j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
The Four-Stage Application Process
« on: July 04, 2013, 07:22:56 PM »
Posted: 4/07/2013 9:18:02 AM by Mining Oil and Gas Jobs
Filed under: Job-seekers, Career-resources

As the Australian job market grows increasingly competitive, potential employers have responded by updating the application process to better screen unsuitable applicants. Here, we assess the four stages of employment candidacy to show you how to improve your chances.

1. The Opportunity
Job advertisements can be found in many places, from newspapers to sites like miningoilandgasjobs.com.au, but no longer are they subject to requests of ‘send us your résumé’.
Beyond the standard CV-and-cover-letter collaboration, some examples of application requests include addresses to selection criteria, video biographies and online exams. Increasing the application standard means companies can screen out unsuitable candidates quickly – consider it a test to find out how well you follow directions.This is why it’s important to read the advertisement in full and work out what they are asking you to do. Next step: applying.

2. The Application
According to a recent survey, every job advertisement receives an average of 118 applicants, only 20% of whom receive an interview. Standing out might seem impossible, but as only 30% of applicants are qualified for a vacancy, the task may not be as difficult as you think.
First, dedicate time to developing your application. If the result is gaining employment, a few hours will be worth the effort. Research the role and the company. By understanding what you’re applying for, you can tailor your application and demonstrate your genuine interest in joining the employer’s team.

Be creative within the guidelines. No matter how you choose to stand out, always make sure you are meeting the employer’s requests. If they are after a selection criteria submission, don’t substitute it with a cover letter.

3. Submission
Every job advertisement has a reasonably small window of opportunity, so submitting your application should be a timely practice. Aim for submission within five days of the job vacancy first being posted.
Check how the employer wishes to have applications submitted. Many job sites have an ‘Apply Now’ option, but many employers write in the advertisement to send applications to a particular e-mail address. Make sure you have completed all elements of the application, including any possible exams they might ask you to undertake.

4. Response
After the waiting game, response to an application will come in one of two forms: interview or rejection. If your application is unsuccessful, don’t be dissuaded. Responding with thanks and assurance that you will continue applying is a simple way to distinguish yourself from the rest in future. If you did reach the interview stage and didn’t quite make it, request some feedback – you may find their assessment helpful.

Employers are often surprised by how few candidates can follow directions provided in a job advertisement, but approaching each stage of the hiring process can help you to stand out and eliminate simple mistakes.

If you do land the interview, congratulations! Click here http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/career-resources/the-job-interview/tips-for-interview-success.aspx  for some useful interview tips.

To read more click http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/our-blog/july/the-four-stage-application-process.aspx
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.