• 67 replies
j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
Re: Massive extremely dangerous earthquake in Mindanao, Philippines
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 05:39:14 PM »
please help Juan
This site has become a repository for a wealth of information on Australian job opportunities. Rest is up to them. ;)
Mining billionaire Andrew Forrest to donate $65 million to higher education in Western Australia
ABC By Caitlyn Gribbin, staff - October 15, 2013, 1:03 pm

Mining billionaire Andrew "Twiggy" Forrest has made one of the biggest single philanthropic donations in Australian history, and called on other tycoons to share their wealth.

Mr Forrest will contribute $65 million to higher education in Western Australia.

He says he wants the money to attract some of the best minds in the world to West Australian universities.

Mr Forrest says he wants to encourage others to give more generously.

Mr Forrest's wealth was valued at $3.66 billion by magazine BRW in May, putting him ninth on a list of the country's richest people.
Me no Aussie mining tycoon. Can help only one talented Filipino lass. :) ;)
Quote from: juan on July 09, 2013, 03:17:48 PM
Offering money/scholarships to a young talented Filipino woman to become an engineer in exchange for a night (or nights) with you for whatever absurd plans and crap that you're very desperate of  becoming my wife.
 :-* ;)

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Re: Massive extremely dangerous earthquake in Bohol, Philippines
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 06:22:02 PM »
City Hall in Tagbilaran City, badly damaged! Breaking News: Earthquake in Bohol! Some news and photos, click link:

http://www.mikeygatal.com/connect/index.php?topic=16770.0

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 10:06:40 PM »
please help Juan

Do I really care?
 ??? :-\
“Adventure is a path. Real adventure – self-determined, self-motivated, often risky – forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it. Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness. In this way you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind – and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white.” – Mark Jenkins
 :) ;)
"Much of our life is imposed by others needs which we try as we can to meet the goals set upon us, knowing not why we strive to be or at least appear to be better than all around us we tarry through life until we die. 

At this time I wonder how many regret time taken from them by proving themselves to others, or do they simply regret not having more or being more.

As eyes close and tethers are broken the chains we tied disappear just like the reality that existed which is they were never there but simply a figment that was produced so we feel superior.

I opt for trial by fire at death, let that give my soul wings rather than rot bitter and twisted slowly composting." (Anonymous)  :) ;)

« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 10:12:05 PM by juan »

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 07:43:36 AM »
Trending: Unsa katinuod naay volcano sa Bohol found? click link and comment please:

http://www.mikeygatal.com/connect/index.php?topic=16781.0

j

juan

• View Profile
get it straight from the horse's mouth.
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 06:25:37 PM »

Commercial break muna! Attention: Homeless earthquake victims!
Sacrifice sale -- Inheritance Settlement
# 6 Dove St., Isabel Village, Palao, Iligan City, Philippines
Inspect to appreciate
Contact Mr. Jose Y. Tan in the same address.
It's a steal!!!!!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

j

juan

• View Profile
Understanding the Bohol, Philippines earthquake
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 06:34:49 PM »
What happened exactly in Bohol?
At 8:12 AM on 15 October 2013, Tuesday, a destructive earthquake of magnitude 7.2 shook the island of Bohol and nearby provinces. Smaller-magnitude earthquakes followed afterwards, and as of 1:00 pm, 16 October 2013, 885 earthquakes have been recorded by the PHIVOLCS seismic monitoring network. At least 15 events were reportedly felt in the epicentral area. The main shock and succeeding aftershocks were located in the vicinity of Bohol. These recorded events were shallow, with a depth of at most 32 kilometers. Based on spatial distribution of succeeding events and characteristics of the earthquake, the event is tectonic in origin.
Based on preliminary intensity reports, the strongest ground shaking at PEIS VII (comparable with MMI VIII) was felt at Tagbilaran City and several cities in the province of Cebu. Neighboring island provinces of Cebu, Negros Occidental, Negros Oriental, Camiguin, Panay, Leyte, and several areas in northeastern Mindanao felt the earthquake at varying intensities of PEIS I-VI.

Moderate-magnitude (M5 to 6.9) earthquakes have also affected Bohol Island in the past!
On 08 February 1990, a magnitude 6.8 earthquake occurred at Bohol generated by an offshore reverse fault east of the island. Sixteen municipalities felt the strongest intensity of ground shaking at PEIS VIII. There were reports of severe property damages, numerous casualties, hundreds injured, and several thousands homeless. The towns of Jagna, Duero, Guindulman, Garcia Hernandez, and Valencia experienced tsunami inundation.

Why do earthquakes occur in Bohol?
Bohol Island is one of the seismically active areas in the country. Instrumental monitoring of earthquakes for the past century has detected many small to moderate-magnitude earthquakes in Bohol Island. There is at least one known earthquake generator on the island, the East Bohol Fault. In addition, there are other local faults which can be sources of small to large magnitude earthquakes. Earthquakes can also occur offshore or undersea because of local offshore faults near the island or trenches in the vicinity of the region.

Can these present earthquakes indicate volcanic activity?
No. There are no volcanoes in Bohol Island.

What can we expect from the current earthquake activity?
The current seismic trend indicates that the magnitude 7.2 earthquake on 15 October 2013 is the mainshock, and the succeeding small magnitude earthquakes are the aftershocks. Aftershocks are expected, some of which will be felt (ER:and some of them might be dangerous). These may continue for weeks to months, but diminishing in number and strength as time passes. In this case, a higher magnitude earthquake related to this event is no longer expected to occur (ER: True, not related to this event, but as earthquakes cannot be predicted and as the Philippines have many fault systems, a new powerful earthquake can never be excluded :( ).

What can we expect after a large-magnitude/high-intensity earthquake like this?
People are reminded to be cautious of structures visibly weakened or with signs of damage by the 15 October 2013 earthquake, as these may be further damaged by succeeding earthquakes. Strong ground shaking may cause extensive damage to or even the collapse of houses, buildings, bridges, and other infrastructures. Collapsed structures usually account for most of the casualties during a strong earthquake. Falling objects may also cause injuries.

Congratulations to Phivolcs Philippines for their very good explanation of this earthquake

Why are some places sinking and is the sea retreating away from the shore in other locations ?
Answer : deformation and partly liquefaction. In some locations Isla Batasan is one of the islands located between Bohol and Cebu. It is experiencing sudden floods, causing its residents to believe that their island is slowly sinking. Phivolcs explains that there is indeed a big possibility that some islands may start sinking after the earthquake, due to liquefaction and earthquake deformation. Liquefaction happens when the soil loses its strength and stiffness due to an earthquake, causing it to soften and behave like liquid. Earthquake deformation, on the other hand, refers to a change in the original shape of a material.

Retreating sea : This can only be explained by an upthrust of some parts of the island. More detailed measurements in the near future will show serious deformations as can be seen on the images below.  The focal mechanism below shows a mainly thrust earthquake = 2 parts of the fault are pressed into each other. The earthquake was triggered when the extreme forces became too big. The released energy did create all the deformations.

Sinkholes are also generated by the shaking of the underground. Some sinkholes are produced when underground caves are caving in (the island of Bohol had a lot of caves) others are made by the shaking of loose material (some sources say that limestone is abundant in the islands).

Tectonic summary according to the USGS (a little more detailed)
The October 15, 2013 M 7.1 earthquake near the city of Catigbian on Bohol Island, Philippines, occurred as the result of shallow reverse faulting on a moderately inclined fault dipping either to the northwest, or to the southeast. The depth of the event indicates it ruptured a fault within the crust of the Sunda plate, rather than on the deeper subduction zone plate boundary interface. At the latitude of this earthquake, the Philippine Sea plate moves towards the west-northwest with respect to the Sunda plate at a rate of approximately 10 cm/yr, subducting beneath the Philippine Islands several hundred kilometers to the east of the October 15 earthquake at the Philippine Trench.

The Philippine Islands straddle a region of complex tectonics at the intersection of three major tectonic plates (the Philippine Sea, Sunda and Eurasia plates). As such, the islands are familiar with large and damaging earthquakes, and the region within 500 km of the October 15 earthquake has hosted 19 events of M6 or greater, a dozen of which have been shallow (0-70 km).
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 06:55:07 PM by juan »

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 11:37:32 PM »
So many damages

"nothing happens by chance; everything's part of some Greater Design"
 :) ;)

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2013, 08:01:05 AM »
umangat talaga mga lupa sa Inabanga but karamihan sa houses were safe after the earthquake

j

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2013, 11:11:40 AM »
the Arabic word "Mektoub" means "It is written". Someone here mentioned it was a Muslim holiday when the earthquake occurred. :-\ :)

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2013, 05:17:44 PM »
umangat talaga mga lupa sa Inabanga but karamihan sa houses were safe after the earthquake
anong route kaya pa inabanga? I wanted to visit there this coming all souls day.