Filipino teachers continue to fly to US for higher pay

• 8 replies
Filipino teachers continue to fly to US for higher pay
« on: November 07, 2012, 04:03:18 PM »

MANILA, Philippines?More and more competent Filipino teachers are flocking to the United States where they are paid more, according to the Philippine Embassy in Washington.

The embassy, in a statement, said that only last week, 93 Filipino teachers arrived in the US and were welcomed by Philippine Ambassador to Washington Willy Gaa.

The new arrivals attended orientation seminars organized by the embassy where they were also given ?practical advice? to ease their transition into a new teaching environment.

The 93 teachers will be teaching special education classes, focusing on Mathematics, Science and English subjects in public schools in Prince George?s County in Maryland.

Gaa said the new recruits followed a group of 115 teachers who were also welcomed by the embassy last July.

The first batch of Filipino teachers moved to Maryland in 2005. As of the fall of 2006, 400 Filipino teachers were already in Baltimore City alone.

A growing number of experienced Filipino teachers are finding teaching jobs in all corners of the world.

Data from the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration show that Filipino teachers leave to teach in countries of Africa, Europe, Asia and on the islands of South Pacific. They also go to oil-rich countries such as Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates and Brunei.

An average of 73 Filipino teachers per year have gone to teach in the US from 1992 to 1999. From 2000 to 2004, the number more than doubled to 221 teachers per year. They now comprise some of the more than 10,000 foreign teachers being recruited annually to fill the US' gaping demand for teachers especially in crucial subjects such as special education, math and science.

Accordingly, their numbers are expected to rise further as more US public schools begin to recruit foreign teachers and recruitment agencies in the Philippines grow more aggressive.

"The Philippines is attractive because the education is American-based. ? We are so impressed with the quality and caliber of teachers there," said a human resources director for the Baltimore County, Maryland Public Schools, Bill Boden, in an infozine report in 2004, provided by the embassy.

Their school officials signed contracts with 120 teachers from the Philippines that year, while Washington Public Schools recruited 15 Filipino special education teachers and planned to hire more.

Most of the Filipino teachers who went to teach abroad have at least 10 years of teaching experience and units or degrees in master studies.

Re: Filipino teachers continue to fly to US for higher pay
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 04:05:12 PM »
anybody can share about this topic?

rogergatal

• Administrator
  • "proud to be an MG security, and i'm watching you"
    • View Profile
    • www.hotelsinbohol.com
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 04:16:35 PM »
anybody can share about this topic?
paging brew!
life is beautiful!

j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 04:31:06 PM »
Reminds me of a Pinay immigrant grade school teacher here. One year later, gave it up. Lisud dinhi. Di parehas sa ato kai sayon ra lusi-on ang dunggan sa bata. Dinhi risk being charged with child-abuse. Hehehe. :) ;)
Corporal punishment is against the law. But spanking lovely lass, BDSM, etc., with her approval, is widely practiced.
  ;D ;)
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 03:27:15 PM »
Reminds me of a Pinay immigrant grade school teacher here. One year later, gave it up. Lisud dinhi. Di parehas sa ato kai sayon ra lusi-on ang dunggan sa bata. Dinhi risk being charged with child-abuse. Hehehe. :) ;)
Corporal punishment is against the law. But spanking lovely lass, BDSM, etc., with her approval, is widely practiced.
  ;D ;)

depende ra pud lagi na sa tao if determinado gyud mag work to earn maski mingaw antoson gyud para sa family niya nabilin sa pinas. adjustment lang gyud pud. and most of all prayers helps a lot.... there is also a lot of success story and also failure. mura ra gyud pud ug ga dula ka tournament. Willingness to win....  :)

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 06:28:52 PM »
depende ra pud lagi na sa tao if determinado gyud mag work to earn maski mingaw antoson gyud para sa family niya nabilin sa pinas. adjustment lang gyud pud. and most of all prayers helps a lot.... there is also a lot of success story and also failure. mura ra gyud pud ug ga dula ka tournament. Willingness to win....  :)
Karamihan successful. But what happens afterwards? ??? Brings back the dialogue I had with Felix. :) ;)
Mao sad nai nahitabo nako kaniadto. Supported a less fortunate relative. Aron unta sya mahimong o/s seaman. Wai nahitabo. Kuarta gipadala nako, gigamit pagsupport sa iyang ABS. Hehehe.
Another one, a girl, started nursing. 2 yrs later, nabuntis. Naminyog ahat. Hehehe.

Now, next question. Kon pananglit, maka-experience ka something like that, next time they ask money, unsa-on man nimo pagbalibad? Hehehe.
  :) ;)
ikwento mo ang past experience mo to be honest with them na nadala ka na haha
Sa laktod nga pagkasulti, tell them outright, "Ok! this is it! Enough is enough! You've been watching too many movies, but life isn't like that in real life. If you want money, work for it. Ang gusto gud ninyo nga ako na lai magsigeg hungit ninyo aron mo magtikang2X na lang pirme"!

Ang nahitabo, nagmasama ang luob. Nanggawas ang mga drama, "Wa mi mahangol sa imong $. Mabuhi ghapon mi bsag mag 1 day 1 eat ra". Behind my back, mga gossips like, "Si Juan abi kai datu na, gikalimtan na lang mi nga nag-antus sa tumang kapobre". Hehehe.

Had many experience like this.

Be warned, mate! One day, this might happen to you. Should that happen, have fun!
  ;D :D :) ;)
hahaha whatever..bahala sila kung unsa ilang isulti..normal na mana sa mga tawo labina sa mga parente...pakan-on nimo sa imong tudlo, apilon pa imong kamot...in the end, ikaw pa rin ang lalabas na masama ryt? God knows juan
As John D. Rockefeller  said,
"Charity is injurious unless it helps the recipient to become independent of it".
:) ;)
true
Very2X true! But easier said than done.  :(
"You cannot say 'no' to the people you love, not often. That's the secret. And then when you do, it has to sound like a 'yes'. Or you have to make them say 'no.' You have to take time and trouble."  :) ;)
— Mario Puzo (The Godfather)

Yes, you have to take time and trouble. Assuming, of course, that the recipient is a rational person. Sa Binisaya pa, kama-o mosabut.

"By the way, the point between rationality and what we would call the irrational is a very difficult point to establish. There's no specific line, as you know."  ;D :D :) ;)
- Leo Ornstein

Mao btao si skipper karon di na makapauli sa ato. Maraming syang mga "obligasyon"(hehehe) na hindi nya natupad. Branded sya as "taksil ng bayan". ;D ;)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 06:31:18 PM by juan »

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 04:51:05 PM »
thanks for sharing john..... it's nice of you to share.....

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 04:53:11 PM »
What can you say about this " FILIPINO TEACHERS IN US WORRY ON THEIR WORING VISAS"?

WRITTEN BY JEREMAIAH OPINIANO ON APRIL 2, 2012. POSTED IN NEWS FLASH
from a March 31 report by Roger Phillips of Record Net (USA)

CALIFORNIA, USA—EXPIRING work visas will soon force some 15 Filipino teachers in Stockton’s Unified District in United States out of their classrooms.

The Filipino teachers came in US in 2007 with temporary visas, and their visas would expire next year, leaving them worried about the future of their teaching career.

Record Net news reported that the Filipino teachers were requesting the Stockton Unified district to sponsor them for permanent residency. However, the district has been slow to act on their behalf.

Stockton Human Resources Assistant Superintendent Craig Wells said he hasn’t yet determined the precise cost to Stockton Unified if it were to sponsor permanent residency for its Filipino teachers, and he hoped to answer the teachers next month.

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 10:14:55 PM »
siempre, the visa has expired. Unless renewed, the teacher has to go home.
US is confronting massive unemployment. Skipper and Dawg are breaking their backs paying off Uncle Sam's enormous debt. ;D My advice to lovely young Pinays is to forget USA. Australia's the land of opportunity. :) ;)
Speaking of granting permanent residency outright, would be unfair to those already in the queue.
Similar situation here. One viable option to jump the queue is marry an Aussie. Works good for me. Can afford to be very selective. Hehe  :) ;)