BASEBALL

• 4 replies

lamay

• View Profile
BASEBALL
« on: April 09, 2008, 04:35:49 AM »
Baseball is a bat-and-ball sport played between two teams of nine players each.[1] The goal of baseball is to score runs by hitting a thrown ball with a bat and touching a series of four markers called bases arranged at the corners of a ninety-foot square, or diamond. Players on one team (the batting team) take turns hitting while the other team (the fielding team) tries to stop them from scoring runs by getting hitters out in any of several ways. A player on the batting team can stop at any of the bases and hope to score on a teammate's hit. The teams switch between batting and fielding whenever the fielding team gets three outs. One turn at bat for each team constitutes an inning; nine innings make up a professional game. The team with the most runs at the end of the game wins.

Baseball on the professional, amateur, and youth levels is popular in North America, Central America, parts of South America and the Caribbean, and parts of East Asia and Southeast Asia. The modern version of the game developed in North America, beginning in the eighteenth century. The consensus of historians is that it evolved from earlier bat-and-ball games, such as cricket and rounders, brought to the continent by British and Irish immigrants. By the late nineteenth century, baseball was widely recognized as the national sport of the United States. The game is sometimes referred to as hardball in contrast to the very similar game of softball.

diagram of a baseball diamond

A single game is played by two teams, who, during the course of a game, alternate playing offense and defense. Each alternation is called an "inning", and there are usually 9 innings in a game. A "season" is played over the course of many months by a group of teams, called a league. Each team in the league plays all the other teams in the league a fixed number of times, though it is not always in round robin format. At the end of the season, the team with the most wins is the winner of the regular season.

The goal of a game is to score more points, which are called "runs" in the language of baseball, than the other team. Each team, usually composed of 9 or 10 players, attempts to score runs while on offense, by completing a tour of the bases, which form a square-shaped figure called a "diamond." A tour starts at home plate and proceeds counter-clockwise.
shake it all off and just have fun!

Re: BASEBALL
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 04:43:06 AM »
i love baseball,favorite sports when i was in elementary

dj paparazzi

• play by request..
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 07:11:38 AM »
it's hard to hit the ball!
a very reliable source of current events here in bohol.. and watch out!

janice

• aloha!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 08:35:16 AM »
i enjoy watching this game on espn
i am not a fighter...i am a lover

jenny

• life is full of surprises!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 07:11:38 PM »
it's hard to hit the ball!
bitaw d.j. lisod kaayo igoon ng bola noh.
i'm back & i love ya'll, muah3x!