5 Telltale Signs Your Hair is Damaged

• 0 replies

ryanjoe

• Global Moderator
  • Here without you.
    • View Profile
5 Telltale Signs Your Hair is Damaged
« on: December 17, 2013, 10:53:39 PM »

When you’re too busy with work, kids, life in general, it’s easy to take your crowning glory for granted. Who can blame you, as you quickly put your hair up in a pony or twist it into a bun while heading out the door? Then, come the rare date night or girls night out when you let your hair down and take a good look at yourself in the mirror, do you ever wonder, what the heck happened to my hair??

Don’t panic. A little negligence is reversible with a lot of TLC. Just watch out for these five warning signs:

1. Your locks are limp and lifeless
If your former shiny, bouncy glory is now dull and limp, it may be due to product build-up (when you use a lot of mousse, gel, clay, hairspray and styling products, a clarifying treatment is necessary). But more often than not, it means your hair isn’t getting the nutrition it needs. Treat it with vitamin-enriched products, and be sure to eat a healthy, balanced diet so you nourish from within, too.

2. Your strands break easily
Quick test: after a shower, take a wet strand from your head (just one, you don’t want to create a bald spot!), and gently tug at each end. Ideally, healthy, balanced hair should stretch about 10-30% and bounce back resiliently. If it snaps quickly without stretching, your hair is definitely dry and brittle; if it stretches a lot and then breaks off, your hair lacks both protein and moisture. If it just keeps on stretching and doesn’t return to its original state, your hair lacks protein. From here, you’ll get a good idea on whether your hair needs major moisturizing, protein treatment, or both!

3. You have split ends
When was the last time you took a good look at your hair? If you suddenly realize it’s full of split-ends and flyaways, get a trim, stat! The presence of split ends means that your hair is weak and prone to breakage; nutrients and essential oils aren’t reaching the ends of your hair, so you definitely need to supplement with a treatment conditioner to seal in moisture and smooth hair cuticles (you know the drill: concentrate less on the roots, more on the tips). Take extra care when brushing your hair so you don’t do further damage (use a wide-toothed comb instead of a brush, if possible), and get a regular trim every four to six weeks to keep your locks healthy and split-end free!

4. Your hair is fried, literally
If you’ve abused your hair with bad dye jobs, straightening, perming, overzealous blow-drying, or even sunbathing all day long, chances are, your hair is bound to overdose on all those chemical treatments and heat torture. Sure, your hairstyle is up-to-date, but inspected up close, your hair strands are probably in an atrocious state—time to resuscitate it with a deep conditioning treatment at the salon (ideally, once a month), followed by daily treatment conditioner at home. And don’t forget to coat it with leave-in conditioner the next time you bask in the sun!

5. Your brush is alarmingly full of hair strands
Hair falls at an average rate of 100 strands a day—but lately, do you feel like you’re in danger of going bald with all the hairy evidence on your brush, sofa, and shower drain? First off, assess your situation and see what could be causing your excessive
hair fall (stress and pregnancy are major triggers). Next, take action with a nourishing diet and hair products, to provide a healthy balance of moisture and nutrients. Remember, shampoo alone won’t bring out the full beauty of your hair, so be sure to use a conditioning treatment that guards against hair fall to maintain strong, smooth, and gorgeously shiny locks!
You had me at my best. She had me at my worst.