Jeremy Lin says he's hit by racism in GQ cover story

• 5 replies

bby_lai

• love fearlessly......
    • View Profile
Jeremy Lin says he's hit by racism in GQ cover story
« on: October 17, 2012, 02:53:39 AM »

Jeremy Lin, the NBA playmaker of Taiwan and Chinese heritage whose rise last season sparked "Lin-sanity" worldwide, told GQ Magazine in a cover story that he still feels the sting of racist attitudes.
"I'm going to have to play well for a longer period of time for certain people to believe it because I'm Asian. And that's just the reality of it," Lin told GQ in a story from the November issue posted on the magazine website.
Lin is featured on the cover wearing a suit and basketball shoes and holding a basketball in his left hand with a headline: "Jeremy Lin will not be denied".
"I dont always pass with my left, but when I do, its for GQ... thanks," Lin posted Tuesday on his Twitter page.
Lin, a 24-year-old Harvard graduate, was pulled off the bench for the New York Knicks last season when the club had two starters felled by injury. He shocked everyone with a star turn that sparked a win streak and "Lin-sanity".
The starters returned and so did reality but the Knicks reached the playoffs and Lin was expected to play a role for new York in the upcoming season.
But when the Houston Rockets made an offer of $25 million for three years and the Knicks refused to match it, Lin departed for the Texas club where retired Chinese star center Yao Ming played his entire NBA career.
"When we had Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady, those were our centerpieces," Rockets general manager Daryl Morey told GQ.
"Right now we're really sort of figuring out who those foundational players will be but if you had to ask me who's most likely to be that guy, I think Jeremy Lin's number one."
Lin, however, says he still feels a sense of bigotry toward him, that people see his skills as more limited because of his unique status as the NBA's first Asian-American player.
"If I can be honest, yes. It's not even close to the only reason, but it was definitely part of the reason," Lin said.
"There's a lot of perceptions and stereotypes of Asian-Americans that are out there today and the fact that I'm Asian-American makes it harder to believe, even crazier, more unexpected."
Lin cited remarks by NBA television commentator Charles Barkley about Yao when the Chinese superstar was made the top pick of the 2002 NBA Draft by Houston.
"When Yao came out his rookie year as the first pick of the draft, you have Charles Barkley saying, 'If he scores 17 points in a game, I'm going to kiss a donkey's butt,'" Lin says.
"If you (play well) for long enough, I think you would get the respect."
Lin felt racism slaps last season such as an ESPN website headline "Chink in the armor" after he had a poor showing on the court.
"In my younger days, it would make me really angry," Lin said. "I think the comments in college were pure racism. Stuff that was said by opposing players, opposing fans, opposing coaches. So none of this was even close to that."
Lin became a star in Taiwan, his parents' homeland, and China, where one of his grandparents is from. He recalled being so mobbed during an Asian visit in the off-season that he rarely escaped his hotel room.
"It's a unique thing that I have this platform and I can grow the game there, but honestly, I find it a bit scary."
Lin also related how he expected to return to New York even after signing an offer from the Rockets, hoping to ensure a salary boost from the Knicks.
"The Rockets thought I was going to be a Knick," Lin says. "They told me when I signed there, 'We think it's an 80 to 95 percent chance of that happening.' That was consistent with what everyone was saying to me.
"The thing about it is, there was no other way to handle the situation. I didn't get an offer from the Knicks, so I had to go test my market."
Lin also told GQ that he knows he has much more to learn and must do more to put himself among the upper level of NBA playmakers.
"People are always saying, 'He has only started 25 games. There are so many uncertainties.' And I agree," Lin said. "Things that I struggled with before last year, I'm going to struggle with next year. There's that learning process.
"I have to get better.
"I totally hear and agree with people who are like, 'He still has to learn. He's not established enough. He hasn't done it long enough.' I agree with them.
"I'm trying to find a balance. I'm not like the next Michael Jordan, but I'm also not what everyone saw me as before I started playing in the NBA, either."
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 02:55:42 AM by bby_lai »
Just be yourself,. Life is too short to be someone else

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Re: Jeremy Lin says he's hit by racism in GQ cover story
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 07:18:30 AM »
still happening worldwide?

bby_lai

• love fearlessly......
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 06:26:11 AM »
yes kuya mikey :) hehe
Just be yourself,. Life is too short to be someone else

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 07:07:08 AM »
how about Psy?

j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 07:51:59 AM »
still happening worldwide?

Yep. Last week(?) there was a riot here. Started(?) by middle easterners.
Before the targets were Asians -- especially Chinese. Treated as second class Aussies. Not too keen to do that anymore. China's an economic superpower. Australia's major customer. :) ;)
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 11:08:52 AM »
Yep. Last week(?) there was a riot here. Started(?) by middle easterners.
Before the targets were Asians -- especially Chinese. Treated as second class Aussies. Not too keen to do that anymore. China's an economic superpower. Australia's major customer. :) ;)
how about Koreans? Gangnam Style!