• 2 replies
j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
Premier says mining will sustain the economy
« on: September 13, 2012, 11:47:18 PM »
ABC News 14 September 2012 3:50PM

The West Australian Premier has played down the impact of falling iron ore prices on the Australian economy.
Colin Barnett has told a business conference in Sydney, the impact of the mining industry should not be exaggerated or blamed for other economic problems.

He has also warned that while Chinese demand will continue to sustain WA, the Australian dollar cannot be relied on to cushion the economy.
"For decades, the Australian dollar has slavishly followed commodity prices," he said.
"This time we've seen commodity prices fall over the last few weeks, the Australian dollar hasn't followed it down, as the Australian dollar is seen as a safe haven in a troubled financial world.
"That protective mechanism is no longer there. I'm not being boastful about Western Australia, I hope it doesn't sound that way, I'm simply trying to make the point, we know what we're doing and you guys have got some problems, you need to wake up to it. "
Mr Barnett says the fall in the price of iron ore will not lead Australia into recession.
"It doesn't need to be exaggerated and it doesn't need to be blamed for other problems. As if a fall iron ore prices, one commodity, can drive the Australian economy into recession. I mean, the level of commentary is lacking on that," he said.
He also had a message for east coast commentators on the way WA manages the mining industry.
"I don't know what you think of Western Australians," he said.
"My state has been variously described as a dig it up, ship it out economy. Not true. The scale, the technology and the science that goes into mining is world leading, absolutely world leading.
"Other people think that we're just China's quarry, no, that's not true, and others think we're just bogans and billionaires. Well, if we are, we know what we're doing, just leave us alone."
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 11:51:05 PM by juan »
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Re: Premier says mining will sustain the economy
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 11:55:07 PM »
Australian Mining 7 September, 2012 Andrew Duffy

Western Australia Premier Colin Barnett says the state's resources sector will need another 100,000 skilled workers in the future.
Despite mining companies in Queensland and WA slashing jobs Barnett said the resources sector was still set to grow.

ABC News http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-06/barnett-says-wa-needs-more-skilled-workers/4247250 reports Barnett also said the fall in commodity prices would be a temporary problem for the industry.
"Through this decade we expect liquefied natural gas production to treble and we expect iron ore production to double," he said.
"There's probably the need for another 100,000 people to come across into Western Australia and take up jobs."
Earlier this week Pilbara miner Fortescue Metals Group signaled it would cut up to 1,000 jobs http://www.miningaustralia.com.au/news/shaky-fmg-cuts-jobs-expansions-and-assets to stay profitable.
BHP Billiton has also announced delays to some Pilbara expansions http://www.miningaustralia.com.au/news/prepare-for-delays-bhp-tells-workers as the falling iron ore price squeezes margins on all producers.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Re: Premier says mining will sustain the economy
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 08:18:57 PM »
One reason chose Aus, 30 yrs ago, was because exchange rate was US$1.20 = Aus$1. Could send home more money. 3 yrs later, nosedived to US$0.57, 'coz of the opening of the iron mine in Brazil which has hi-grade iron ore deposit enough to supply earth for 500yrs. Competiting Aus, the biggest exporter of iron ore to Russia, China, and rest of Asia.
Also, a technological breakthrough in farming lead to surplus in USA. Rather than burn their surplus wheat, etc and slaughter their cows, etc, Uncle Sam subsidized farming in the form of reduced tariff. Leading to a drop in price. Again, competiting Aus, the largest exporter of these products to Russia, China, etc.

Has never recovered. But now, creeping up. Current rate is US$1.07. One advantage of living in Aus is its resilient ability. Yet another reason for sheilas to choose Aus instead of USA. Hehehe. :) ;)
Expecting a similar scenario now. Instead, the Aus currency remains steady. Sometimes, even stronger. Shows that money from investors is still pouring in. Signs still having confidence in the Aus economy.
For the mega-projects, the shortage in the Australian construction industry is projected up to 750,000 over the next 20 years http://www.mikeygatal.com/connect/index.php?topic=14720.0. Merely the tip of the iceberg.
With many projects held in abeyance due to drop in commodity prices (believe, also, lack of manpower), where’s the money invested, then? More likely, on exploration. 2/3 of WA is yet to be explored. So that, when the prices pick up, know where to mine next.
But can’t proceed mining without enough manpower. Gotta provide adequate training for unskilled workers to assume role when the time comes.

Yes, indeed! There’s gonna be real massive mining activity in the not so distant future.
:) ;)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 08:53:45 PM by juan »