Caffeine As A Brain Booster: Coffee May Help Enhance Memories, Strengthen Long-T

• 4 replies
j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
Caffeine As A Brain Booster: Coffee May Help Enhance Memories, Strengthen Long-Term Memory
International Business Times By Charles Poladian on January 14 2014 12:59 PM

A new study suggests caffeine may help strengthen long-term memory and act as a “memory enhancer.” The study is the first of its kind to look at the effect of caffeine on long-term memory, and its findings could factor into new treatments for cognitive decline in older adults.

Researchers from Johns Hopkins University conducted a double-blind trial that had participants analyze a set of images. After the session, the volunteers were given either a placebo or a 200-milligram caffeine tablet (equivalent to what's in one cup of strong coffee). The doses were administered five minutes after the subjects studied the images, followed by additional tablets one hour, three hours and 24 hours after the initial session.

The next day, participants were asked to look at a set of images that contained images from the previous day, new images and images similar to those find in the original set from the day before. Researchers wanted to test pattern separation, the brain’s ability to determine what makes similar images different. According to the press release, pattern separation indicates memory retention and serves as something that would test the participants’ long-term memory.

Researcher Michael Yassa, from Johns Hopkins, said in a statement, “However, using these items requires the brain to make a more difficult discrimination—what we call pattern separation, which seems to be the process that is enhanced by caffeine, in our case.” According to the researcher, more members of the coffee group were able to correctly identify similar images compared to the placebo group.

According to the study's abstract, caffeine could improve memory consolidation, the brain's ability to convert short-term memories into long-term ones, but it did not serve as a test for memory retrieval.

Most often consumed in coffee or soft drinks, caffeine has been a popular stimulant, increasing alertness, concentration and focus, notes the Mayo Clinic. Too much caffeine is not a good thing and overconsumption could increase the risk of heart problems, such as heart contraction rates and increased heart rate; cause loss of sleep; and raise blood pressure. A recent study found excessive coffee consumption in individuals under the age of 55 was associated with a 50 percent increase in mortality risk. Drinking the right amount of coffee could increase your longevity by a small margin.

For the researchers, this is just the first step in their caffeine study. Yassa hopes to learn more about the mechanism behind coffee's effect on long-term memory. Future studies could include imaging of the hippocampus, the "switchbox for all short- and long-term memories," and provide new insights on the effect of caffeine on Alzheimer's. A recent study revealed a preventative effect of caffeine on Alzheimer's progression.

To read more, click http://www.ibtimes.com/caffeine-brain-booster-coffee-may-help-enhance-memories-strengthen-long-term-memory-1539548
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 04:06:42 PM by juan »
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Quote from: Lyn Ann on January 13, 2014, 09:32:03 PM

Coffee as usual, pampaalis antok..

Sent from my WT19i using Tapatalk 2

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

wardiflex

• OMG Fanaticz
    • View Profile
i luv coffee din talaga... ganahan ko with cream or milk...
kinsa tong mag pa pintal sa ilang balay etc., just inform me, naa koy kaila nga d best.09487352092

j

juan

• View Profile
i luv coffee din talaga... ganahan ko with cream or milk...
Love Irish coffee best. Ang counterpart ana sa ato kotil. :) ;)
Anybody ever tried Irish coffee? :) ;)
Irish coffee (Irish: Caifé Gaelach) is a cocktail consisting of hot coffee, Irish whiskey, and brown sugar, stirred, and topped with thick cream. The coffee is drunk through the cream. The original recipe explicitly uses cream that has not been whipped, although whipped cream is often used. Sugar should be brown and not white. Irish coffee may be considered a variation on the hot toddy. :) ;)

Nostalgic. Thinking of Irish coffee. First tasted in the mining town. :)
There's an Australian song"True Blue" by John Williamson. It's a lament about Australia as a disappearing race. Believe refers to"White Australia" push out from the big cities to the outback and replaced by Asians (mostly Chinese). Hehe. ;) Too lazy to compete with them. Many would be descendants of Irish convicts. Reason believe can still find the traditional Irish coffee in mining towns.
Common, actually, while still working in the mine. First tasted there. :) ;)

Me love Irish coffee. One of my expensive tastes. Another one is girls. :D ;) Combination will be ideal. ;)
Miss that Greek bloke who operated an Italian coffee shop and brewed homemade Irish coffee. Hehehe :) ;) Moved to another state.  :(
That was once upon a time, way back when. :) ;)
Nakahinumdom hinuon ko sa Irish coffee -- a concoction of coffee and whiskey. Alcoholic, eg., whiskey, has a negative effect on one's memory. Wonder what Irish coffee will do. :-\

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
javachip pa more