Research Says Skilled Migration Major Benefit to Regional Areas

• 12 replies
j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
Posted: 27/11/2012 5:00:00 AM by Mining Oil and Gas Jobs
Filed under: Energy, Job-seekers, Mining, Oil-and-gas, Australian-Life

New research focused on the impact skilled migration has on regional Australia reports positive results. Dr. Rosylin Cameron led a research team at CQUniversity who studied the Gladstone region in Queensland. Like many regional towns in Queensland and Western Australia, Gladstone is experiencing high demand for skilled workers on the back of the resources sector, specifically in construction jobs for CSG/LNG projects. 

The Gladstone Skilled Migration Research Report investigated economic, social and cultural contributions of skilled migrants and their families. The study proves how crucial skilled migrants are in resource regions.

Where are skilled migrants coming from?
The Regional Skilled Migration Scheme (RSMS) is experiencing a rapidly increasing rate of applications from people willing to live and work in regional Australia. According to the Gladstone Area Promotion and Development Ltd (GAPDL), the top 6 nationalities of RSMS applicants between July 2010 and June 2012 are:
1.   Philippines [numero uno!]
2.   India
3.   China
4.   South Africa
5.   Hungary
6.   United Kingdom

What occupations do the skilled migrants have?
More than 87% of the applicants are male. Most of them are relatively young with nearly 79% of them between the ages of 20 and 39 years of age. The GAPDL reports the top 6 occupations of RSMS applicants between July 2010 and June 2012 are:
1.   Chef/cook [attention RG!]
2.   Welder
3.   Metal Fabricator
4.   Metal Machinist
5.   Motor Mechanic
6.   Diesel Mechanic

Migrant population has widespread, positive impact
Skilled migrants are definitely keeping the wheels of the mining and resources boom turning and it’s benefitting the wider community, not just the resources companies.

"They are providing more than a third of the health services workforce as well as a vast range of essential workers including chefs, welders and motor mechanics," says Dr. Cameron.

"They are also providing entrepreneurial talents to establish new services and attractions for the city.

"It's not just large industries bringing in skilled migrant engineers on 457 and 417 visas, there are small and medium businesses involved as well.

Skills are staying in Australia
While the original need may be to get skilled workers into regional Australia – places that haven’t been able to attract metropolitan-loving Aussies – evidence suggests migrants are happy to make a long-term commitment to Australia.

There’s been a steady increase in citizen applications between 2009 and 2012. Interestingly, the gender balance in applicants is very close with slightly more males (51.9%) than females (48.1%) applying for citizenship. This indicates a healthy interest in families moving to regional Australia which is essential for community building.

The top countries gaining citizenship approvals in that time are:
1.   South Africa
2.   United Kingdom
3.   Philippines
4.   India
5.   New Zealand
6.   Zimbabwe

With many resources project in jeopardy due to a lack of skilled workers, temporary skilled migration is the key to keeping the resources industry running. New research also suggests migrants are happy to live in regional Australia and they’re putting down roots in communities in dire need of multiple skills. Family units often bring more than one skill set adding vital professionals in health nursing and medicine to the regions.

To read more, click http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/Our-Blog/November-2012/Research-Says-Skilled-Migration-Major-Benefit-to-R.aspx
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 06:47:14 PM by juan »
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Australia would be broke without mining: Joyce
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 10:02:12 PM »
Australian Mining 3 April, 2013 Alex Heber

Government must work to form closer relationships with mining companies, Queensland Nationals Senator Barnaby Joyce says.
Joyce’s comments made yesterday come after former Queensland government bureaucrat Simone Walsh claimed that coal seam gas approvals for Australia’s two largest developments were rushed through.
According to the ABC the Senator said he finds this report concerning, but governments need mining to stay in business.
"Unfortunately when you've got the debt the way it is and the Government has to rely on money coming from somewhere, we've got to make the books balance for this nation somehow," he said.
"The cold, hard reality of the economics of this is if we don't have a mining industry our nation is broke."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
LNG to drive Queensland’s economy forward
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 09:15:02 PM »
Posted: 17/06/2013 12:00:00 AM by Mining Oil and Gas Jobs
Filed under: Oil-and-gas

The Queensland Government plans to increase LNG exports to boost the state’s economy, reports ABC News.

In the most recent budget, the Treasurer Tim Nicholls said the intense increase in LNG production by 2016 will lead to growth in overseas exports of 23%, boosting economic growth in the state to 6%.

Chief Operating Officer of The Australian Petroleum Production and Exploration Association Rick Wilkinson says the LNG industry has so far drilled 4,000 wells and pipelines from Roma to Gladstone, whilst three LNG plants are also under construction on Curtis Island. According to Mr Wilkinson, 27,000 people are currently employed in the construction phase.
Queensland’s economic projections are encouraged by the strong demand for LNG overseas, especially in Asia.

“Asia is very thirsty for energy, as they go through their next development phase, so countries like China, Korea, Japan and Malaysia are all looking for LNG.

“All of the projects being built in Queensland have contracts for LNG signed up for the next 20 plus years.

We are quite sure about the demand, we are quite sure who the customers are, the question is now, how do we build up the supply and finalise those projects?”

Furthermore, the Treasurer also stated in his budget speech that the Newman government wanted to make Queensland the “Exploration Capital of Australia”, and provided $30 million for a range of initiatives to upgrade the Geological Survey of Queensland.

To read more, click http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/our-blog/june-2013/lng-to-drive-queensland’s-economy-forward.aspx

j

juan

• View Profile
Australian Skill Stream seeks to address labour shortages
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 05:14:14 PM »
Thursday, December 12, 2013

Shortages in the Australian labour market are being addressed by the Skill Stream, part of Australia's Migration Program designed to target migrants with skills or outstanding abilities that can enhance the size and skill level of the Australian labour force and boost Australia's economic growth.

The Skill Stream currently accounts for 67.7 per cent of the 190,000 visa places available in the 2013-14 Migration Program and is made up of employer sponsored migrants, skilled-independent and business migrants. Priority processing in the Skill Stream is currently given to applicants migrating to a regional area, migrants sponsored by employers or migrants nominated by a state or territory government under the State Migration Plan.

In state governments such as Queensland the criteria for sponsorship applications has been revised to enable a much easier path to obtaining a visa. In addition, the state government of Queensland recently published a broader list of eligible occupations and eligibility criteria in an effort to attract a larger base of skilled workers. This is positive news for skilled migrants as those previously denied access can now apply again with greater chance of success. Applicants able to secure state/territory sponsorship can apply under the Skilled Nominated Visa Subclass 190 or the Skilled Regional (State) Sponsored Visa Subclass 498 and will receive an automated message from the DIBP upon obtaining state sponsorship.

To see if you qualify for an Australian skilled migration visa, click here to take our FREE eligibility assessment http://www.migrationexpert.com.au/work_visa/ .

j

juan

• View Profile
Re: Research Says Skilled Migration Major Benefit to Regional Areas
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 05:18:18 PM »
Regional Australia is a definition of the Australian Government designed to promote some areas of the country, especially for immigration. People who work in these areas can be granted extra points when applying for a resident visa. Working there while holding a working holiday visa may allow the person to have their visa renewed.

Intuitively, "urban" means the the "big cities", "regional" means "large towns" and "rural" means other stuff.

Click http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_Australia for regional postcodes list.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 05:25:42 PM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 08:58:53 PM »
Posted: 5/02/2014 5:00:00 AM by Mining Oil and Gas Jobs
Filed under: Mining, Energy

Recruitment in Australia’s mining industry is changing; more skilled professionals are being head-hunted by companies than before. Recruitment experts such as Hays mining and resourcing said there has been a strong preference for candidates with prior experience in this field. Mining engineers, senior metallurgists and HV electricians are just some of the professionals that are being sought by mining companies.

Hays recently released a quarterly report to reveal the shift in paradigm in the resources recruitment industry. According to the report, demand for skills and staff movement are the two main reasons that are responsible for creating this vacancy activity. “The candidates are exploring the job market and looking to improve their prospects; as a result the overall vacancy activity is bound to increase this quarter,” says, Simon Winfield, senior regional director of Hays Resources & Mining.

Hays report also analysed the changing preference of employers to recruit temporary workers. Mining companies are hiring workers on a temporary-to-permanent basis in order to cover workload peaks and to ensure that a candidate is a good company fit. The recruitment processes are getting lengthier and companies are assessing applicants more thoroughly. Fixed-term contract is another popular recruitment type that companies are readily offering. It allows the business to control costs and gives them a flexibility to recruit skilled labour only to cover manpower resources during busy seasons.

According to the Hays Quarterly Hotspots list, the following professionals are in high demand in certain markets of Australia’s resources and mining industry:

In Western Australia:
•   All-round Trainers & Assessors
•   Authorised Mine Surveyors
•   Reliability Engineers
•   Maintenance Planners
•   Shutdown Planners
•   Underground Heavy Diesel Fitters
•   Underground Auto Electricians

In Queensland:
•   Mining Engineers
•   Geotechnical Engineers
•   HV Electricians
•   Diesel Fitters

To read more, click http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/our-blog/february-2014/skilled-mining-professionals-sought-in-big-numbers.aspx
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 09:01:42 PM by juan »

wardiflex

• OMG Fanaticz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 07:06:28 PM »
sino kaya sa atin dito ang maka punta sa area ni Pareng Juan...
kinsa tong mag pa pintal sa ilang balay etc., just inform me, naa koy kaila nga d best.09487352092

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 08:03:50 PM »
sino kaya sa atin dito ang maka punta sa area ni Pareng Juan...
Mahirap tatanggapin sa urban areas like Sydney. Actually, Sydney has a high unemployment rate. Why? Parehas ra sa ato. Nobody wants to live in rural areas. Everyone prefers to be in a bustling Makati. Bahala nag pataygutom. :) ;)
Regional Australia is a definition of the Australian Government designed to promote some areas of the country, especially for immigration. People who work in these areas can be granted extra points when applying for a resident visa. Working there while holding a working holiday visa may allow the person to have their visa renewed.

Intuitively, "urban" means the the "big cities", "regional" means "large towns" and "rural" means other stuff.

Click http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_Australia for regional postcodes list.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 10:53:24 PM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
Cooking a case for foreign workers
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 11:03:13 PM »
NATASHA BITA THE AUSTRALIAN MARCH 21, 2014 12:00AM

AUSTRADE wants to relax strict rules on work visas so Australian hotels, pubs and restaurants can hire more foreign staff to ease a domestic skills drought.

The federal government department responsible for tourism has backed industry demands to “increase the flexibility” of 457 work visas and backpacker visas — including a review of the English fluency requirement.

It warns that the hospitality sector faces a shortage of 56,000 workers next year, unless more foreign staff can be hired in regional areas.

Austrade has told the Productivity Commission that employers also want to pay foreign workers “market rates” below the existing $53,900 minimum salary for 457 visa workers.

“Providing more flexible arrangements to access overseas labour to address shortages will help to provide a stronger tourism workforce that will help the Australian tourism industry become more competitive, encourage greater investment, and support regional development,” Austrade has told the commission’s inquiry into labour mobility.

Backpackers make up 7 per cent of Australia’s tourism workforce, Austrade reveals in its submission. And 10 per cent of the 457 visas approved last financial year were for the accommodation and food sector, including 3040 foreign cooks, 1900 restaurant managers and 1090 chefs.

The owner of Il Baretto trattoria in Sydney’s Surry Hills, Gabriella Fedeli, sponsored Milanese chef Davide Albertoni to work on a 457 visa last year.

“It was extremely hard and extremely expensive, and you need a good solicitor to do the paperwork,” she said. “It is difficult to find people that are qualified.”

A spokesman for Assistant Minister for Immigration Michaelia Cash said yesterday employers could hire someone from overseas on a 457 visa only if they could prove they could not find an Australian to do the same job.

She said the government “requires a level of ability in English language necessary for an applicant to perform effectively in their nominated occupation”.

Austrade has told the Productivity Commission that Australian tourism workers have been reluctant to relocate to regional areas due to insecure work, undesirable hours and housing shortages.

“International workers, on the other hand, offer greater flexibility for the tourism industry and are more likely to move to regions to source work,” it says.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 11:12:56 PM by juan »

wardiflex

• OMG Fanaticz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 11:16:07 PM »
sa maanad rajud na ba.
kinsa tong mag pa pintal sa ilang balay etc., just inform me, naa koy kaila nga d best.09487352092