Jobs in Antarctica 2012–2013

• 44 replies
j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
Re: Jobs in Antarctica 2012–2013
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 05:30:30 PM »
Would be wonderful opportunity for Felix and RG. Having been to hot Saudi before, why not try cold Antarctica this time? So that when the end is near, can say, "Hindi na ako magcc. Naranasan ko na ang life being exposed to both extremes".

Sometime in mid '70s, had offer in Saudi. Hindi natuloy. Ex-gf discouraged me.

While still living in Mla, had a 2-yr renewable offer with Aramco. At that time, recruiting was handled by the Overseas Employment Development Board (OEDB) under the Dept of Labour. Gf's dad was holding key position. In fact, then Sec of Labour Mr. Blas Ople was his kumpari.
Gf advised me against it. Mahirap ang buhay ng mga Pinoy doon. Gidescriminate og maau.

After research work was done in Qld Uni in early '80s, there were job openings for Antarctica but for Australian citizens only. Didn't have my citizenship yet. Would have had gained exposure in telecommunications engineering. Anyway, went to Koolan Island, instead.

Wala talaga sa palad ko na magkaroon ng ganyang klaseng experience.
Decreed by fate.

:) ;)

“There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be...”  :) ;)
- John Lennon

« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 06:03:35 PM by juan »
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 05:32:47 PM »
December 10, 2012: #views = 336.
Hmmmm! emitting very interesting smoke signals!
;D ;)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 06:39:27 PM by juan »

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 01:55:49 AM »
February 5, 2013: #views = 470.
Hmmmm! emitting very interesting smoke signals!

;D ;)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 02:04:23 AM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 03:14:41 AM »
Hehe. Mostly, those who went there, are either single and without children, hence, wa pai obligation sa kinabuhi; or, children are adults and gone, hence, wa nai obligation sa kinabuhi.
For the former, the reason is, obviously, for adventure; for the latter, to live a life that's full, to travel each and every highway. Para maranasan ang lahat.
As a 67-yr-old said, "To search for meaning of what remains of my existence on earth.
Conclusion: age isn't a reason.
But health is. Reason can't go there. :) ;)

yea, too old for that!
lame excuse. :P ;D ;)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 03:20:02 AM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
Students get icy start to remote medicine
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 10:15:07 PM »
might be too cold for me, thanks for sharing!

Thought your doc gf might have a different attitude. Hope you won't get jealous. Hehehe. :) ;)

21st February 2013

Managing a broad spectrum of medical requirements, from hypothermia to sprains, or conditions requiring surgery or dentistry, may seem a daunting job requirement.

But three medical students are learning what it takes to be a doctor in Antarctica and other remote and extreme environments.

Jessie Ling, Felix Ho and John Cherry are taking part in the John Flynn Placement Program (JFPP) and will spend two weeks of each year, over the four year program, at the Australian Antarctic Division.

The program is designed to encourage more doctors to work in rural and remote areas to address shortages and improve the quality of healthcare for regional communities.

Chief Medical Officer with the Australian Antarctic Division’s Polar Medicine Unit, Dr Jeff Ayton, said it is important young people are exposed to career opportunities outside metropolitan areas.

“Many medical students are focused on working in the major city hospitals and simply aren’t aware of the breadth of options in remote and regional medicine,” Dr Ayton said.

“When working in smaller communities you can become a generalist doctor, and learn and practice a huge range of skills you may not get the chance to pursue or may have to give up if working in larger centres.

“In Australia's Antarctic program, our doctors are the only medical care available for up to 100 people on station and need to be able to perform general practice, surgery, emergency medicine, anesthetics and even dentistry, all supported by telemedicine back to Hobart, Tasmania.

“We hope that through the JFPP we will be able to introduce student doctors to the excitement and challenge of working in Antarctica and entice them to train towards a generalist career and come back at the completion of their degrees for a stint down south.”

Jessie Ling was one of a 1000 students who applied for just 300 places across Australia through the JFPP. The JFPP is coordinated by the Australian College of Rural and Remote Medicine on behalf of the Department of Health and Ageing.
Ms Ling is in her second year of medicine at the University of Tasmania in Hobart which is Australia's Antarctic gateway.

“I always knew I wanted a job where I could combine my love of the outdoors, with travel and caring for people and medicine seems to fit the bill,” Jessie Ling said.

When Ms Ling realised she could apply for a placement with the Australian Antarctic Division through the JFPP she jumped at the chance.

“My father worked in Antarctica in 1991 as a Field Training Officer at Australia’s Casey station, so I guess that family connection ignited a passion in me to go south as well,” she said.

“During my placement so far, I have been based at the Polar Medicine Unit at the Division’s headquarters in Kingston, learning about the support doctors on the ice receive. But I’m hoping to travel south in my final year of the program.

“It would be amazing to actually get there and see the beautiful Antarctic landscape, it’s just such a different, remote and stunning part of the world.”

The next round of applications for the JFPP close on March 16.
More information
•   John Flynn Placement Program https://www.acrrm.org.au/about-john-flynn-placement-program

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 10:49:28 PM »
Applications for the 2013-14 season have closed, however applications for Antarctic Medical Practitioner are still being accepted and can be submitted via our online applications https://secure2.aad.gov.au/external/login/login.cfm  link.

For all other jobs, you will not be able to lodge an application for the 2014-15 season yet, however you will be able to register your interest in applying for future seasons via the online applications link. You will be contacted by email when applications reopen for the season you are interested in.

The Australian Antarctic Division recruits for a wide range of jobs in Antarctica and at Macquarie Island each season.
Periods of employment vary depending on the type of job (with initial preparation and training in Hobart, Tasmania ranging between two weeks and three months):
•   Summer jobs are generally offered for periods between early October and March–April of the following year
•   Winter jobs can commence as early as July and run through until November–December of the following year
•   Shorter winter opportunities may arise, between January and November–December in the same year

If you have the skills and abilities we require and you don’t think the employment period would suit, please talk to us on 1800 030 755. We may be able to accommodate your needs.

If your application is successful, you will become part of a team of professionals ensuring that our Antarctic Stations are safe and efficient and working to conduct important scientific research in Antarctica and the Southern Ocean.

Working and living in Antarctica is not for everyone, but if your application is successful, we will support, train and equip you for the demands of Antarctic employment. To become eligible, you will satisfy a comprehensive range of technical, personal qualities, medical fitness and psychological assessments. The AAD will ensure that you are fully informed about Antarctic employment to ensure that the experience is both safe and satisfying.

Other Benefits? You will be provided with all required cold weather clothing, accommodation and when in Antarctica, your food. This has the potential to save you thousands of dollars in costs that you would normally incur working in Australia.

If this opportunity sounds attractive to you, the links below and to the right will provide you with information that will allow you to decide whether you have the skill set and qualities which are required to perform this role.

If you decide to apply, please access the General Information
http://www.antarctica.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/20883/General-Information-2013-14-updated-17-Oct-12.pdf  document for important information.
You may like to try our working in Antarctica quiz http://www.antarctica.gov.au/jobs/working-in-antarctica-quiz/scenario1 .

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 07:10:32 PM »
The difference between Saudi and Antarctica is that Saudi is a close country. Antarctica is,
by Eli blog.eliduke.com

Some people have the idea that there’s “nothing to do” down here, but that couldn’t be further from the truth. I am more busy down here than I am anywhere else in my life. From the second I get off work until the second I go to bed, my days are jam-packed with working out, band practice, hiking, movie nights, dance parties, art projects, photography, blogging… geez, that darn list just keeps going.

The culture down here is so rich, it’s almost unbearable sometimes.

The Wrap-Up

The truth is: words can never fully do it justice. There is something intangibly awesome about this place that you just have to experience first hand: dinners in the Galley, hiking Ob Hill, a ride in Ivan the Terra Bus, sunsets over the Royal Society, and movie nights at the Coffee House… the list just keeps going and going and going.

You owe it to yourself to give it at least 1 shot.
In other words, the antarctic atmosphere is simply promiscuous. Masarap ang human blanket doon. Hehehe ;)  Soooo nice to snuggle in the freezing cold. :-* Hmmmm!

Wish I could go there. Not as a mere tourist. But to work and live there. Para maranasan ko ang ganyang klaseng buhay. But they won't let me for health reasons. Can only imagine and drool. :'(

In a way, I envy RG and Felix. Kasi naranasan nila what it's like to live in Saudi.
If Felix signs an Antarctica contract he'd experience living in the opposite extreme. Before, it was boiling Saudi. Later, it'll be freezing Antarctica. Will be a wonderful feeling when he reaches my age. Can proudly say to himself, "I've lived a life that's full; I traveled each and every highway". :) ;)

j

juan

• View Profile
New bio-secure hub for Antarctic gateway
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2013, 06:16:39 PM »
17th April 2013

A new state-of-the-art Australian Antarctic Division cargo and quarantine hub opened on Hobart’s waterfront today, aims to banish bugs, rats and other ‘alien’ hitch-hikers from boarding ships travelling south.

The federally funded 2.5 million dollar facility is located at the eastern end of the re-developed Macquarie Wharf 2 shed.
It has vermin traps, impenetrable walls and automatic shutter doors to reduce the risk of introduced species reaching the fragile Antarctic and sub-Antarctic environments.

Environment Minister Tony Burke said it’s a significant improvement in bio-security.
“In 1991 the Hawke Labor Government decided that the Antarctic would be the one continent on earth that was kept as a pristine wilderness dedicated to science and peace,” Mr Burke said.

“These quarantine facilities are about making sure that the pristine Antarctic stays that way.”

The Director of the Division, Dr Tony Fleming, said Australia is really committed to ensuring we have a minimal impact on the environment at our Antarctic and sub-Antarctic stations
“This new facility will improve the efficiency of our screening, processing and management of all cargo and equipment to help prevent the introduction of non-native animals or plant species,” Dr Fleming said.

The cargo and quarantine centre also has a cold and cool store, fumigation area, briefing rooms, and warehousing space.
“This development further cements Tasmania’s status as a dedicated gateway to Antarctica and the Southern Ocean,” he said.

Tasports has spent 7 million dollars redeveloping the Macquarie Wharf 2 building into an Antarctic and Cruise ship precinct.
“The cruise terminal will provide a spacious and comfortable area for Expeditioners and their families to farewell or welcome home their loved ones, as well as providing easier access to Antarctic ships,” Dr Fleming said.

The Antarctic Division will move into the cargo and quarantine facility in May and begin operating from there in time for the first voyage of the season in September.

The Division’s cargo operations have been run out of Macquarie Wharf 4 for more than 12 years.

j

juan

• View Profile
Australian Antarctic Division jobs a cool change way down under
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2013, 07:26:03 PM »
Alex White From: Herald Sun May 22, 2013 6:31PM

HEADING to one of the toughest workplaces in the world could be the coolest career change of your life.
The Australian Antarctic Division is calling for Australian workers to live on the icy continent and manage stations for up to 15 months.

Antarctica veteran Graham Cook, 63 ::), who is based at Mawson station for the coming winter, said extreme challenges, including temperatures as low as minus 35C, were the best part about life on the ice.

"It is a great lifestyle, so different from any other job. You are always learning, and riding vehicles out on a sea of ice is amazing, " he said.

"There is the ability to experience some crazy weather conditions and there is always the auroras to see. The isolation can affect some people, but that's the challenge."

Positions will be available at Casey, Davis, Macquarie Island and Mawson stations. Workers could pocket up to $180,000 a year. Applications close on May 31.

antarctica.gov.au/jobs/jobs-in-antarctica

If interested, good idea to inquire in advance when the next opening commences. :) ;)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 07:30:20 PM by juan »

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2013, 07:59:01 AM »
opportunities na naman