• 0 replies
j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
Yancoal to review growth plans
« on: September 13, 2012, 11:34:44 PM »
By Rhiannon Hoyle  From: Dow Jones Newswires  September 14, 2012 4:00PM

A SHARP pullback in the value of commodities like coal and iron-ore in recent months was "a rude awakening" for Australia's mining industry that's likely spur further production cuts, Yancoal Australia managing director Murray Bailey said today.
The commodity price declines were somewhat inevitable after stimulus measures rolled out in China in response to the financial crisis of 2008 drove the value of raw materials to record levels, Mr Bailey said at the Australia in China's Century conference in Sydney today.
The price of thermal coal - which is used for power generation across Asia and accounts for almost half of Yancoal's sales - has fallen 21 per c ent so far this year. Hard coking coal, used in steel-making, has fallen 29 per cent.
It would be a "natural reaction" for mining companies to slow their rate of production, contain costs, and boost productivity in response to this, Mr Bailey said.
Last month Chinese-backed Yancoal, which was formed through Yanzhou Coal's recent takeover of Gloucester Coal and listed on the Australian Securities Exchange in June, said it would review expansion plans at all seven of its mines across the Queensland and New South Wales.
Other mining companies have also been curbing growth plans and idling production at existing mines following the pullback in prices. Earlier this week, BHP Billiton said it would cease production at one of its jointly owned metallurgical coal mines in northeastern Australia. Xstrata recently trimmed 600 jobs across its Australian coal operations.
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.