• 2 replies
j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
US visa programme may top quota soon
« on: April 03, 2013, 12:57:54 AM »
Business Report April 2 2013 at 08:04am

San Francisco - A popular United States visa programme for skilled workers is likely to hit its quota within days after its application period opens, triggering a lottery and signalling that companies feel confident enough about the economy to hire more foreign workers.

The H-1B programme will not have reached its base cap of 65 000 so quickly since early 2008, before the economic crisis hit. That was the last time a lottery was used, according to US Citizenship and Immigration Services, which processes the applications.

The application period opened on Monday. The USCIS plans to announce by the middle of next week if it will hold a lottery for the visas, a spokesperson told Reuters on Monday. It had previously said it anticipated the quota for the year starting October 1 could be met by Friday.

Last year the cap was not reached until June.

Preliminary paperwork that prospective visa-seekers must file with the Department of Labour before applying to USCIS indicates that there is demand for well over 65 000 visas, said Jacksonville, Florida-based lawyer Ashwin Sharma, who handles H-1B visa applications for technology consulting firms. He expects a record volume of applications this year.

US companies, particularly in technology, say they need the visas to fill vacant positions. But some worker-advocacy groups counter that the companies are using the visa programme to hire cheaper foreign labour.

While the official quota is 65 000, the actual number of people who enter the United States on H-1Bs is far greater because workers at universities and some other workplaces don't count toward the limit. Masters and PhD graduates from US universities have their own quota of 20 000 visas.

Last year, the government issued 129 000 H-1B visas - almost double level of the official quota.

The US Congress is currently working on immigration reform legislation. Among proposals being considered is a revamp of the H-1B programme that could raise the quota based on demand and eliminate the lottery. - Reuters
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Re: US visa programme may top quota soon
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 09:45:30 PM »
Only 6 views to date? ???
What's wrong with Uncle Sam? Nobody wants to go to him anymore? ???
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
OECD Index Rates Australia the World's Happiest Nation
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 07:49:37 PM »
40 views now. Much better this time. But doesn't change the fact that Australia is the happiest nation on earth. :P :) ;)
Tuesday, June 05, 2012

According to the Better Life Index of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), Australia is the "happiest" industrialized country in the world.

The index compares statistics of 36 countries in 11 categories that the OECD has identified as essential in the areas of material living conditions and quality of life.

Thanks to a timely resources boom in Australia, the country was the only major developed nation to avoid the recession from the global financial crisis. It was highly ranked in most of the 11 Better Life Index topics including, jobs, housing, community, education, environment, health and life satisfaction.

"Australia performs exceptionally well in measures of well-being, as shown by the fact that it ranks among the top countries in a large number of topics in the Better Life Index," the OECD said.

The Index also showed that life expectancy at birth in Australia was almost 82 years, two years higher than the OECD average. More than 72 percent of people had a paid job in Australia at the age of 15 to 64, above the OECD average of 66 percent, and work less hours per year than most people in the OECD.

With high water and air quality, health in Australia was rated highly. The level of atmospheric air pollutant particles small enough to enter and cause damage to the lungs is considerably lower than the OECD average and 92 percent of people said that they were satisfied with the quality of their water.

If you are interested in Australian visas , contact Migration Expert for information and advice on which visa is best suited to you. You can also try its visa eligibility assessment to see if you are eligible to apply for a visa to Australia. :) ;)