j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
Historical Perspective on Australian Mining Employment
« on: February 03, 2013, 10:41:30 PM »
Posted: 4/02/2013 5:00:00 AM by Mining Oil and Gas Jobs
Filed under: Mining, Job-seekers

Do you know how many people are employed in the Australian mining industry? Do you know what percentage of the total workforce in Australia is filled by miners? While it might seem like everyone you know has a mining job, the reality is not as many people are employed in mining as you might think.

A new report from the Bureau of Resources and Energy (BREE) lends historical perspective to the impact the mining industry has on employment in Australia. We’ve extracted the numbers from the Resources and Energy Statistics Annual 2012 report and created two graphs to show employment history from 1967 through to 2012.

Annual mining industry employment
This graph shows, in thousands, the average number of employees in the Australian mining industry since 1965. With a starting point of 60,000, last year saw 248,000 employees in Australian mining.

Percentage of Australian workforce
If that sounds like a lot of people to you, consider this. The highest percentage of mining employees in history was last year with 2.2% of the workforce. Most years the industry has accounted for 1% or even less of the total Australian workforce.

Obviously, the past few years have shown a significant growth in mining employment. The industry continues to need experienced, skilled workers to address a chronic skills shortage. Despite heavy media coverage about mining jobs, the reality is mining still comprises a small part of the Australian workforce.

To read more, click http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/Our-Blog/February-2013/Historical-Perspective-on-Australian-Mining-Employ.aspx
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Re: Historical Perspective on Australian Mining Employment
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 01:52:25 AM »
The reason is obvious. Nobody wants to live in a lonely isolated place.
When Cebu's Atlas mining was still operating, many young engineers working there resigned after 1 year and became sales agents with the glamourous title"sales engineer". Hehe According to them, "Mamatay ka's kamingao didto. :) ;)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Re: Historical Perspective on Australian Mining Employment
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 07:24:09 PM »
Yes, mamatai sa kamingao. So, don't stay in the mine too long.
Easier said than done. Hehehe. ;)
Seriously, unless to earn money for some other future endeavours, e.g., start a business, you won't be happy. Many miners did something like that. I.e., work in the mines for a few years to save money. Then, left to start their own businesses, e.g., becoming a truckie.
Say, you apply as a dump truck driver. Learning to drive a dump truck is like learning to drive a car. No big deal. After a few hands-on, you'll get the hang of it. The rest is experience. In fact, easier 'coz, unlike driving a car in the city, there's no traffic when driving a truck in the mine.
But you'll be bored before long. Reason pay is high. It's like passenger jeepney driving in Phil. Only stop for short breaks.  Kailangang tiaga. Otherwise, gonna ask yourself, "Is this all there is to life? Life was certainly much better for me in the world of glitz and glamour". And there you are. Yeah, mate, gotta think it over very carefully and be very honest with yourself.
Different with one like Zulacs. So many transferable skills she's acquired in her line of work. In fact, more interesting for her as she'll gain exposure in mining applications - a very valuable experience. Even build up her career in the mining industry.
Or, an 18-year-old yet to embark on a career. Work a couple of years as a dump truck driver. Then, enrol in a mine related degree - a very rewarding profession.

Again, not meant to discourage you. Just throwing in some points. You know yourself better than anyone else knows you
:) ;)
Plan beforehand where to invest your money. Otherwise, mahurot lang na sa binuang.
Posted: 17/01/2012 5:00:00 AM by Brett Gilbert, the FIFO Bachelor
Filed under: Energy, Mining, Oil-and-gas, Career-resources

Financial Advice Every FIFO Worker Should Know From Someone Who Learned the Hard Way

To say we’re happy to have Brett Gilbert - The Fly-In, Fly-Out Bachelor  http://fifobachelor.com/  - guest post is an understatement. We’re way beyond thrilled. Hang on for straight talk about finances from someone who’s lived the mining life and learned some hard lessons along the way.

If you’re anything like I used to be with money, you probably make it a habit to check your bank balance the day you return to work. Then, as a result of your financial carelessness on break, ask, “Where did all the money go?” (Yes, Felix, where did your Saudi money go?) ??? ;D ;)

Earning CUB status
It’s a pretty common question throughout FIFO circles. “Cashed-up Bogans” dumping wads of cash over bars in clubs, newly appointed females purchasing expensive garments that only a year ago - before their new-found wealth - would have quickly erased their wage are the most typical examples. And what about your maxed out credit card, huh? (is this you, skipper? ;D ;))

That’s right; you know what I’m talking about.

It’s no wonder an outsider would frown upon the reckless spending habits of FIFO employees.

Voice of experience
Suffice it to say that I’m not brilliant with money - I still cringe when my hip-pocket reminds me of all the money I’ve blown over the years. And I’m not here to spank you or join forces with the “haters”. But in that time, (on “The Force”), I’ve learnt a few things that may help your from blowing your wad every time you feel the urge to splurge.

Think of me as your financial coach for this post.

Also, I’ll share with you some secrets about money and wealth creation, and the mindsets you should adopt whilst working FIFO, giving you the means to not only enrich your bank balance, but enrich the lives of others.

So here we go.
The 10 Ways to convert your financial stupidity into financial intelligence
(Think) Money is energy
You must think of money as energy - a precious resource which has a finite lifespan. Of course money won’t evaporate like a creek bed in the dry season. We can always tap into well-springs of money. But think of it in units; where one unit (when stored) equals three over time - its energy compounding and when needed, unleashing a torrent of cash awash with more variety, more stimulation, more security, more fun and even more fulfillment in your life.

As Johnny Depp says,
“Money won’t buy you happiness, but it’ll sure buy you a big enough boat to sail up to it”

Act responsibly
Remember, you earn three times the average annual income of most Australians. Wait! I have to say it again, just to make sure you understand -- Three times the income!

Most people view your situation as a gift and so should you.

Being employed in this day and age, in this line of work, is not only your opportunity to get ahead financially but the opportunity to enrich the lives of others through your prosperity. Granted, you might not have the most inspiring job, but don’t waste the energy you’ve given to it, and the energy you get from it (money) , on low-value experiences.

It’s your money
Pay yourself first. What does this mean? It means STOP paying off your credit card, car payment or your mortgage first and start treating your income like it’s yours.

By paying yourself first, (putting money aside out of every pay-check before you pay the bills), you’ll be reminded that money is something you’ve earned through your hard work – and not, the entitlement of others.

Act as if you’re broke
Now, I know what you’re thinking, “I am broke!” OK relax, deep breaths, it’s only money right?

Because many of us are paid bi-monthly or monthly, we try to make our money stretch, all the while convincing ourselves more money is just around the corner. As a result, we spend well in advance of our earnings.

Regularly act as if you’re not going to be paid for at least two or three months from now. This mindset can improve your decision-making process when it comes to buying goods and services, before you’ve received your pay check.

Learn how to use banks and waive their fees
Open a high interest internet savings account that only allows one withdrawal per month. The advantages mean you will:
•   become savvier with how to use financial institutions
•   learn how to avoid bank fees
•   develop financial restraint
•   receive bonus interest for abiding by your accounts terms and conditions
TIP: Right now, Commonwealth Bank offers the Goal Saver internet account that offers bonus interest for good behaviour.
Refinance bad debts
Take advantage of a low-interest credit card or loan. This doesn’t mean I endorse using lines of credit, because being able to pay outright with your savings is always best. But if you’re still paying off a large credit sum that’s accruing a hefty rate of interest, you’ll easily find an institution that will pay out your existing loan with a lower rate.

Search around online for a great rate and refinance your bad debt.

TIP: Citibank offers balance transfers for as little as 2-3% fixed for up to two years in some cases. They also now offer a “no fees” linked savings account.
TRAP: Read the fine print though. Banks are cunning, and will always try to make money somewhere.

Banks employ you too
It’s totally counterintuitive, but you probably think you have to pay banks for letting them manage your money. Not true. First, they don’t manage your money; they simply hold onto it for you. Second, you don’t pay banks - THEY PAY YOU!

Just this mindset alone can radically change your financial position. You could take it to an extreme and think of your bank as a supplementary employer.

Also, keep a wary eye on your transaction history and calculate the interest you can earn each month. Before you know it, you’ll start receiving a second paycheck, signed by your bank.

Make a budget and stick to it
Budgets suck! I know. I think the only time I ever enjoyed it was when I was budgeting for a holiday. Up until recently, I’d never even made one. But it’s really simple. My girlfriend showed me in all of two minutes how to use an Excel spreadsheet.

Jump online and Google “How to budget with Excel.” Then email that spreadsheet to your smart phone. Then you’ve got it handy the next time you get the ‘urge to splurge’.

Have a higher purpose for your life
Most people blow their money because they have no higher purpose. They don’t know where they’re going. They don’t have any goals (especially financial ones.) And they can’t see through the forest of debt created by their purposeless life.

By intertwining the ‘energy is money principle’ with your higher purpose, achieving all your financial goals will seem effortless.

There’s one crucial thing to know about this rule though. Your purpose comes before financial intelligence. Without purpose, financial stupidity will reign supreme.

End your addiction to short-term gratification
It’s the… “I want it and I want it now” mentality and it has to go.

Sure, there are things you can afford. And sure, you don’t have to limit yourself to a pittance or gratification. But what is it you truly want that you’re not allowing yourself to enjoy?

You’ll find the answer in your deepest desires. Not in the bottom of a whisky glass. Not in the sole of a pair of shoes. But in your ability to think for the longer term.

Develop a long-term mentality for your finances and everything else, for that matter. You’ll be amazed where you land on your long-term financial feet.

About Brett Gilbert
Brett Gilbert, aka the FIFO Bachelor, is a self-proclaimed expert in the field of FIFO singledom. He has a wealth of site experience and happily shares the ins and outs of the mining life with his many fans. You can find him on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/theflyinflyoutbachelor  or visit the The Fly-in Fly-out Bachelor website http://fifobachelor.com/  for his regular blog posts, e-book and free podcasts.

And speaking of migration, under current legislation, doubt gonna be easy. Came here '80. Population was 14M. Current is 22M. Considering the vastness of its size and resources, this is pathetic. Australian attitude is"the less ore mined today, the more ore left for tomorrow". Resisting international pressure to increase migration intake.
John Masanauskas From: Herald Sun June 15, 2012 12:00AM

FAILED asylum seekers, foreign students overstaying their visas and others facing deportation admit to rorting the immigration system to stay in Australia, an official report says.

The Immigration Department study revealed unsuccessful visa applicants had a "dig in and resist to the end" mentality, and believed the system could be beaten with persistence.

It found that some refugee advocates, migration agents and religious groups had misled asylum seekers by raising expectations and false hopes about their chances of staying in Australia.

Based on interviews with rejected asylum seekers, immigration officers and other parties, the report revealed the department was besieged by people with a "stay at all cost" mindset.

It found people used every means to extend their stay and many saw marrying an Australian as a viable option to remain here with the aim to later bring out family members from overseas.

"Most respondents displayed a 'dig in and resist to the end' mentality (and) they had a strong sense of their personal entitlement to stay in Australia," the report said. "They believed the system was there to be exploited and no decision was seen to be final."

Among those surveyed were Afghan, Chinese, Indian, Pakistani, UK and New Zealand nationals.

Most had been in Australia between two and 10 years.

The report said many claimed to fear persecution in their home countries, but they strongly believed they had a right to stay based on their social and economic contribution to Australia.

There was also "a sense of shame or stigma" about returning home with nothing to show for their stay in Australia.

The report said many of the surveyed asylum seekers were drug addicts and had mental health problems. They had a general attitude that the department lacked credibility and was "just trying to get rid of people".

The report was done by consultants Hall & Partners/Open Mind. It recommended the department improve its "messaging" so people better understood the migration process and were given alternatives to remaining in Australia.
Good for me. Hehe. Can afford to be more choosy with my soulmate selection. :) ;)