Geothermal Energy

• 7 replies
j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
Geothermal Energy
« on: February 20, 2013, 08:50:24 PM »
Geothermal energy is the heat from the Earth. It's clean and sustainable. Resources of geothermal energy range from the shallow ground to hot water and hot rock found a few miles beneath the Earth's surface, and down even deeper to the extremely high temperatures of molten rock called magma.

Almost everywhere, the shallow ground or upper 10 feet of the Earth's surface maintains a nearly constant temperature between 50° and 60°F (10° and 16°C). Geothermal heat pumps can tap into this resource to heat and cool buildings. A geothermal heat pump system consists of a heat pump, an air delivery system (ductwork), and a heat exchanger-a system of pipes buried in the shallow ground near the building. In the winter, the heat pump removes heat from the heat exchanger and pumps it into the indoor air delivery system. In the summer, the process is reversed, and the heat pump moves heat from the indoor air into the heat exchanger. The heat removed from the indoor air during the summer can also be used to provide a free source of hot water.

In the United States, most geothermal reservoirs of hot water are located in the western states, Alaska, and Hawaii. Wells can be drilled into underground reservoirs for the generation of electricity. Some geothermal power plants use the steam from a reservoir to power a turbine/generator, while others use the hot water to boil a working fluid that vaporizes and then turns a turbine. Hot water near the surface of Earth can be used directly for heat. Direct-use applications include heating buildings, growing plants in greenhouses, drying crops, heating water at fish farms, and several industrial processes such as pasteurizing milk.

Hot dry rock resources occur at depths of 3 to 5 miles everywhere beneath the Earth's surface and at lesser depths in certain areas. Access to these resources involves injecting cold water down one well, circulating it through hot fractured rock, and drawing off the heated water from another well. Currently, there are no commercial applications of this technology. Existing technology also does not yet allow recovery of heat directly from magma, the very deep and most powerful resource of geothermal energy.

Many technologies have been developed to take advantage of geothermal energy - the heat from the earth. NREL performs research to develop and advance technologies for the following geothermal applications:
Geothermal Electricity Production
Generating electricity from the earth's heat. http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/rea/tech/geoelectricity
Geothermal Direct Use
Producing heat directly from hot water within the earth. http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/rea/tech/geodirectuse
Geothermal Heat Pumps
Using the shallow ground to heat and cool buildings. http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/rea/tech/geoheatpumps
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 09:32:44 PM by juan »
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
PHILIPPINE GEOTHERMAL: World’s 2nd biggest geothermal energy producer
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 09:07:05 PM »
By worldclassfilipino

Perhaps to most Filipinos, geothermal is “alien”, unheard of or maybe just "a not too exciting topic" to delve on.  But what if the regular Filipino would know that geothermal is a cheaper form of generating energy in a sense that it does not require the purchase and use of fuel? And that his country is the second biggest producer in the world next only to United States of America?  Will it interest him?

Geothermal comes from Greek words geo, meaning earth, and therme, meaning heat.  Simply put, "Geothermal" can generally refer to any heat contained in the ground.  It is an energy generated by heat stored in the earth, or the collection of absorbed heat derived from underground, in the atmosphere and oceans.

Prince Piero Ginori Conti tested the first geothermal generator on 4 July 1904, at the Larderello dry steam field in Italy.
The Geothermal Education Office and a 1980 article entitled "The Philippines geothermal success story" by Rudolph J. Birsic published in the journal Geothermal Energy (vol. 8, Aug.-Sept. 1980, p. 35-44) note the remarkable geothermal resources of the Philippines. During the World Geothermal Congress 2000 held in Beppu, ?ita Prefecture of Japan (May-June 2000), it was reported that the Philippines is the largest consumer of electricity from geothermal sources and highlighted the potential role of geothermal energy in providing energy needs for developing countries.

From an economic viewpoint, geothermal energy is extremely price competitive in some areas and reduces reliance on fossil fuels and their inherent price unpredictability.  It is no secret that fuel price is one of the most volatile of all commodities. It also offers a degree of scalability: a large geothermal plant can power entire cities while smaller power plants can supply more remote sites such as rural villages.  This is highly advantageous to Philippines as there are a lot of remote areas especially in provinces.

Continuous research and development would lead to improved plants and geothermal operations.  As of 2008, geothermal power supplies only less than 1% of the world's energy.  Still very far compared to power generated by plants using natural gas and coal.  In the Philippines however, geothermal energy already provides 27% of the country's total electricity production generated in power plants. Geothermal power plants are on the islands Luzon, Valencia, Negros Oriental, Mindanao and Tongonan, Leyte.

Leyte is one of the islands in the Philippines where the geothermic power plants were developed.  Developments here started in 1977 by the company PNOC.

Many of the geothermic natural resources are still waiting to ' be harnessed for steam'. ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

If Philippines can continue to nurture the potential of the country's geothermal power, it could drastically lower its dependency to fuel.  This would mean more savings from fuel expenses that are basically growing at an insanely fast pace.   These cutbacks from the nation's annual budget could perhaps be used to some other noteworthy projects that would help propel Philippines to greater heights.

For us laymen, “geothermal” may sound foreign or strange.   But the next time we hear about “Philippine geothermal”, let us be thankful to God.  Let us thank Him for providing us a country very rich in natural resources.  Let us further pray though that our leaders would be proactive in properly utilizing these inherent supplies and be selfless in honestly serving the Filipino.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 09:17:35 PM by juan »

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
About The Author
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 09:20:33 PM »
World Class Filipino came to existence because of the solid belief of the people behind this project on its subject … the Filipino and most especially because God has allowed this to happen.
We are first hand witnesses on how competent Filipinos are in any trade or profession, in any country and against any nationality as most of us are currently occupying job positions which could have been easily occupied by another race had we not been capable.
The idea of setting up this website first came up at a time when we were always being asked by foreign employers if we know of a Filipino who would like to work with them.  When asked why they prefer Filipinos… they site Filipino qualities such as the following: honest, loyal, friendly, fun-loving, honors commitments, good communicator, hardworking, creative and among others.   If you just happen to have the privilege of hearing these adjectives from people other than your “kababayan”… you would probably ask yourself why these people believe in us and why can't we?  Why other nationalities are appreciating us while we ourselves, at times, are still downgrading our capacities?
As Filipinos working abroad, we believe we are representatives of our country.  Our performances today will have a direct effect on others who will choose to follow this route and to the image of Filipinos in general.  That's why we are always asking God for guidance at work and in everything we do.  That we may continue to do His will for His greater glory and thereby preserve the legacy of the Filipinos who came before us. In relation to this, please allow us to use this space to salute them.  They made lasting impressions internationally which practically paved the way and have opened up windows of opportunities for millions of Filipinos.
And lastly, we believe that everything we have, were just given.  Our strength, beauty, intelligence… everything.  We should therefore not be boastful and proud.  Instead, we should be thankful to the one who made you and me and share these gifts to everyone.   We may be small as people, we may be under-developed as a country and we are not perfect. But we are perfectly us… just the way God had designed us to be.

Love.  Care.  Share.
Love God above all.  Care for others.  Share ourselves.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 09:22:59 PM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
The Philippines geothermal success story
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 09:27:30 PM »
The Smithsonian/NASA Astrophysics Data System Birsic, R. J.
Geothermal Energy, vol. 8, Aug.-Sept. 1980, p. 35-44.

Geothermal electrical plants currently in operation in the Philippines are presented. Following a brief review of the geographical and energy situation of the nation, attention is given to the first 55,000-kW unit of the Tiwi Geothermal Electric Plant, which commenced operation in January 1979, the portable 3,000-kE Leyte Geothermal Pilot Plant, which commenced operation in July, 1977 as the first geothermal power plant in the country, the Makiling-Banahaw (Mak-Ban) Geothermal Power Plant, the first 55,000-kW unit of which began operation in May, 1979 and the second 55,000-kW unit of the Tiwi plant, which came into service in June, 1979, thus making the Philippines the fourth largest producer of geothermal electricity in the world. Factors favoring the use of geothermal plants in developing nations are pointed out, including low capital costs, no foreign exchange costs for fuel, small units, and little environmental impact, and the start-up of two more plants, the second 55,000-kW unit at Mak-Ban in September 1979 and the third Tiwi unit in January 1980, are noted. It is predicted that in 1981, when the Philippines is expected to become the largest user of geothermal energy from hot-water fields, it will have a total capacity of 552 MW from the Mak-Ban, Tiwi and Leyte sites. Further areas with geothermal potential are also pointed out.

This was even before I left Philippines. How far has this gone? ???
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 09:39:16 PM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
Philippines Government Pushes Geothermal, Strong 2013 Outlook
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 06:12:47 PM »
Renewable Energy World.com By Leslie Blodgett, GEA 4 January 2013

WASHINGTON D.C. -- Geothermal development in the Philippines looks to continue strong in 2013, and if its government, including the DoE's geothermal energy management division, has its way the Philippines will be the largest producer of geothermal energy in just a few years. Currently only the United States produces more geothermal energy than the Pacific nation.

"To be the largest producer of geothermal energy is our plan until 2030,” Ariel D. Fronda, chief of the division told the nation’s Business World Online. To do this, “[w]e will be needing around 1,405 MW additional capacity by 2030,” or an increase of around 75% by 2030.

A possible channel of added geothermal support could be an expansion of the feed-in tariff (FIT) system, which was approved in 2012 for hydro, biomass, wind, and solar, and ocean thermal, but not for geothermal energy. The National Geothermal Association of the Philippines (NGAP) is looking to see an extension of the FIT to new, developmental, and unconventional geothermal projects. “The NGAP will propose this to the National Renewable Energy Board (NREB), then the board will evaluate the application and consider if it has bearing,” NGAP Director Ariel D. Fronda told Bworldonline.com. “The investments will flow because there will be FIT rate already, so the investors will surely profit from the development of the unconventional resources,” he added.

One emerging development was discussed by President Rene Escalona Puno of the local company Clean Rock Renewable Energy Resources Corp. with Manila Standard Today. The company won 2009 bids on the Natib and the Daklan geothermal prospects in Bataan and Benguet provinces and now plans to pursue geothermal development there. “The reserves estimates indicate the field has a potential to support a 50-megawatt development provided sufficient permeability is encountered in future wells,” Clean Rock papers said.

Meanwhile, an expiration date looms in May 2013 for the steam sales agreement between Aboitiz Power Corp and Chevron Geothermal Philippines Holdings, which operates the 289-megawatt (MW) Tiwi plants in Albay and the 458-MW MakBan facilities in Laguna and Batangas. If a new deal is not reached, Tiwi-MakBan’s steam pricing will be pushed to P2.80 per kilowatt-hour or 74% higher than current cost, based on the coal-indexed geothermal resource supply contract, noted Abscbnnews.com.

This article was originally published in GEA's Geothermal Weekly and was republished with permission.

j

juan

• View Profile
The Philippines: Energy plans target renewables
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 06:21:14 PM »
Asia | 28 Jan 2013

A drive to reduce electricity shortages in the Philippines will see the country set out to become the largest geothermal energy producer in the world in line with efforts to increase its focus on renewable energy sources.

The need for the Philippines to develop its energy sector was highlighted recently by the World Bank, which raised its 2013 forecast for the country on the back of prudent economic policies and political stability, but also pointed to key issues requiring action. Electricity distribution stands at 70.18% of households but access in rural areas is particularly low.

Well aware of the deficiencies in the power system, the government is preparing to introduce a wide-ranging initiative aimed at improving energy security that has at its core a focus on renewable sources. The Energy Plan 2012-13, which will be rolled out by the Department of Energy (DOE), is set to expand the use and production of renewable energy, while also driving forward hydrocarbons exploration and overhauling the electrical network. Other targets include promoting investment in the energy sector, together with the implementation of new low-carbon and energy efficiency policies.

In line with its plans to increase the part played by renewable energies in the power supply, the government has set a goal of spearheading geothermal energy production globally. This involves increasing its installed capacity from the current 1.902 megawatts (MW) to 3.307 MW by 2030. “Our plan is to be the largest producer of geothermal energy,” Ariel D Fronda, chief of the DOE’s geothermal energy management division, has said. “To do so, we will need around 1.405 MW of additional capacity by 2030.”

The Philippines is the world’s second-largest geothermal producer, ranked below the US and above Indonesia, Mexico and Italy.

The DOE is optimistic that the Philippines will manage to secure the $3bn-$5bn investment needed to reach its goal, citing the considerable potential for developing geothermal energy resources. High among its priorities will be attracting funding for research and development in the segment, while ensuring existing power plants are fully optimised. “Right now, we have committed projects through 2015 and we have lots of pending contracts that we are evaluating,” Fronda told local press. He added that the DOE expected to award pending contracts before the end of the year.

Several private sector players have already stepped up their involvement in the geothermal energy segment, including Philippines-based Basic Energy Corporation, which plans to invest $1bn in geothermal projects once a partnership with a Chinese corporation is secured.

Basic Energy has also allocated $1bn for oil and gas exploration projects, in a move that reflects the government’s efforts to build the renewable segment while maintaining hydrocarbons as the leading energy source.

However, industry players point out that for the oil and gas sector to move forward, the Philippines will need to address the growing problem of oil smuggling. Highlighting the issue to the local press, Roberto Kanapi, vice-president of communications for Shell in the Philippines, said figures indicated that oil smuggling could be depriving the government of up to $750,000 annually in revenues. Hot spots include Subic Bay Freeport, a tax and duty free zone, and the Phividec Industrial Estate in Misamis Oriental.

Companies are waiting for the recently appointed energy secretary, Jericho Petilla, to indicate how he plans to address the problem, while in a separate move, the Department of Finance announced an anti-smuggling pilot programme that will see kerosene and diesel shipments arriving at the ports of Subic, Clark, Batangas and Bataan marked.

The DOE has also proposed a P500m ($12.31m) plan to better track imports using an online X-ray imaging system. The initiative is set to be rolled out first at two pilot sites, Manila Port and the Manila International Container Port.

While in the long term the government is also considering restarting its nuclear energy programme as an additional means of supplementing the electricity supply, the focus for the next few years remains firmly on developing and utilising renewable programmes to meet demand and promote economic growth.

j

juan

• View Profile
Advantages And Disadvantages Of Geothermal Energy
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 06:29:55 PM »
You would always find various advantages and disadvantages of geothermal energy. As with any type of energy that is in existence today, there are always pros and cons associated with it. Geothermal energy has been one of the most used energy sources in various countries today. The amount of energy that a single geothermal plant could produce can provide for the energy needs of many homes already. While it has already been established that geothermal energy is a fantastic energy source, taking a look at its advantages and disadvantages would always help you understand why many countries opt for it.

Advantages of Geothermal Energy
•   It is renewable. Since geothermal energy comes from the heat of the earth, it is considered to be a renewable resource. This means that you can use and reuse it over and over again. In fact, it can be considered as a lifetime energy source since the earth itself is the one that gives off this heat. You can be assured that have a continuous source of energy.
•   It is clean. Geothermal energy is classified as one of the clean sources of energy because it does not burn fossil fuel in producing electricity. And since it does not burn fossil fuels, carbon dioxide in the air is greatly reduced.
•   High heat source. The energy coming from beneath the earth is really powerful, allowing geothermal plants to generate much electricity.

Disadvantages of Geothermal Energy
•   Not all areas are suitable for geothermal energy. You need to find a good spot where there is substantial and continuous amount of heat that could be tapped into. The geothermal heat source is one of the primary considerations when trying to build a geothermal plant.
•   Huge startup costs. When trying to build a geothermal plant, there is a great deal of capitalization needed especially at the start. Drilling and testing whether a certain area is suitable for a geothermal plant costs a lot of money.

These are the advantages and disadvantages of geothermal energy. Although the disadvantages may be daunting, the moment that a plant is already in operation and starts producing electricity, then for sure everyone would forget about the disadvantages and would only remember the advantages.

j

juan

• View Profile
Re: Geothermal Energy
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 06:36:15 PM »
World Class Filipino came to existence because of the solid belief of the people behind this project on its subject … the Filipino and most especially because God has allowed this to happen.
We are first hand witnesses on how competent Filipinos are in any trade or profession, in any country and against any nationality as most of us are currently occupying job positions which could have been easily occupied by another race had we not been capable.
The idea of setting up this website first came up at a time when we were always being asked by foreign employers if we know of a Filipino who would like to work with them.  When asked why they prefer Filipinos… they site Filipino qualities such as the following: honest, loyal, friendly, fun-loving, honors commitments, good communicator, hardworking, creative and among others.   If you just happen to have the privilege of hearing these adjectives from people other than your “kababayan”… you would probably ask yourself why these people believe in us and why can't we?  Why other nationalities are appreciating us while we ourselves, at times, are still downgrading our capacities?
As Filipinos working abroad, we believe we are representatives of our country.  Our performances today will have a direct effect on others who will choose to follow this route and to the image of Filipinos in general.  That's why we are always asking God for guidance at work and in everything we do.  That we may continue to do His will for His greater glory and thereby preserve the legacy of the Filipinos who came before us. In relation to this, please allow us to use this space to salute them.  They made lasting impressions internationally which practically paved the way and have opened up windows of opportunities for millions of Filipinos.
And lastly, we believe that everything we have, were just given.  Our strength, beauty, intelligence… everything.  We should therefore not be boastful and proud.  Instead, we should be thankful to the one who made you and me and share these gifts to everyone.   We may be small as people, we may be under-developed as a country and we are not perfect. But we are perfectly us… just the way God had designed us to be.

Love.  Care.  Share.
Love God above all.  Care for others.  Share ourselves.

To all kababayans back home!!!!!
Come and join our ranks.

become a world class miner.
 :) :)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 01:35:35 AM by juan »