to-Spot-a-Job-Scam.aspx
19 Ways to Spot a Different Kind of Job Scam http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/Our-Blog/February-2012/19-Ways-to-Spot-a-Different-Kind-of-Job-Scam.aspx

What tips do you have for spotting a scam?
For information you can trust:
Don’t forget to subscribe to our blog. We’re publishing new information every day about employment in the Australian resource industry.
If you’re looking for a job in mining, energy or oil and gas, make sure you visit our industry jobs board http://www.miningoilandgasjobs.com/ where we only advertise real jobs by real employers like the ones you just heard from.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Hinchliffe warns of mining job scams
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 09:27:51 PM »
Australian Mining 24 January, 2012 Cole Latimer

Queensland mines minister Stirling Hinchliffe has warned of mining job rorts.

He stated that jobseekers should do their research before singing up to agencies which claim to be a recruiting hub for the resources industry.

"Shonky businesses are targeting jobseekers wanting to get a foot in the door in the mining industry," Hinchliffe said.

"We're hearing about a number of businesses who are overstating the level of assistance they are able to offer jobseekers.

"The last thing we want to see are the hopes - or the hip pockets - of jobseekers being exploited by unscrupulous operators.

"These operations - usually set up online or at suburban shopping centres - offer, for a considerable fee, to include the jobseeker's resume on an exclusive recruitment database that they claim is used by resources companies. As far as we can tell, the database is fictitious and we have no evidence to suggest that these companies have links to resources companies or their recruiters."

In September, David Macartney was charged with four counts of obtaining money by deception and two counts of attempting to dishonestly obtain money after running a mining recruitment scam http://www.miningaustralia.com.au/news/accused-mining-scammer-free-on-bail in Queensland.

The charges allege he defrauded six people out of more than $32,000 after falsely recruiting them to work for a major Western Australian mining company.

The victims were all from the Sunshine Coast and aged from their 20s to 40s.

Police say Macartney posed as a representative from a high profile recruitment agency, and guaranteed people a job in the mining industry if they handed over their money.

They said they became alerted of the scam after officials from the Western Australian company expressed concern at Macartney using their name.

Hinchliffe went on to say that "jobseekers are very unlikely to gain employment as a result of using these firms.

"I urge anyone who has encountered a company like this and has concerns to contact Fair Trading on 13 74 68."

He went on to highlight legitimate mining job avenues such as the upcoming Work For Queensland exhibitions.

"A wide range of major resource companies have already signalled that they will again be represented at the Work For Queensland Expos, and this will be a great chance for jobseekers to make direct contact with companies looking for skilled workers," he said.

"Confirmed exhibitors to date include Thiess, Origin Energy, Downer EDI Mining, Skilled, WorkPac and a number of industry skills bodies."

An analysis into the resources industry shows there is a massive skills shortage.

The analysis comes amid new figures from the Bureau of Statistics showing while job creation across Australia was falling, the shortage in Western Australia and Queensland was still acute.

There will be a shortfall of 30 000 workers across mining in the next five years.

j

juan

• View Profile
Australian Mining Job Scams
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 09:41:53 PM »
June 11, 2012, 6:18 pm James Thomas Today Tonight

With so many high paid fly-in, fly-out mining jobs being sought and offered, new employment agencies are being set up, but are they the real deal?
click http://au.news.yahoo.com/today-tonight/lifestyle/article/-/13922202/mining-jobs-scam/ to watch the video.
  :) ;)

j

juan

• View Profile
Beware of some mining jobs!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 09:53:57 PM »
click http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1943660 for more info on bogus recruiters. :) ;)

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 12:43:32 AM »
that's cruel!
"Was she told when she was young that pain would lead to pleasure, ....."
- excerpt from the Beatles' "Girl" :D ;)

j

juan

• View Profile
Jobseekers, Don’t Fall for This!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 07:36:32 PM »
Posted: 14/11/2012 5:00:00 AM by Mining Oil and Gas Jobs
Filed under: Energy, Job-seekers, Mining, Oil-and-gas, Construction

One thing that never fails to get us riled up at Mining Oil and Gas Jobs is a job scam. The con artists are everywhere, trying to get your money and promising false hope in finding a mining job. We’ve noticed a few new tricks and town and wanted to share them to help you avoid getting taken in.

Information for a fee
An unbelievable number of people are claiming to have inside information about mining companies they’re willing to sell for anywhere from $25 to $250 and even more. Don’t get taken in by these scams. The lists are usually nothing more than contact details you can find on employer websites. Even if they claim to provide names of internal HR people, the information is often out of date. Anyone with your best interests at heart would provide that information free of charge.

Fake Facebook communities
Scammers have taken to Facebook in the hopes of influencing people with their authority. The problem is these sites are not providing information so much as they’re posting paid advertising and making it look like it’s a community. Be careful of the information you find in these sites and the websites they advise you to visit. If a new site has thousands of followers, smart money says they’ve purchased lists of fans and are running only sponsored advertising. Another clue is full names are not used in the posts, only first names and no tags to Facebook profiles. While the information might be exactly what you want to hear, it’s probably fabricated.

Donate now
You should never pay for information about getting a job in the Australian resources industry. Likewise, you should never donate money, either. An informational site or social network asking you for money is just another scam. Industry associations, employer recruitment sites and government websites will give the same information for free.

What this means for jobseekers
Remain vigilant and understand there’s no quick and easy way to break into the resources industry. People guaranteeing you jobs or insider information are suspect, unless they’re attached directly to an industry initiative or are a direct employer. No legitimate recruitment agent will ask a jobseeker for money.  Build your personal networks http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/Our-Blog/November-2012/Networking-Your-Way-to--Your-Next-Job.aspx and rely on organisations who are being transparent and realistic in their advice and have a proven track record. Avoid the shady characters with no public profile making claims of expertise they’ll only part with for a price.

Related reading:
•   10 Ways to Spot a Job Scam http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/Our-Blog/September-2011/10-Ways-to-Spot-a-Job-Scam.aspx
•   Mining Job Scams on the Rise in WA and Throughout Australia http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/Our-Blog/August-2012/Mining-Job-Scams-on-the-Rise-in-WA-and-Throughout-.aspx
•   19 Ways to Spot a Different Kind of Job Scam http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/Our-Blog/February-2012/19-Ways-to-Spot-a-Different-Kind-of-Job-Scam.aspx
•   5 More Tips for Spotting a Job Scam http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/Our-Blog/May-2012/5-more-tips-for-spotting-a-job-scam.aspx

To read more, click http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/Our-Blog/November-2012/Jobseekers-Dont-Fall-for-This.aspx
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 07:46:26 PM by juan »

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 11:17:11 PM »
wow, updated at sino pa nga bang hindi makapag apply nito