White Smoke Rises; New Pope Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio was Chosen

• 3 replies

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Tens of thousands of people who braved cold rain to watch the smokestack atop the Sistine Chapel jumped in joy when white smoke poured out, many shouting "Habemus Papam!" or "We have a pope!" — as the bells of St. Peter's Basilica and churches across Rome tolled, signaling a pontiff had been chosen.

The pope, Argentine Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio, was due to emerge from the loggia overlooking St. Peter's Square to deliver his first words as the Bishop of Rome.
Elected on the fifth ballot, he was chosen in one of the fastest conclaves in years, remarkable given there was no clear front-runner going into the vote and that the church had been in turmoil following the upheaval unleashed by Pope Benedict XVI's surprise resignation.
A winner must receive 77 votes, or two-thirds of the 115, to be named pope.

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Re: White Smoke Rises; New Pope Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio was Chosen
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 12:25:49 PM »

El Papa, El Argentina! Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio has chosen the name "Pope Francis"

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide

Argentine Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio was elected pope Wednesday to lead the world's 1.2 billion Catholics on Wednesday, March 13, 2013. Let's all pray one another he says.

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Re: White Smoke Rises; New Pope Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio was Chosen
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 11:35:07 PM »
Pope Francis, Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Argentina 3/13/13compiled by Marina L. Guerrero, MD
History: First Jesuit. First Latin American. First from the Americas. Second Non
European, the last being year 750, Gregory III of Syria.
One of 5 children of Italian immigrant parents, born in Buenos Aires, Argentina, educated as a Chemist, 76 years old, had one infected lung excised as a teenager, lived in an apartment instead of the bishop palace, drove a bike to work, champion of the poor, elected after 5 rounds of vote in 2 days at the Vatican Curia by 115 voting Roman Catholic Cardinals at the Conclave (Latin for "with lock" meaning secret balloting). Took the name FRANCIS for St. Francis of Assisi, a rich man who gave up everything to help the poor & down trodden & loved pets & animals.....VIVA IL PAPA
This historical news overshadowed all world news of war, violence, finance, politics, dictators & world leaders, because its goodness & spirituality, which we all long for in this materialistic & stressful world. I sent this to all because it took this historical news to get me out of my inertia of rest after a foreign trip. I am so touched & happy of being a Roman Catholic, a 2000 year old institution, always bugged by scandals & disrespect & thru it all, still stands tall. Glory be to the Father, the Son & the HOLY SPIRIT who guided this Conclave.