Australia seeks foreign workers, but beware of illegal recruiters

• 29 replies
j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
Re: Australia seeks foreign workers, but beware of illegal recruiters
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 04:57:42 PM »
Reminds me of one Cebu Taoist Temple visit many2X years ago. Question was, "Will I ever go abroad"? Answer was, "Build the bridge first".
Write resume first. Make sure it's attractive to the Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS). That's the very first hurdle. Click http://www.mikeygatal.com/connect/index.php?topic=15175.0 .  Then, it's reviewed by the hiring team. Etc., etc. Click http://www.mikeygatal.com/connect/index.php?topic=14951.0 .

As one Aussie said, "I did 200 attempts before landing a mining job. But the reward's worth the effort". Guess depends on how quickly one learns which ropes to pull, so to speak. ;)
Once again, the reality is, there’s no easy way into big money even in the Australian resource industry.
:) ;)
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 07:33:20 PM »
wow, updated at sino pa nga bang hindi makapag apply nito

A very good question. Hehehe. :) ;)

“You can either follow your dreams with determination and persistence until they become true, or you can be blown by the winds of fate - were anything can happen.” :) ;)
- Steven Redhead, The Solution

« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 07:38:57 PM by juan »

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Protect Yourself Against Migration Scams and Fraud
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 06:32:47 PM »
Sometimes emails are sent by people masquerading to be Migration Expert and requesting that you supply personal details, account passwords or payment.
Migration Expert endeavours to ensure that all communication between us and our clients is conducted through our secure Client Area. Any email Migration Expert sends you will have your unique Client ID on it. We will never send an email asking you to update your account password or to provide us with your bank account or credit card details.

What you need to know
•   Providing immigration and visa advice is regulated in most countries, including Australia, Canada, the UK and the US
•   Migration Expert employs only Migration Consultants and Lawyers that are registered with the relevant regulatory body
•   Appointing a Migration Consultant or Lawyer to assist you with your visa application or to provide you with immigration advice does not guarantee you will be granted a visa
•   Only authorised representatives of the appropriate governing body can grant you a visa Migration Expert does not appoint or enter into affiliate arrangements with any third parties.
To read more about who can legally provide immigration advice, please visit our About Us page.

What to look out for
Opportunities that seem too good to be true usually are. Be wary of emails offering the following:
•   Guaranteed visas or employment;
•   Free air tickets or accommodation.
Always check the legitimacy of any email that seems suspicious before you respond. Legitimate companies don't usually use free email providers (such as hotmail) to contact their clients and will have proof read their email for any spelling or grammatical errors.

What to do if you suspect an email
If you have any concerns about the legitimacy of an email from Migration Expert:
•   Do NOT respond to the email
•   Login to your secure Client Area to see our latest communication with you
•   Check that the email sent to you has your unique client id on it
•   Contact our Client Services team (use the contact details on our website) to verify the email
•   Make sure you have up-to-date anti-virus software to protect your computer
•   Report it to Migration Expert immediately, providing a copy of the email
•   If you have supplied your bank account or credit card details, please contact your financial institution immediately and ask for their advice.

If you feel you may have been the victim of fraud contact the Australian Federal Police http://www.afp.gov.au/contact.aspx

Recent fraudulent activity
Below are details of recently identified fraudulent emails.
Scammers are using Migration Expert's brand to falsely offer visa assistance in relation to fake employment opportunities on a cruise ship operated by Crystal Cruises, Inc or Crystal Cruise Line (Sydney) Australia ("Crystal Cruises"). Emails are being sent asking for private details on a false job application. Subsequent emails may include an employment contract, a letter of invitation and an introduction to Lt. Robert P Hook purportedly from Migration Expert who will assist with a visa application. Please be aware that Migration Expert is not affiliated with Crystal Cruises and conducts all communication with its clients through the secure client area of our website.
Scammers are using Migration Expert's brand to falsely advertise visa sponsorship and jobs for restaurant workers. Please be aware that as a legal firm, Migration Expert only offers immigration advice, we do not provide sponsorship to individuals, nor do we arrange employment. Migration Expert does not use public email accounts such as Gmail to communicate with clients, and all communication is carried out through the secure client area of our website.
Spammers are sending emails that use Migration Expert's name and email footer. The email requests that a questionnaire be completed and returned. Upon completion of the questionnaire, a second email is sent requesting scanned documents and payment by Western Union. Migration Expert does not accept Western Union payments and conducts all communication and requests for information through our secure client area.
Spammers are sending emails that use Migration Expert and UK immigration Consultant names. The email requests that payment is made to the Nigeria Landex Freight Courier Service in order to receive documents. All Migration Expert Documents are delivered to clients online through our secure client area. Current Migration Consultants are listed in the Our Registered Immigration Consultants section of the website.
Spammers are sending emails that use the format of Migration Expert's newsletter. The email claims that the client's work permit, entry documents and employment contract are ready. The email asks for payment to be made by Western Union to ship packaged documents. Don't reply to emails requesting payment without checking your payment status through the secure Client Area. Be particularly wary of emails coming from free email providers.
Spammers are sending plain text emails with the Migration Expert logo in numerous places. The email claims that the client's work permit, employment contract and flight is ready and asks for payment to be made to British DHL to ship a package. The email asks for payment to be made by Standard Bank (STD) Money-Gram International Transfer. Don't reply to emails requesting payment without checking your payment status through the secure Client Area. Be particularly wary of emails coming from free email providers.
Spammers are sending emails that use the format of Migration Expert's newsletter. The email claims that the client's work permit, employment contract and flight is ready and asks for payment to be made by Western Union to ship a package. Don't reply to emails requesting payment without checking your payment status through the secure Client Area. Be particularly wary of emails coming from free email providers.

To read more, click http://www.migrationexpert.com.au/migration_expert_australia/fraud_and_scams/
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 06:39:11 PM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
Visa holders targeted by phone scammers
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 07:40:39 PM »
11 December 2012

On 6 December 2012, the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) began urging visa holders to be wary of phone calls impersonating departmental officers seeking payment to fix 'visa irregularities'.

DIAC offers the following information:

The phone scammers are targeting international communities in Australia, including Indian nationals holding temporary resident visas.

Students from overseas and subclass 457 visa holders in the information and communications technology industry are among those in the fraudsters' sights.

A departmental spokesman said it was a well organised ruse to con visa holders into transferring a purported 'penalty payment' offshore when none is needed.

"DIAC has received information from a number of Indian clients who have been contacted by people claiming to be from immigration-related agencies," the spokesman said.

"Conmen claiming to be from fabricated 'Immigration' or 'border security' agencies tell targets their visa details are out of date, specifying an identification number.

"The caller asks them to 'confirm' their identification details, then requests an immediate penalty payment to an offshore address, or else their visa will be cancelled and they could be jailed.

"Anyone phoned by people seeking such payments should refuse to pay, tell the caller you are aware of their scam, that you will be reporting the matter to police, and then hang up", the departmental spokesman said.

"It is important to report such incidents to the relevant state or territory police and to the Immigration Dob-In Line on 1800 009 623."

More information

DIAC's original post is available at:
http://www.newsroom.immi.gov.au/releases/
phone-scam-warning-for-visa-holders-in-australia

For more information on spotting and avoiding scams:
http://www.staysmartonline.gov.au/home_internet_users/
protect_yourself2/avoiding_scams_and_hoaxes

To read more, click http://www.staysmartonline.gov.au/alert_service/advisories/visa_holders_targeted_by_phone_scammers
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 07:49:30 PM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
Avoiding scams and hoaxes
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 08:01:20 PM »
Scam and hoax websites and emails are designed to trick you into disclosing personal information such as bank account details, passwords or credit card numbers.

Scam emails are also often used to con you into paying money for fake get-rich-quick offers, prize or lottery wins or fraudulent or poor quality goods.

Be very suspicious of emails from people or businesses you don't know, particularly ones that promise you money, good health or a solution to all your problems. Anything that looks too good to be true usually is. Be suspicious of unexpected emails from your bank or financial institution. Remember banks don't do business via email and never ask for confidential information via email.

Scammers put a lot of time and money into making emails and websites look real. Don't be fooled. Be suspicious and stay safe!

To read more, click http://www.staysmartonline.gov.au/home_internet_users/protect_yourself2/avoiding_scams_and_hoaxes :) ;)

j

juan

• View Profile
Special Report: Anatomy of a Job Scam
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 03:56:45 PM »
Posted: 2/01/2013 5:00:00 AM by Mining Oil and Gas Jobs
Filed under: Energy, Job-seekers, Mining, Oil-and-gas, Recruitment, Construction

Job scams are rife in the resources industry with new varieties cropping up every day. Just before the Christmas break, we discovered an outfit attempting to run a job scam on the Mining Oil and Gas Jobs site. We immediately removed all the jobs attached to the scam and notified jobseekers who had applied for these jobs. We also got an inside look into how a job scam is run and the warning signs for jobseekers.

This is a true story.

Job scam case study
While we’ve provided several blog posts detailing how to identify a job scam, it’s sometimes easier to see a scam in action. This case study is an actual example taken directly from the December scam we uncovered. We’ve intentionally left all details as they were presented to jobseekers. We’ve removed the name of the jobseeker to protect their identity and privacy.

To read further, click http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/Our-Blog/January-2013-(1)/Special-Report-Anatomy-of-a-Job-Scam.aspx

j

juan

• View Profile
The Subtle Clue You’re Dealing With a Job Scam
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 03:53:17 PM »
Posted: 7/01/2013 5:00:00 AM by Mining Oil and Gas Jobs
Filed under: Recruitment, Job-seekers

Job scammers are getting more sophisticated every day. Sometimes the signs are obvious, but often they’re not. While you may never consider parting with your hard-earned cash to help someone fine you a job, scammers are very adept at making you think you’re dealing with a legitimate firm. We’re seeing an increase in mining job scams, oil and gas job scams and job scams in the resources industry in general. So, how do they convince smart people to send them money?

You have the job!
As discussed in our expose on job scams, Special Report: Anatomy of a Job Scam, it’s common for scammers to make you think you have a job. You usually get an offer and a job contract to sign which helps to convince you the job is real.

The employment contract will mention an obligation of for the employee to pay for the processing of your travel and immigration documents. This is usually buried somewhere in the contract and sounds like a minor fee, at best.

If you see the sentence below, or one similar, you know you’re dealing with a scam.

You will be required to pay for the processing of your travel and immigration documents.
Immigration and travel documents are part of the cost of hire and employers fully expect to pay for this themselves. No legitimate employer will ever ask a potential employee for money to do this. They will never make a job offer conditional on payment of this fee. When you think about it, the fee should be paid to the immigration department, not to the employer.

Truth about immigration
Anyone with expat experience knows the hiring company handles all the travel and immigration processing. A person trying to get through the mire of immigration - no matter what country – is going to be part of a long bureaucratic process. Employers want to ensure their future employees are processed as quickly as possible. What’s more, they almost always have staff or service provider who are experts at doing this.

What this means for jobseekers
If an employer asks you for money for any part of the employment process – you’re dealing with a job scam. If payment of a fee is part of the condition of your employment, you’re dealing with a job scam. If the fee relates to immigration or travel, you’re dealing with a job scam. If you’re promised reimbursement at a future date, you’re dealing with a job scam. No legitimate employer will ever ask you for money for any reason to secure a job.

For more information about job scams, visit the SCAMNET http://www.scamnet.wa.gov.au/scamnet/Home.htm  website. A LinkedIn discussion group called Stop Fraud-Stop Fakes/Stop False addresses recruitment http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Stop-FraudStop-Fakes-Stop-False-4698610?  is another good place to find information about job scams.

To read further, click http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/Our-Blog/January-2013/The-Subtle-Clue-You’re-Dealing-With-a-Job-Scam.aspx

j

juan

• View Profile
7 Important Considerations For Your Next Job Offer
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 05:08:58 PM »
Posted: 14/01/2013 5:00:00 AM by Mining Oil and Gas Jobs
Filed under: Recruitment, Job-seekers

Undoubtedly, hearing you’ve been offered a job – especially if it sounds like your dream job – is a big event. One reason jobseekers are susceptible to scams is because they get caught up in the euphoria of getting a job offer. Spend a bit of time considering what’s actually being offered to avoid turning your dream into a nightmare. You’ll be able to make this important decision with complete confidence.

The Undercover Recruiter wrote a popular blog post titled, 7 Things to Consider Before Accepting a Job Offer http://theundercoverrecruiter.com/7-things-consider-accepting-job-offer/ .  The advice is sound and would prevent jobseekers from falling prey to a job scam if they gave careful consideration to each of the point.

Are you getting what was promised?
Obviously, you’re going to check to make sure the job you applied for is the same job in the contract. If it’s not, you already know you’re in trouble. You also need to beware of a better job or a more senior role offered in the paperwork you’ve been supplied. Often scammers use a blanket contract for everyone.

Is the package fair?
You need to take a hard look at yourself and consider whether your education, skills and experience add up to the offer being made to you. Research what other people are getting for the same sort of roles in reputable companies. It’s easy to get swept up in a “too good to be true” mood but remember it’s just that – Too Good To Be True!

Is the location right for you and your family?
A lot of the job scams are promising overseas work. You have to know most expat assignments are awarded to senior people with valuable skills. It’s unlikely a semi-skilled or unskilled worker will get the opportunity for a lucrative expat package. While this may be stating the obvious, if the new job is in Nigeria, you’d better run the other way.

Do you like the people in the company?
No one conducts legitimate hiring campaigns completely online. At some point in the hiring process, you will meet people from human resources and your future manager. You may get to meet future co-workers or at least get a chance to observe a work site. If you have never laid eyes on anyone in the company prior to signing a contract, you should be very concerned.

Do you know the specific roles and responsibilities for your new job?
Generalisations and vagaries surrounding your tasks and the company expectations of your work are a big warning sign. You should have a comprehensive job description to review as this will be the yardstick your new company uses to complete performance appraisals. It’s also going to help you determine whether your compensation is fair.

What comes next?
You should know prior to signing an employment contract what your prospects are for advancement. Ask for an organisational chart so you can see what chances there are for promotion, how many levels of management are around and where you fit into the organisation.

How does it compare to the job you currently have?
If you’ve been trying to break into mining job, you might be willing to do any job. Make sure you’re going for a legitimate job and you’re going for the right reasons. Check out Karen Thompson’s blog post called New Year . . . New Job?  to determine whether you’re making a move for the right reasons.

What this means for jobseekers
Job scammers are exploiting jobseekers who are feeling desperate by playing on their emotions and appealing to their ego. If a job sounds too good to be true; it is.

To read more, click http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/Our-Blog/January-2013/7-IImportant-Considerations-For-Your-Next-Job-Offe.aspx

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 10:58:32 PM »
just beware of illegal recruiters!

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2013, 05:16:06 PM »
just beware of illegal recruiters!

Not so easy. They're smart. Otherwise, they won't thrive. Like me. Thrive on inhospitable ground. Hehe :) ;)
Reminds me. Gotta give Tart more lessons on how to scam you.
  ;D ;D ;D :) ;)