2014 Graduate Programs Now Open for Australian Resources Industry

• 3 replies
j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
Posted: 13/03/2013 5:00:00 AM by Mining Oil and Gas Jobs
Filed under: Energy, Job-seekers, Mining, Oil-and-gas, Training-and-Development, Career-resources

Employers in the Australian resources industry have begun to advertise for graduate programs with work starting in 2014. While graduation may seem a long way off, if you plan on finishing your degree this year, you need to start thinking about where you’re going to work. Now is the time to start answering job advertisements for these positions.

What is a graduate program?
Graduate programs are entry-level jobs for people who have completed a professional qualification at university. These jobs are aimed at a variety of occupations including:

• Engineers
• Geologists
• Metallurgists
• Surveyors
• Occupational Health and Sciences
• Environmental Officers
• Accountants
• Project Controls

Graduate programs typically last from two to four years and include on-the-job training and mentoring. At the end of a graduate program, participants will be considered to possess the skills needed to work independently in their chose profession.

Time is of the essence
Importantly, it’s very difficult to find a job if you haven’t undertaken a graduate program. These programs are designed to manage the intake of inexperienced people in a controlled way so mining operations and oil and gas companies can continue their production schedules with minimal interruptions.

How to find a graduate program
The best thing to do is go to the Find a Job section of the Mining Oil and Gas Jobs website. Scroll to the bottom and tick the Graduate Entry box. All the opportunities currently available will be listed. Some of the advertisements are for specific occupations but others cover multiple occupations. Make sure you check through each opportunity and submit an application for all that apply to you.

Some of these opportunities begin to close as early as the end of March so make sure you don’t delay!

To read more, click http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/Our-Blog/March-2013/2014-Graduate-Programs-Now-Open-for-Australian-Res.aspx
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 06:19:01 PM by juan »
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Re: 2014 Graduate Programs Now Open for Australian Resources Industry
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 04:55:11 PM »
gotta go!enjoy the rest of the day everyone..!!God bless us all...till next time..:)

Why not try your luck here? :) ;)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Communicating with Internship Sites
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 07:04:45 PM »
Posted on February 6, 2013. Filed under: Career, College, Internship, Jobs |

A question that many students have when launching their own internship search is: How do I check on the status of my application? This is a good question.

Confirm Receipt of Application
First you should verify receipt of your materials – is your application complete?  You can email or call to do this, or they may send you an automated confirmation. This should be done within one week of applying. This is an important step, so don’t be tempted to skip it.

Determining a Timeline
On the internship’s website they may provide a timeline for selection. If so, do not contact them unless it’s past their timeline for contacting applicants and you still have not heard back.  If they do not provide a timeline (most don’t) it is important to contact them to reaffirm your interest and try to determine their timeline. Knowing when they plan to interview and make their selections will take a lot of the worry and guessing out of the equation.  The best way to do this is by phone (makes you more “real”), but email is fine, too.

Two Week Rule
After learning that your application is complete, wait two weeks before contacting them again. This is what I call the Two Week Rule.  If you send an email inquiry or leave a phone message but do not get a response it’s fair to contact them again in two weeks.  As you can see, this is all a bit of a balancing act between being a pest and being persistent. You want them to know that you are serious about your interest in an internship with them.  Waiting too long can be even worse than contacting them too often.
TIP: Sometimes a follow up phone call will turn into a spontaneous interview if you catch the right person at the right time. So, be prepared when you call.  On the other hand, it can be difficult to get someone on the phone, so you may have to keep trying.

Sample Communication
Dear Internship Coordinator (better if you have an actual name):
This email is in follow up to my application for a policy internship in your organization.  I am very interested in this position and would like to inquire as to your timeline for interviewing and selection. Feel free to contact me by email reply or phone at (999)123-4567.  I look forward to hearing from you and learning more about this great opportunity.

OR
On January 25th I submitted my application for a summer internship with Senator Stabenow’s Office.  This is an opportunity that I am very interested in as it fits perfectly with my academic focus.  Do you know when I can expect to hear back regarding that status of my application?  You can reach me….
Thank you for your time,

Of course you can personalize this in any way you’d like, but keep it brief and to the point.  If you have not confirmed that they have received your materials, you could also address that in your email.
If there isn’t a specific person or email associated with the internship application, just use whatever email you find – usually listed under Contact Information on the website.  Then, instead of addressing it to the internship coordinator you can use “To Whom it May Concern” and ask to have your email directed to the appropriate person.

Requesting NO CALLS?
You may run into “no calls or emails” listed on an intern application. You do need to respect that, but this gives you no opportunity for knowing your status.

Internship Insights
You can learn a lot about what it might be like to work for an organization (or a specific supervisor) as an intern from these interactions.  Personally, if an internship site requests no calls, I put them at the bottom of my priority list.  That request in and of itself comes across as a bit disrespectful of interns.  However, if they are a very high-profile organization and provide timeline information on their application, then I’m not as bothered by this.
If an internship site/supervisor is good at returning your calls/emails, you might be able to gather that they are organized and that the internship has some structure to it.

Bottom line?  Trust your instincts when communicating with internships and when deciding to accept or decline an offer.  Rules are great as a guide, but nothing beats using your actual experiences and exchanges to gather information and make a decision that is the right for YOU!

To read more click http://msustudyprograms.wordpress.com/2013/02/06/communicating-with-internship-sites/

j

juan

• View Profile
Mining’s graduating workforce: A plug for the skills shortage drain
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 09:06:50 PM »
Australian Mining 21 March, 2013 Alex Heber

The skills shortages in Australia’s mining industry remains at unrelenting levels, and they’re expected to stay there for a while yet.
The Minerals Council of Australia has predicted the need for an additional 86,000 mining professionals and skilled mine workers by 2020.
But with all the griping over skills shortages, is there a different way to address mining’s gaping hole?

While the remote location of mines poses a challenge when attempting to attract talent, it can be overcome with wage hikes.
But as the likes of Gina Rinehart and the Queensland Resources Council [QRC] have stated the industry’s high wages are unsustainable and in the long term will render Australia’s mining sector uncompetitive by global standards.

Exorbitant wages are unsustainable for both majors and juniors but as it seems for different reasons.

The big players cannot continue to increase salaries year on year, and many juniors cannot afford to fork out such exorbitant salaries in the first place.

So if throwing cash at the skills shortage is unsustainable, how do miners attract the talent they require to run their operations?
The answer: Develop it.

Training local talent, sponsoring university programs, and cross training existing workers are all ways of recruiting whilst behaving in a socially responsible manner, Deloitte recently said in a statement.

Graduates: Mould young minds
Xstrata is one of many mining houses that have jumped on board the graduate train, developing iPad and mobile apps to make the recruitment process more targeted, attractive and simpler for the next generation of professionals.
Australian Mining spoke to Xstrata’s group human resources manager Jodie Hope about how the company is attacking graduate recruitment differently to its competitors.
Launched in early 2012, the Xstrata graduate app allows the company to provide real time communication to prospective applicants and has increased the amount of students the company has access to.

“Students are accessing the web more and more on their phones then on their pc’s, so the app has provided a huge return, we can communicate updates on our intake timetable, and on vacation and graduate programs,” she said.
Hope explained that the graduate app has enabled global communication and has significantly increased the quantity of candidates applying.

“One of our key targets was to increase the quantity of candidates,” she said.
“In terms of quantity there are only a certain amount of students graduating year on year, and it isn’t sufficient to meet the pipeline of all the tier one and tier two mining houses in Australia.
“As a result we’re competing for quality; the apps are also targeting the global market, including South Africa and the UK.”

Currently attracting quality mining graduates is highly competitive especially across engineering disciplines like mining, mechanical, electrical, metallurgical, chemical, and civil.
About 80 per cent of Xstrata’s graduate intake is from the engineering discipline.

“They [mining engineering graduate positions] are certainly difficult to fill,” Hope stated.
Around 150 to 160 engineering graduates are hired each year by Xstrata, they receive a permanent position with the company which includes a two year development program, and retention rates are between 90 to 95 per cent.
The company said it is really important that graduates have some level of experience through undergraduate studies; Xstrata takes on around 300 students in its paid summer vacation program.
“Around 50 per cent of the graduates we employ have already worked in our mining operations throughout their undergraduate studies,” Hope stated.

This program allows Xstrata to assess the fit of the graduate within the business, and assists the graduates to make a decision as to whether Xstrata is a good match for them.
Hope said when processing applications human resources looks for, amongst other qualities, a competitive academic record, strong work ethic and the demonstration of community involvement.
Community interaction through volunteer work, Hope said is a really important and a valuable element which is sometimes overlooked by graduates.

The way Xstrata markets their graduate program is what sets the company apart from other mining house graduate projects which Hope explains is a strategic move which will benefit the company down the track.
“Graduates are without a doubt the future leaders of our business,” she said.
“Graduates will be playing key managerial roles within the business certainly within that eight to ten year window beyond completing their graduate program.”

Resourceful graduates
Aside from university career fairs and industry visits graduates are also taking to social sites like Reddit to gather advice on applying for jobs in the sector.
Recent graduate mtarlo111 put his resume on Reddit for critique, the general consensus from other users was to keep your resume short and include grades, even if they’re low.

Aboriginal trainees
Newly appointed Rio CEO Sam Walsh has through his tenure been at the forefront of the company’s Aboriginal traineeship program.
When he decided to offer every Aboriginal teenager who passed year 10 at school a traineeship with Rio Tinto he made executives nervous; they feared a mass of applications.
''I said, 'lets do the numbers','' Walsh told The Age.
''As it turned out we were not opening the floodgates, the numbers were a manageable 1650; which to me was a seriously good response.''
The indigenous traineeship program has not only given Rio the status as the nation’s single largest employer of indigenous people, it has also won the company a number of awards including Australian Mining’s Employer of Choice Award last year.
The program teaches not only work skills but also life skills like finance management and wellbeing.
Around 80 per cent of indigenous apprentices and trainees make it through the company's recruiting system, and once complete there is no obligation for recruits to stay on with Rio.
''If they stay on and work for us, that is fantastic. If they do not, then at least they have had a good education and a good background in business behind them,'' Walsh said.

Women: An unmined resource
Rio Tinto’s Northparkes' ore processing technical superintendent Danica Clarke graduated from James Cook University with a bachelor of chemical engineering.
Clarke said her class was made up of a ratio of four females to every one male.
On the flip side she explained that the mechanical and electrical engineering streams were very male dominated.
“Environmental and chemical are still seen more so as female engineering roles,” she said.

Clarke told Australian Mining that women do really well in mining, and if a female has the drive and the passion they will succeed in the industry.

“I love it, you have to be able to stand up for yourself because it still is a male dominated industry and it can often be a hard place to work but I think it is a really good career,” Clarke said.

Clarke added that working in a male dominated industry has had its ups and downs.
“It’s been an interesting journey, some men will respect you whether you’re male or female it on your merits,” she said.
Australian Mining recently visited Northparkes copper and gold mine, located about 25 kilometres from the New South Wales town of Parkes, what was interesting to see was the amount of women working at the facility.

Speaking to the mine’s managing director Stef Loader, she said women make up about 17 to 18 per cent of the Northparkes workforce but conceded that figure could be improved.

Strategies include implementing models of employment that are less than full time and getting the word out there.