UCI won against BYU during the 2013 Men's Volleyball NCAA Championships

• 17 replies

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
The Anteaters, who won NCAA crowns in 2007, 2009 and 2012 and have not lost in the Final Four since 2006, The Anteaters put on a clinic at the net with 17 blocks en route to a straight-sets victory over BYU (25-23, 25-22, 26-24). The top-seeded, The Cougars, who have beaten UCI twice this season, had no answer to the attack of the high-powered The Anteaters.

LOS ANGELES -- UC Irvine won its second straight NCAA men's volleyball title and fourth in seven years, sweeping top-ranked BYU in three sets Saturday night at Pauley Pavilion.

Connor Hughes, Kevin Tillie and Zack La Cavera each had 11 kills to help the Anteaters (25-7) become the first team to successfully defend a title since UCLA in 1996. UC Irvine also won in 2007 and 2009.

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide

"We came into the season with this as our objective," coach David Kniffin said. "I think everyone thought BYU would be in this position. This whole season has been based on beating BYU.

BYU (26-5) beat Irvine twice in the regular season, but couldn't overcome the Anteaters' offense and their own mistakes. The Cougars had 21 errors to Irvine's 12.

"We were struggling offensively all night," BYU coach Chris McGown said. "I thought UCI played inspired volleyball. They were as good as anyone we played this season.

Irvine, an at-large selection in the tournament, won the first set 25-23, in a game that saw 13 ties and 13 lead changes.

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide

In the second set, BYU used an 8-1 run to take the largest lead of the match for either team at 11-4. Irvine came back, winning the next five points to pull within two, and tied it at 12. The Anteaters survived a late BYU rally and took the set 25-22.

"I feel like it was a big turning point," said Hughes, voted the Most Outstanding Player of the tournament. "I wasn't even looking at the scoreboard. We just want to play that point to point style like we talked about and we can get back in it."

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide

In the third, Irvine was down 24-21, then won the next five points to close out the match.

"They just executed," McGown said. "We passed OK for the first couple of points. But they got in good position defensively and executed and we couldn't. They have big guys and we had trouble with them. It was remarkable how well they played."

Scott Kevorken had the winning point.

"It was a pretty big moment," Kevorken said. "We had been there before, but I just felt such poise and control."

It was the second straight sweep for UC Irvine in the championship game. The Anteaters beat Southern California in three set last year.

Taylor Sander led the Cougars with 20 kills.

wardiflex

• OMG Fanaticz
    • View Profile
wew! grabe ang aksyon ...binunalay jud... this is bai framel game...

UCI vs. BYU 2013 Men's Volleyball Championships
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 09:27:30 PM by OMG! »
kinsa tong mag pa pintal sa ilang balay etc., just inform me, naa koy kaila nga d best.09487352092

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
wew! grabe ang aksyon ...binunalay jud... this is bai framel game...

kung makita lang ito sana ni Framel and Shane na topic, matutuwa mga hunks na yun

UCI Championship point versus BYU 2013 Men's Volleyball

« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 09:27:51 PM by OMG! »

ryanjoe

• Global Moderator
  • Here without you.
    • View Profile
this must be a good game
You had me at my best. She had me at my worst.

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
this must be a good game
indeed, me and janet had so much fun watching at may video pa yan

ryanjoe

• Global Moderator
  • Here without you.
    • View Profile
oo nga. and they're all good looking
You had me at my best. She had me at my worst.

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
oo nga. and they're all good looking
nasa kanila na yata lahat bro hehehe