• 0 replies
j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
Where To Begin Your Mining Career
« on: September 19, 2013, 10:00:31 PM »
Posted: 20/09/2013 5:00:00 AM by Mining Oil and Gas Jobs
Filed under: Job-seekers, Mining, Oil-and-gas, Training-and-Development, Career-resources

Whether you need training or just want advice on how to improve your chances, AMMA training coordinator Michelle Tilley knows everything there is to know about what the resource sector wants from its employees. Here, Michelle speaks first-hand about breaking into the industry and exactly how to make sure you are the best candidate for the job.

The number of people wanting to work in the mining and resource sector is growing every day and at the AMMA training and development division, we have many people enquiring about how to secure mine work. Contrary to popular belief, it is never as easy as just saying, “I’m going to work in the mines”.

As is widely known, the draw to mining is remuneration, but with a large pay day comes expectations for long hours, extended time away from your family, and most importantly, hard work. As such, mining and resource industry employers are looking for two key elements: skills and experience.
The only sure way to increase your employability in the resource sector is to gain qualifications (tickets) http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/mining/licences,-tickets---certifications.aspx that include practical such as graders, dozers etc. and management such as Frontline Management, Human Resources and WHS at Certificate IV level.

The resource market does fluctuate in its employment drives, often moving workers to one side in times of slump. The consequence of market shifts means it is even more critical to remain at the top of the employment tree in current and transferable skills. In addition to qualifications, something else to consider and maintain is your physical and psychological health. Good health and stamina are a rarely advertised must-have on almost every employer’s selection criteria.

When you begin your search for the dream job, look firstly at location. This sounds reasonable, however few people consider that jobs can be conducted in extreme heat, noisy and humid environments. That said, the condition of mining camps has improved considerably over the years – any of Fortescue’s Port Hedland mess halls offer an impressive array of culinary indulgences throughout the day, while other projects in the Pilbara offer social clubs, gyms, bars and even cinemas.

Mining has a male dominated history and it was thought many years ago that women should never be brought underground as this would bring bad luck; of course no resource employer believes that today! In Australia women still only represent approximately 15% of the entire mining workforce, but with skills and experience, there are many opportunities on offer to women, from administrative roles to engineering

The ways to increase your chances of becoming part of the resource industry is to upskill and gain as much experience as you can in your chosen field of work. You will need to be healthy, active and flexible in your approach to what is on offer and be prepared to accept any offers on your way in. As many jobs are in remote locations, your search can be as far and wide as necessary. If you have a family then everyone should be on board with your decision to follow this career path – once you commence your life in the resource sector, turning back is a decision you will find very difficult to make.

For further information on courses and ways in which you can improve your employment chances, visit miningoilandgasjobs.com.au or speak to one of our AMMA training and development team members on 1800 891 662.

To read more, click http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/our-blog/september/where-to-begin-your-mining-career.aspx
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 10:07:41 PM by juan »
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.