• 1 replies
j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
Firms must engage more: Rio
« on: September 27, 2012, 08:14:03 PM »
by: Rosanne Barrett From: The Australian September 28, 2012 11:55AM

RIO Tinto executive Bill Champion has defended his mining company amid an "ever widening expectations gap" between societal expectations and industry performance.
The international mining giant’s managing director of coal operations in Australia said stakeholder and community expectations were growing exponentially and it was essential companies engaged to maintain their “social licence''.

“It is true we are operating in a changing world and a long-term commitment to sustainable development helps us to navigate through it,'' he said.
“There is a clear and increasing expectation from local communities that our operations will bring benefits in terms of economic development.
“This goes to our social licence to operate.”
Speaking at Griffith University's Necessary Transition conference in Brisbane today, Mr Champion said a three-cornered approach between business, community and government was required for the optimal performance of all aspects of society.
“We cannot have a successful society without successful business, and both need an inclusive government,'' he said.
“We need all three and too much of the debate is about only one of these rather than their interdependency.
“The most value comes at the intersection of what business wants and what society wants -- that is where there is alignment of goals.”

Mr Champion said sustainable development had been important in mining operations over the last 25 years, trying to address shortcomings in existing approaches.
He said earlier, businesses had “got it wrong'' but the industry had continuous improvement.
He cited examples of carbon capture research through universities, a trial project to pre-drain coal seam methane at a NSW mine, and liaison with councils for community projects in Queensland.

"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
Re: Firms must engage more: Rio
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 08:16:41 PM »

“Interdependence is better than independence” :) ;)
- Covey

"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.