The human face of FIFO

• 14 replies
j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
"Its a hard game to be in you have to make sacrifices to get ahead, either be in the game and stop complaining or just get out all together and work in town.

My recommendations are do it for a year or two make some good money invest that money take a break from the game and then get back in again, don't live like royals just do what you got to do to get by and enjoy the boom while you can. It wont be around forever... (cloncurry_85)"

Having had personal experience working in the mines myself (not on FIFO), would endorse this recommendation. :) ;)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 12:34:54 AM by juan »
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Despite wealth for toil, FIFO workers find themselves sick and tired [Blog]
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 12:26:52 AM »
Would love to go back but, as before, not on FIFO. Hehehe. :) ;)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Re: The human face of FIFO
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 03:56:13 AM »
"Its a hard game to be in you have to make sacrifices to get ahead, either be in the game and stop complaining or just get out all together and work in town.

My recommendations are do it for a year or two make some good money invest that money take a break from the game and then get back in again, don't live like royals just do what you got to do to get by and enjoy the boom while you can. It wont be around forever... (cloncurry_85)"

Having had personal experience working in the mines myself (not on FIFO), would endorse this recommendation. :) ;)
e.g., an engr, like Zulacs, could invest her money to enhance her skills. I.e., take a break and enrol in structural engineering. And, then, get back in again after grad.
Possible, too, that the company will provide scholarship grant for her. But she'll have to sign a work contract in return. Hehe :) ;)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 04:38:33 AM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
Fear FIFO dollar signs masking mental stress
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 10:08:03 PM »
by: RICK MORTON From: The Australian March 19, 2013 12:00AM

A BOOM-TIME for fly-in, fly-out workers in the resources economy has led to concerns about the mental wellbeing of transitory workers, prompting some of Australia's largest companies to expand support services for struggling workers and their families.

The Australian revealed yesterday about 100,000 workers fly or drive long distances for work in the resource and resource-allied sectors, but the true effect on workers had become clear at the highest levels of business only in the past three years.

John Holland Group project supervisor Paul Sudholz, 39, has been a FIFO employee for the past decade and oversees a roster of workers for the construction company as it extends wharves for miner Rio Tinto in the Pilbara.

In that time he met and married wife Jenn and has helped raise a son, Frederick, now 2.
"Having the little boy makes the long rosters even tougher. It's a difficult game to be in and I think a lot of the new workers see the dollar signs on the job and might not realise it comes with problems, too," he said.

The three weeks on and one week off roster has meant Mrs Sudholz, 38, has spent the past two years effectively as a single parent.

"You learn to make the sacrifices, but it's been a huge help with the support services, particularly with John Holland."
The company has been trialling the Working Away Support Program, which executive general manager of energy and resources Brendan Petersen said evolved because of employee feedback.

"I think we joined the dots, as a company, but not just for the mental health of our employees but also for the families they leave behind to do the work," he said.
"The battle we fought, and that other companies are fighting, is one of being attuned to the issues and culturally aware.
"We also wanted to test the take-up rate. We were not very sure how well the men and women would respond because the need for support in this sector can sometimes be seen as a weakness.

"There is nothing wrong with needing help."

The company offers barbecues for isolated families, counselling services for the workers and their partners and online support.
Lifeline WA chief executive Fiona Kalaf said mining and construction workers living isolated lives in remote communities were at a higher risk of depression and suicide than almost all other groups. She has commissioned what she hopes will be the largest study of FIFO workers to bring those effects out into the open.

"What we didn't do, however, is approach the study from a deficit point of view," she said.

"We know the lifestyle also brings many benefits and we hope to have a full picture when the research is ready later this year."

Australasian Centre for Rural and Remote Mental Health chief executive Jennifer Bowers said companies like Thiess and Byrnecut Mining had addressed mental health concerns in their FIFO workforces.

"The workers all know it's a problem, but the trouble has been getting the message to the executives in head office," she said.

Support is a precious safety net for the Sudholz family.

"The hardest part is that Frederick now knows a trip to the airport means daddy has to go away again; that can be quite distressing," Mrs Sudholz said.

j

juan

• View Profile
National FIFO conference kicks off in Rockhampton
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 08:33:16 PM »
ABC News By Emilie Gramenz and Kallee Buchanan
Posted 2 hours 6 minutes ago

Central Queensland is hosting a national conference on fly-in, fly-out (FIFO) work practices in Rockhampton today.
A federal parliamentary inquiry into work practices has recommended a review.

Today's conference will discuss balancing the needs of workers, industry and local communities.
Federal independent MP Tony Windsor and the Member for Capricornia, Kirsten Livermore, will speak at the conference.
Professor Drew Dawson from CQ University has studied the submissions and says his presentation to the conference will give stakeholders a "big picture" view.

"There were very, very polarised views," he said.

"Community members saying 'our towns aren't like they used to be - people just come in and go out'.
"People saying 'well, there's no housing so I can't stay and my partner works, to live in one of these regional communities there'd be no work for them'.

"Views from the mining companies to say 'well, there are no alternatives and we have to do this and there are no problems'."
Professor Dawson says there is not a clear process for determining the social impact of a mine.

"We're suggesting before a mine goes into place there should be both an environmental impact assessment and a social impact assessment on how they're going to minimise damage and maximise the benefits," he said.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 09:31:16 PM by juan »