Rupert Murdoch slams Australia as ‘racist’ for tightening visa laws

• 9 replies
j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
By Cheryl K. Chumley The Washington Times Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Media mogul Rupert Murdoch has taken to task his homeland of Australia for new rules that tighten visa requirements on skilled alien workers.

Mr. Murdoch says the language the government uses is “disgraceful and racist,” Agence France-Presse reports. He’s referring to 457-class laws that guide how employers might hire skilled workers.

The number of 457 visa workers grew by more than 21 percent in one year, AFP reports. Australia’s Labor Party says this growth in 457 visas has surpassed national employment numbers — and that means “the program is being increasingly driven by temporary visa holders seeking to remain in Australia instead of the demands of the Australian labor force,” the government’s immigration department said in a statement reported by AFP.

So, government officials are seeking to crack down on the 457 program and curb perceived abuses. But Mr. Murdoch sees racism, not economics or abuse, at play.

“I think the way that they’re talking about the 457 is pretty disgraceful and racist, but I’m a big one for encouraging immigration, I think that’s the future,” Mr. Murdoch told Sky News.

"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Murdoch slams ‘racist’ visa comments
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 12:49:12 AM »
April 2 2013 at 09:32am By SAPA

Sydney - Global media baron Rupert Murdoch on Tuesday accused the government of his native Australia of “disgraceful and racist” language over a crackdown on visas for skilled migrants.

The Australian-born News Corporation chief condemned the centre-left Labour government's rhetoric about the tightening of the 457-class skilled visa programme amid claims of abuse by employers and disadvantage to local workers.

“I think the way that they're talking about the 457 is pretty disgraceful and racist, but I'm a big one for encouraging immigration, I think that's the future,” Murdoch told Sky News on a business visit to northern Australia.

“A mixture of people - just look at America - is just fantastic,” he added.

Murdoch said there were “difficulties for generations of migrants sometimes if there are too many from one area, but they meld in a couple of generations and it leads to tremendous creativity in the community”.

He said skilled migration was vital to economic growth in Australia's north, which is in the grip of a mining and resources boom with billions of dollars of investment slated for the coming years.

Assistant Treasurer David Bradbury rejected the remarks, saying there was “nothing racist about standing up for jobs and job opportunities for Australians”.

There is little love lost between Murdoch's Australian operations News Limited and Prime Minister Julia Gillard's Labour government - ministers have accused his newspapers of campaigning for regime change.

News Limited has, in turn, been highly critical of the government's proposed media reforms which came in the wake of Britain's phone-hacking scandal.

Gillard's Labour has been criticised by the left-leaning Greens party, commentators and some business leaders for plans to crack down on 457s in an election year, accused of angling for the anti-immigration vote.

According to the immigration department, growth in 457 visas has significantly outstripped national employment growth, suggesting “the programme is being increasingly driven by temporary visa-holders seeking to remain in Australia instead of the demands of the Australian labour force”.

The number of 457 visa holders expanded 21.5 percent between February 2012 and February 2013 to 107 510. - Sapa-AFP
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 01:09:01 AM by juan »

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Poll shows overwhelming support for Gillard’s 457 visa stance
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 01:09:57 AM »
Australian Mining 15 March, 2013 Matt McDonald

A poll carried out by the Construction, Forestry, Mining and Energy Union (CFMEU) has revealed that 89 per cent of Australians believe that that mining companies should look for local workers before employing foreign workers on 457 visas.

In addition, 77 per cent of the population supports the Federal Government’s crackdown on rorting of the visa system.

Following a rise in the visas over the last year and claims of abuse within the system, Prime Minister Julia Gillard announced last week that her government intends to tighten the use of the visas and aims to put “Aussie jobs first”.

CFMEU National Assistant Secretary and head of the Construction Division Dave Noonan called for legislation to ensure an end to abuse of the system.

“We need legislation that forces employers to be honest and accountable to skilled Australians who are looking for work. If there is a genuine shortage proven, then and only then, can employers take this route; as a safeguard against systemic abuse of these vulnerable guest workers,” he said.

“The CFMEU welcomes the Prime Minister’s acknowledgement of the evidence of the failures of the 457 visa system. 457 visas have shot up 20% over the last year while employment has only grown by 1 per cent.”

The government changes are to include a requirement for employers to demonstrate a genuine shortage of potential employees before nominating positions for 457 visas and raising the English language requirements for certain positions.
In addition, they would enact stronger compliance and enforcement powers to stop employers who routinely abuse the 457 system.

Both unions and the Gillard Government have claimed companies have abused the 457 system, but so far no party has released solid evidence to suggest the rorting is widespread. [in other words, plain BS!]

Under current regulations miners that wish to apply for an enterprise migration agreement must first demonstrate they have made “genuine attempts to recruit Australian workers”.

Miners that are awarded EMAs are also required to develop training and up-skilling plans to help fill future job vacancies.

j

juan

• View Profile
Govt 'racist' on foreign workers: Bishop
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 01:39:44 AM »
7 News By Ehssan Veiszadeh, AAP Updated April 3, 2013, 6:04 pm

The federal opposition has joined media mogul Rupert Murdoch in labelling the Gillard government's language about foreign workers as racist.

Senior coalition MPs accused Labor of hypocrisy after it emerged ALP national vice-president Tony Sheldon has hired overseas workers on 457 visas.

Deputy opposition leader Julie Bishop went a step further, accusing federal Labor of "ramping up racist warfare against foreign workers" - echoing a claim made by News Corporation chairman Mr Murdoch on Tuesday.

Mr Sheldon, who is also national secretary of the Transport Workers Union, told The Australian newspaper that his chief of staff at the union, Dermot Ryan, media officer Barry Dunning and senior organiser Celia Petty were employed on 457 visas.
Mr Sheldon and other Labor officials have accused some employers of misusing the visas.

Opposition immigration spokesman Scott Morrison said Mr Sheldon's practices showed Labor's claims that the 457 visa program was being rorted were a stunt.

"It's not just the hypocrisy in the union movement, it's hypocrisy in the prime minister's own office,"
he told Sky News on Wednesday, referring to Prime Minister Julia Gillard's communication director John McTernan, who is also on a 457 visa.

Mr Sheldon said in March that 457 visa holders had no real right to join a union [BS!] unless their employer had sacked them, and once fired they could be deported within 28 days unless they found another job.

It was "no exaggeration" to say that for some workers, the 457 visa was a form of slavery, he said.

Mr Morrison said the comments were a stunt.
"It's absurd and it's rank hypocrisy," he said.

Ms Bishop said Labor's "attack" on overseas workers was always intended as a diversion away from allegations of union corruption and the ICAC inquiry in NSW.

"(This) has exposed the hypocrisy and also the danger of Labor ramping up a racist warfare against foreign workers," she told Sky News.

"Tony Sheldon wants us to believe that there was no one in Australia who is capable of managing his media profile other than getting somebody from overseas."

Ms Gillard has declined to comment on claims her government was using racist language, saying her job was to make sure Australians had their job opportunities put first.

"People can say whatever they like in response to that," she told ABC radio.

Liberal backbencher Russell Broadbent said while he didn't like the language used by some Labor MPs, he disagreed they were being racist.
"It may be xenophobic but I wouldn't call it racist," he told ABC television.
The foreign worker visa program was working "99 per cent" well, he added.

j

juan

• View Profile
'One in ten' Australians is racist
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 07:27:39 PM »
23 FEB 2011, 7:46 PM   -   SOURCE: SHALAILAH MEDHORA, SBS

A groundbreaking new report into racism in Australia shows more than one out of ten of us have racist tendencies, SBS' Shalailah Medhora reports.

A groundbreaking new report into racism in Australia shows more than one out of ten of us have racist tendencies.
Despite that, the University of Western Sydney research says the majority of Australians believe in diversity and tolerance.

The research comes just days after the federal government decided to add the word "multicultural" to one of its minister's portfolios.

For governments of all persuasions, it's an issue that just won't go away.

Now, leading-edge research has shed light on what it means to live in multicultural Australia.

A University of Western Sydney report - led by Professor Human Geography and Urban Studies Kevin Dunne - shows the overwhelming number of Aussies are tolerant, egalitarian and open to different cultures.

But despite this, more than twelve percent of us admit to being biased.

"Eighty-seven percent like cultural diversity, they see the benefit of it. Only 6 percent would argue against that, but one in ten have some really hard attitudes, bad attitudes," Kevin Dunne said. “They believe races are different from one another - some inferior, some superior, that races should be kept separate. One in ten Australians. That's quite a lot.”
The Challenging Racism Report found strong geographic links to racism... and a strong correlation between higher education and tolerance.

Malaysian-born performance artist Tiara Shafiq agrees in principle with the report's findings and claims she's experienced racism while applying for permanent residency.

She says prejudice can manifest itself in subtle ways.

”A lot of things that people do, that they think are well meaning, are actually quite hurtful or racist,” she said. “The people who do them would not ever consider themselves racist.”

The Challenging Racism Report lists a number of initiatives aimed at reducing racism - mainly, facilitating contact between different cultures.

The research comes at a time when Australia is more ethnically diverse than at any other time in its history. Yet a large proportion of people are pro-assimilation. What does this mean for the government's policy of multiculturalism?

Senator Kate Lundy says the report highlights the community's overwhelming support for diversity, and a sound rejection of old assimilationist policies.

”I think it shows that we are completely on the right track here in ensuring an updated response to nurturing and celebrating a multicultural Australia,” Lundy said.

But events in Australia's past like the Cronulla riots and the allegations of racist attacks against Indian students have tarnished Australia's reputation abroad.

And as attitudes towards multiculturalism soften within our borders, repairing Australia's image abroad will be the next big challenge.

j

juan

• View Profile
Multicultural Council 'to target racism'
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 07:37:54 PM »
17 FEB 2011, 5:38 PM   -   SOURCE: SBS - AMANDA CAVILL

Immigration Minister Chris Bowen says the new Multicultural Council will help the government fight racial discrimination and religious extremism, SBS' Amanda Cavill reports.
The Federal Government has announced it will restore  multiculturalism after it abolished the title following last year's federal election.
As part of the move, a new advisory body will be set up  to develop a new multiculturalism policy to combat racism and religious extremism.

Immigration Minister Chris Bowen says the new body will champion multiculturalism and ensure Australia's model of diversity endures.

He says the Australian Multicultural Council will replace the current Australian Multicultural Advisory Council.

The new council will be an independent and permanent body that advises the government on policies relating to multiculturalism.

Mr Bowen says its mandate will be broader than the current advisory council's mandate and it will have a formal, as well as advisory, role in devising multicultural policy.

"The new body will act as a champion for multiculturalism in the community, will advise government on multicultural affairs and will help ensure Australian government services respond to the needs of migrant and refugee communities," he told SBS.

"Australia's diverse immigration program has been to the benefit of both migrants and Australia. It is an indelible and irrevocable part of who we are, and, without it, we would all be the poorer".

Mr Bowen says the Government will also implement a National Anti-Racism Partnership and Strategy.

"While much good work has been done in Australia over the decades, we must continue to work to eliminate all forms of racial discrimination. This strategy will bring together existing expertise on anti-racism and multicultural matters from government  departments, the Australian Human Rights Commission and the Australian Multicultural Advisory Council," Mr Bowen said.
"It's counterintuitive to assume that the majority of migrants want to change Australia. Allegations of migrants wanting to come to Australia to convert the populace and turn it into a replica of their homelands ignore the truth".

Senator Kate Lundy has been appointed as the new parliamentary secretary for multiculturalism.

She says the Government  is determined  to strengthen access and equity for all people of differing backgrounds.

Senator Lundy says the new policy reflects the Government's commitment to a multicultural Australia and the importance of cultural diversity for the nation's future.

"I'm extremely proud of this policy as it puts in place some very strong foundations and frameworks to allow us to progress very important initiatives like the national anti-racism partnership and strategy, like strengthening how government services are responsive to the changing needs of our community, and, of course, a very important multicultural-youth sports partnership program which will offer wonderful opportunities for our young people who are migrants and refugees in Australia," he told SBS. 

Recently, some European leaders declared multiculturalism had failed in their countries.

French president Nicholas Sarkozy is the latest leader to do so, pronouncing multiculturalism a failure in France.

His comments followed similar statements by German Chancellor Angela Merkel and British Prime Minister David Cameron about their countries.

Mr Bowen says, while it appears fashionable around the world to say multiculturalism is dead or to blame for crime and terrorism, Australia is unique.

"Many countries in Europe have nations within nations:  significant communities living "parallel lives."
"Generation after generation has perpetuated segregation from the mainstream -- based on ethnic, religious or cultural divides. This seems to me to underline the benefits of the Australian approach."

j

juan

• View Profile
Racism very much alive in Australia, says Dr Charles Teo
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 07:49:03 PM »
Stephen Drill, Henry Budd From: Herald Sun January 19, 2012 4:36PM

HERALD Sun readers have overwhelmingly endorsed the claim by one of Australia's most respected neurosurgeons that racism still plagues the nation.
Dr Charles Teo, the son of Chinese immigrants, who prolonged the life of Jane McGrath and has saved the lives of hundreds of Australians, said it was wrong to deny there was racism in Australia.

At a launch of Australia Day Council celebrations yesterday, Dr Teo said that racism was still "very much alive in Australia".
"I don't quite like it when I hear politicians reassuring the Indians that there's no racism in Australia. That's bull-----," he said.
A Herald Sun poll on the issue has drawn an emphatic response from readers, with more that 83 per cent of 8257 respondents thus far agreeing that racism is still prevalent.

What do you think of Prof Teo's comments? Tell us below
Former premier Jeff Kennett, former Australian Medical Association president Dr Mukesh Haikerwal, singer Kamahl and ex-police commissioner Christine Nixon have all said that racism exists.
But Premier Ted Baillieu said he did not think Australia was a racist country.
"I don’t deny, and I don’t think anyone would deny, that there are in any community people with racist attitudes,” Mr Baillieu said.
"My message to them is that Victoria has a very, very proud record of defending our multicultural base and promoting that multicultural community.
"We will not tolerate any form of discrimination.”
Dr Teo said his daughter had been a victim of racism.
"My daughter was just saying to me the other day, very sadly, she doesn't like Australia Day because she has in the past dressed up, got into the spirit of things, put a sticker on her face, worn the green and gold and been told by drunk Australians to go home because she looks Chinese," he said.
"That's so sad, because you can't get more Australian than my daughter."
He knew of an Indian neurosurgeon who had come to Australia to study for three months who was spat on in the street and told to "go home".
But Dr Teo, who holds the Order of Australia, said migrants also had a responsibility to integrate into Australian society.
Mr Kennett said that racism occurred among children, but he taught his own grandchildren to be tolerant of other races.
"I think there always will be elements of racism and it is often manifest itself in different ways," he said.
Kamahl, who came to Australia from Sri Lanka in 1953, said: "Of course there are bad apples, people who are racist ... Educated minds and educated hearts are required to stop racism."
Melbourne was gripped by a wave of racist assaults on Indian students in 2009, which has been blamed for a drop in the number of students from that country enrolling here this year.
Dr Haikerwal, victim of a vicious bashing in 2008, said Australia was overall a welcoming society, but racism did exist.
He was in "the wrong place at the wrong time" when he was attacked, but Indian students were racist targets.

"Attacks shouldn't happen against guests of our nation," he said.
Former Victorian police commissioner Christine Nixon said all Australians had come from other countries.

"There is racism particularly against our own Aboriginal people and it always surprises me since we've all come from other places," she said.

With Gemma Jones and Ashley Gardiner
[email protected]

« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 08:09:23 PM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
Australians urged to stand up to racism
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 07:56:56 PM »
News.com.au AAP August 24, 2012 1:13PM

IT is up to every Australian to stand up to bullies and condemn racist behaviour, the nation's top lawmaker says.
Attorney-General Nicola Roxon said every member of the community can play their part to stamp out racism.

Her comments came at the launch of a national anti-racism strategy launched by federal race discrimination commissioner Dr Helen Szoke in Melbourne on Friday.
Dr Szoke told the launch racism is more prevalent in Australia than people believe.
"Discrimination costs us financially and culturally," Dr Szoke told the gathering of business people, sporting bodies, unionists and politicians.
"We're going to have a go at identifying racism," she said.
"We're going to make the point that racism can take a real toll on people's lives and communities."
The strategy was launched on behalf of the Australian Human Rights Commission and is backed by a campaign, "Racism stops with me".
Federal Multicultural Affairs Minister Kate Lundy said the strategy is aimed at encouraging people to challenge racism and put an end to discrimination.
"Racism discounts the contribution thousands of migrants have made to our nation," Senator Lundy said.
Ms Roxon said individuals need to point out bad behaviour when they see it.

"It does require people to stand up when they see something that's wrong and like in all other areas of bullying, the silence of the majority allows bullies to get away with bad behaviour," she told reporters.

j

juan

• View Profile
Third union admits to hiring 457 employee
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 07:39:55 PM »
by: Ewin Hannan From: The Australian April 05, 2013 12:00AM

A THIRD union has admitted employing an overseas worker on a 457 visa.

The Finance Sector Union yesterday revealed it has a US strategic corporate researcher on its payroll to train local staff.
Following admissions by the Transport Workers Union and the Maritime Union of Australia that they had engaged overseas workers on 457 visas, the FSU confirmed it had employed the US researcher for six months, and the arrangement had been extended by six months to June 30 this year.

FSU national secretary Leon Carter told The Australian yesterday the union would have employed an Australian worker "in a heartbeat" if an appropriately skilled local had been available.

Mr Carter said the union had not advertised the position but had conducted an extensive search across the local labour movement for a "high-level" strategic corporate researcher who could train local staff to undertake sophisticated research of complex corporate structures.

"It was a genuine process where we'd identified a skills gap," Mr Carter said. "I explored every opportunity and option within this country and then spoke to our internationally affiliated union which identified the person."

ACTU president Ged Kearney yesterday defended the use of 457 visas by unions, including the decision by TWU national secretary Tony Sheldon, to employ an Irish media officer, Barry Dunning, on a 457 visa, despite the large numbers of staff that have recently left Fairfax and New Limited, publisher of The Australian. The Media, Entertainment and Arts Alliance yesterday said "media vacancies should be filled with local applicants, and that only in circumstances where open canvassing of the local market has failed to find anyone with the necessary skills should the use of someone on a 457 visa be contemplated"
The MEAA declined to comment specifically on the decision by Mr Sheldon, who maintained he could not find suitably qualified Australian workers to fill the three senior position subsequently filled by overseas employees on 457 visas.

Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry chief executive Peter Anderson said Mr Sheldon's claim that some employers using 457 visas were engaging in "human trafficking was as outrageous as the thought that a Left-leaning local journalist could not be found to fill a shortage in a union".

Unions including the Construction Forestry Mining and Energy Union, the Australian Workers Union, the National Union of Workers and the Communications Electrical and Plumbing Union said they did not employ overseas workers on 457 visas.
Asked on ABC radio's AM why unions would not talk to the broadcaster about whether they employed workers on 457 visas, Ms Kearney said: "Because we are trying to keep this debate about human rights and I think that is really where the argument should be".

Ms Kearney denied the latest developments were embarrassing to the union movement.
"We have never as a movement opposed 457 visas," she said.
"There is no hypocrisy here. I think it's quite clear, it seems to me, that the Murdoch press is trying to stir this up as a hornet's nest."

Would be interesting to have Filipinos back home applying for jobs here and see how they go. Only then can we ascertain the truth. :) ;)

j

juan

• View Profile
Gillard's trip to China has miners sceptical
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 09:53:52 PM »
ABC Rural By Caitlyn Gribbin Monday, 08/04/2013

A resources analyst says miners will be sceptical about the benefits of the Prime Minister's five-day trip to China, one of Australia's largest export markets for coal and iron ore.

Julia Gillard has held her first official talks with the new Chinese president, discussing free trade negotiations and importance of the relationship between the two countries.

Resources analyst Peter Wright says Chinese buyers want to see more stability in Australia, but would be aware of Ms Gillard's unpopularity as Prime Minister. [time to go, Ms Gillard!] :)

"They'd be wholly aware and realistic of what's going on and you would question exactly how much will actually get done up there," he said.

"They will just be waiting for an impression of certainty, carbon tax certainly, there's talk of re-examining the mining tax, 457 visas.

"What they would be after is an image of certainty; certainty of outcomes, certainty of operating environments just is crucial."

Of course, China and, for that matter, many other Asian nations dislike racism which is clearly targeted against them. Hope she loses come election in September. :) ;)