The Post-American World: Release 2.0 – by Fareed Zakaria

• 5 replies
j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
The Post-American World: Release 2.0 – by Fareed Zakaria
« on: February 14, 2013, 04:58:20 PM »
Fareed Zakaria’s international bestseller The Post-American World pointed to the “rise of the rest”—the growth of countries like China, India, Brazil, and others—as the great story of our time, the story that will undoubtedly shape the future of global power. Since its publication, the trends he identified have proceeded faster than anyone could have anticipated. The 2008 financial crisis turned the world upside down, stalling the United States and other advanced economies. Meanwhile emerging markets have surged ahead, coupling their economic growth with pride, nationalism, and a determination to shape their own future.

In this new edition, Zakaria makes sense of this rapidly changing landscape. With his customary lucidity, insight, and imagination, he draws on lessons from the two great power shifts of the past 500 years—the rise of the Western world and the rise of the United States—to tell us what we can expect from the third shift, the “rise of the rest.” The great challenge for Britain was economic decline.

The challenge for America now is political decline, for as others have grown in importance, the central role of the United States, especially in the ascendant emerging markets, has already begun to shrink. As Zakaria eloquently argues, Washington needs to begin a serious transformation of its global strategy, moving from its traditional role of dominating hegemon to that of a more pragmatic, honest broker. It must seek to share power, create coalitions, build legitimacy, and define the global agenda—all formidable tasks.

None of this will be easy for the greatest power the world has ever known—the only power that for so long has really mattered. America stands at a crossroads: In a new global era where the United States no longer dominates the worldwide economy, orchestrates geopolitics, or overwhelms cultures, can the nation continue to thrive?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 05:24:57 PM by juan »
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Fareed Zakaria
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 05:03:53 PM »
Fareed Zakaria is host of CNN’s flagship international affairs program—Fareed Zakaria GPS, Editor at Large of TIME, a Washington Post columnist, and a New York Times bestselling author.  He was described in 1999 by Esquire Magazine as “the most influential foreign policy adviser of his generation.” In 2010, Foreign Policy named him one of the top 100 global thinkers.Since 2008, he has hosted Fareed Zakaria GPS, which airs Sundays worldwide on CNN.  Dr. Zakaria’s in-depth interviews with the Dalai Lama, heads of state including Barack Obama, Manmohan Singh, King Abdullah II, Dmitry Medvedev, Moammar Gadhafi and Lula da Silva, as well as countless intellectuals, business leaders, politicians and journalists have been broadcast in more than 200 million homes around the world.  Within its first year, GPS garnered an Emmy nomination for an interview with Premier Wen Jaibao.Dr. Zakaria was introduced as TIME Editor at Large in October 2010 after spending 10 years overseeing all of Newsweek’s editions abroad.  His cover stories and columns—on subjects from globalization and emerging markets to the Middle East and America’s role in the world—reach more than 25 million readers weekly.   While his columns have received many awards including a 2010 National Magazine Award, his October 2001 Newsweek cover story, “Why They Hate Us,” remains the most decorated.  Before joining Newsweek in October 2000, he spent eight years as managing editor of Foreign Affairs, a post he was appointed to at only 28 years old.

The Post-American World, which is Dr. Zakaria’s most recent book, was heralded in the New York Times book review as “…a relentlessly intelligent book” and The Economist called it “…a powerful guide” to facing global challenges.  Like The Post-American World, his previous book, The Future of Freedom, was a New York Times bestseller and has been translated into over 20 languages.

Born in India on January 20, 1964, Dr. Zakaria went on to receive a B.A. from Yale College and a Ph.D. from Harvard University.  He has received honorary degrees from numerous universities including Brown, the University of Miami, and Oberlin College.  He lives in New York City with his wife, son and two daughters.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Fracking shifts the global power balance
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 05:23:24 PM »
By ABC's Sara Phillips
Posted Fri Feb 8, 2013 3:35pm AEDT

As fracking allows the US to tap into its own energy resources, the global politics which has historically been heavily influenced by oil supplies will be dramatically altered, writes Sara Phillips.
A rough estimate from Brown University of the cost to the American people of the "War on Terror" is a staggering $US4 trillion.

The war, nominally against radical Islamic ideology, is also widely seen as the US attempting to gain a strategic foothold in the oil-rich Persian Gulf. With a price tag of $4 trillion, it was clearly a much-valued foothold for the superpower.
Thomas Friedman, in his book Hot, Flat, and Crowded laments the time, money and energy spent securing this precarious perch in the tumultuous Middle East in the name of oil.

Our oil addition is not just changing the climate system; it is also changing the international system...
 First, and most important, through our energy purchases we are helping to strengthen the most intolerant, anti-modern, anti-Western, anti-women's rights, and antipluralistic strain of Islam - the strain propagated by Saudi Arabia.
Second, our oil addition is helping to finance a reversal of the democratic trends in Russia, Latin American, and elsewhere that were set in motion by the fall of the Berlin Wall and the end of Communism...I call this phenomenon 'the First Law of Petropolitics': As the price of oil goes up, the pace of freedom goes down...

However German magazine Der Spiegel this week pointed out how the global politics that have unfolded as a result of the US strategic foothold may be all about to change because of fracking.
Fracking is short for hydraulic fracturing. It is a method used to release natural gas trapped in rocks so that it might be tapped for energy use. The gas trapped in rocks is often referred to as "shale gas" by the USA.
To extract the gas from the shale, the energy companies drill directly down into the rock for a few thousand metres and then make a sharp turn and drill horizontally into the rock. Then they pump down water and a mix of chemicals which bust open the cracks in the rock, allowing the gas to flow.

In America, as in Australia, fracking is all the rage. Vast areas are being drilled and probed in the search for natural gas. The US Energy Information Administration predicts that shale gas will contribute more than half of the USA's total gas supply by 2030.
Der Spiegel said in addition to domestic use, the US may become an exporter of energy:
The future of the American energy supply was looking grim until recently. With its own resources waning, the United States was dependent on Arab oil sheiks and erratic dictators. Rising energy costs were hitting a vital nerve in the country's industrial sector.
But the situation has fundamentally changed since American drilling experts began using a method called "fracking," with which oil and gas molecules can be extracted from dense shale rock formations. The International Energy Agency (IEA) estimates that the United States will replace Russia as the world's largest producer of natural gas in only two years. The Americans could also become the world's top petroleum producers by 2017.

This week, Marc Pervan, head of commodity research at the ANZ told The World Today that the US may also become an exporter of coal as demand at home dwindles.
"The US is likely to swing its energy mix much more towards a natural gas and renewable space and away from particularly the oil and coal markets. So there's going to be an excess supply of coal. US has a lot of it and it's either two options - one to shut down the supply or look to export if they can't consume domestically," he said.

And last year, the International Energy Agency said it expects the US to overtake Saudi Arabia in oil supply to the world by 2030.
If the US were to gain energy independence and in fact become a global exporter of energy, the geopolitical implications are immense.
As Der Spiegel said:
When the flows of energy change, the strategic and military calculations of the major powers do as well.
It is assumed the power considered to lie with energy rich countries such as Russia and the Middle Eastern states will pass to the USA, assisting in its renaissance as a global superpower. China and the US will duke it out for supremacy in the 21st Century.
These assumptions, however, are made with fossil fuels as the energy source behind the power.
While fossil fuels will continue to supply the world with energy for years to come, most prescient energy commentators are forecasting the gradual demise and replacement of these traditional fuels.

As the world increasingly grapples with the creeping effects of climate change, the move to renewables, nuclear and energy efficiency will only accelerate.

What then for these predictions of US global dominance with its fossil fuelled power?
The International Energy Agency says China, India and Brazil are leading the charge for renewable energy. Germany is globally recognised has having mapped out a path to a renewable future. Could it be that these countries will be the superpowers of the 21st Century as they bask in the endless energy provided by the wind, plants and the sun?

Will the powers of the past, the UK, USA and Russia, line up to curry favour with these tyro global players? Will the US spend another $4 trillion on a war to secure a supply of minerals to build solar panels or wind farms?

However the international politics play out into the future, one thing is certain: Australia, with our sunny skies and luxurious amount of space, is well placed to be energy independent and therefore politically impartial to the power struggles unfolding around the world.

Sara Phillips is the editor of the ABC's environmental portal.

j

juan

• View Profile
Re: The Post-American World: Release 2.0 – by Fareed Zakaria
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 05:33:58 PM »
Yes, China, India, Brazil, and others (Germany).
The International Energy Agency says China, India and Brazil are leading the charge for renewable energy. Germany is globally recognised has having mapped out a path to a renewable future. Could it be that these countries will be the superpowers of the 21st Century as they bask in the endless energy provided by the wind, plants and the sun?
Will they undoubtedly shape the future of global power as Fareed Zakaria predicted?

Would be interesting to watch how things will eventuate. :) ;)

« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 05:39:03 PM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
Growth Forecast for BRICS Smart Grid Communications Market
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 07:03:27 PM »
Fareed Zakaria’s international bestseller The Post-American World pointed to the “rise of the rest”—the growth of countries like China, India, Brazil, and others—as the great story of our time, the story that will undoubtedly shape the future of global power. Since its publication, the trends he identified have proceeded faster than anyone could have anticipated. The 2008 financial crisis turned the world upside down, stalling the United States and other advanced economies. Meanwhile emerging markets have surged ahead, coupling their economic growth with pride, nationalism, and a determination to shape their own future.

In this new edition, Zakaria makes sense of this rapidly changing landscape. With his customary lucidity, insight, and imagination, he draws on lessons from the two great power shifts of the past 500 years—the rise of the Western world and the rise of the United States—to tell us what we can expect from the third shift, the “rise of the rest.” The great challenge for Britain was economic decline.

The challenge for America now is political decline, for as others have grown in importance, the central role of the United States, especially in the ascendant emerging markets, has already begun to shrink. As Zakaria eloquently argues, Washington needs to begin a serious transformation of its global strategy, moving from its traditional role of dominating hegemon to that of a more pragmatic, honest broker. It must seek to share power, create coalitions, build legitimacy, and define the global agenda—all formidable tasks.

None of this will be easy for the greatest power the world has ever known—the only power that for so long has really mattered. America stands at a crossroads: In a new global era where the United States no longer dominates the worldwide economy, orchestrates geopolitics, or overwhelms cultures, can the nation continue to thrive?

May 15, 2013

A new report from Zpryme Research examines the smart grid communications market in Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa (BRICS), highlighting 46 vendors who are serving the communications market.

According to the report, an integrated, two-way communications and networking platform is necessary for the smart grid, since several network technologies can be used for communications in the transmission, distribution and customer domains yet none of them suits all potential applications. Methods of providing these communications include cellular communications, power line communications, broadband over power lines, ZigBee, Radio frequency (RF) mesh network, long term evolution (LTE), wireless broadband (4G), and satellite communications, among others.

Smart grid communications infrastructure is constructed in a hierarchical architecture with interconnected individual sub-networks each taking responsibility for separate geographical regions. In general, the communication networks include wide area networks, field area networks, home area networks, local area networks (LAN), private networks, public networks, wired and wireless networks.

The report indicates that the BRICS countries accounted for 24% of the global smart grid communications market in 2012. China will drive the growth of the overall BRICS smart grid communications market, but lucrative opportunities will also develop in Brazil and Russia by 2020. Among the five BRICS countries, India will grow the fastest, with a projected compound annual growth rate of 30%.

Communications for advanced metering infrastructure, enterprise and operations architecture, and distribution automation will make up the lion's share of the BRICS market, accounting for 76% and 72% of the market in 2012 and 2020, respectively. However, communications systems that enable customer systems and distributed energy resource integration will see significant gains during this time period.

Among the report’s findings:
•   The global smart grid communications market was $6.4 billion in 2012. By 2020, the global market is projected to reach $21.6 billion. The market is projected to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 16% from 2012 to 2020.
•   In 2012, the combined smart grid communications market for BRICS nations reached $1.5 billion. By 2020, the market among BRICS nations will reach $9.5 billion.
•   The BRICS nations, as a whole, are projected to grow at a compound annual growth rate of 26% from 2012 to 2020.
•   By 2020, BRICS nations will account for 44% of the global market.

Interesting forecast! Was Smart Grid known when he wrote this bestseller? ???
 :) ;)

j

juan

• View Profile
Re: The Post-American World: Release 2.0 – by Fareed Zakaria
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 01:10:35 AM »
Yes, China, India, Brazil, and others (Germany).
Will they undoubtedly shape the future of global power as Fareed Zakaria predicted?

Would be interesting to watch how things will eventuate. :) ;)

:) ;)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 01:17:45 AM by juan »