• 12 replies
j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
Fresh fear over jihadi growth
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 08:05:59 PM »
24 Jan 2015 The Weekend Australian CAMERON STEWART PAUL MALEY

30 WOMEN TRAVEL TO ISLAMIC STATE REGION 90 AUSTRALIANS HAVE NOW JOINED FIGHT LOCAL TERROR CELL HARD TO CRACK

THE number of Australians falling under the spell of the Islamic State terror group is growing at home and abroad, with more than 90 Australian foreign fighters now in the Middle East, bolstered by an exodus of local Islamic women to the self-declared caliphate.
In a new development, up to 30 Australian women have travelled to the war-torn region in recent months to join their fugitive partners or to become brides of Islamic State fighters. They have taken several children with them.

Meanwhile, in Australia, the number of people identified by security agencies as Islamic State supporters has continued to increase despite counter-terror raids across the country in recent months and the bloody highprofile attacks in Sydney’s Martin Place and in Paris.
Authorities remain especially concerned by a small, hard-core cell in Sydney that has been disrupted by raids associated with Operation Appleby but that is still considered to have the intent to launch attacks in Australia.

Security sources say in recent months there has been an “inexorable growth’’ in the number of people in Australia who claim to support Islamic State, but the capacity for would-be terrorists to conduct a large-scale, co-ordinated attack remains limited, with authorities more concerned about the potential for lone-wolf attacks.

The number of Australians now thought to be fighting with extremist groups in Syria and Iraq is believed to have risen steadily from about 75 late last year to about 90 today, although that includes the recent identification of several fighters whose whereabouts were unclear until recently.

Authorities believe that up to five Australian jihadists used the Hajj pilgrimage in Saudi Arabia in October as a cover to leave the country and take up arms with terror groups in Syria and Iraq.

ASIO has cancelled the passports of about 90 local extremists to thwart suspected plans to travel to the Middle East.
In recent months, authorities have seen a sudden exodus of Islamic women who they believe have left Australia to travel to extremist strongholds in Syria and Iraq.

Up to 30 women are believed to have either left Australia for these regions or to be planning to do so.

A small number of these are considered ideologically motivated enough to potentially become fighters themselves, but most are believed to have left the country to join with Australian fighters already over there or become brides for other Islamic State fighters.
This has led to speculation that many of the Australian foreign fighters in Syria and Iraq do not intend to return to the country.

Under recently introduced counter-terror laws, these women may be committing an offence by entering prescribed terrorist zones in Syria, even if they do not take up arms themselves.

Two Australian Somalian women, aged 18 and 20, left Sydney for Syria last month reportedly to offer themselves as jihadi brides. In a series of online posts, one of the women said she wanted to “marry a Mujahid (jihad fighter) and die along with him as a martyr”.
“Pray that my dream of going to Syria is fulfilled. I want to bring it up with my mum but I’m afraid to do so … Australia is nice but I would rather be in Syria.”

Security agencies say a growing proportion of male jihadists seeking to fight overseas are selfradicalised “cleanskins’’ who are leaving the country without the assistance of established jihadist recruitment rings in Australia. This is making it harder for authorities to identify those seeking to travel to extremist strongholds.

Several of these would-be fighters are believed to have been turned back by Turkish authorities in Istanbul after their families alerted Australian authorities that they had left the country with the suspected intention of joining Islamic State.

Turkey remains the most popular entry point for foreign fighters seeking to join extremist groups, despite growing diplomatic pressure on the Turkish government to tighten its porous border with Syria and Iraq.

Despite continued outflow of foreign Australian fighters, no fighters have returned to Australia for the past eight months.
Several who returned before that time are thought to have fought with the extremist group Jabhat al-Nusra in Syria, but no returnees are believed to have taken up arms with Islamic State.

Those fighters who do return are liable to face criminal charges under the recently toughened anti-terror laws.
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
GEOFF CHAMBERS THE DAILY TELEGRAPH MARCH 19, 2015 12:00AM

TWO brothers blocked from leaving Sydney Airport under suspicion they were heading to fight in the Middle East were award-winning students at the prestigious Sydney Boys High public school.

The boys, aged 16 and 17, were prominent members of sporting teams at the selective school, one of eight Great Public Schools (GPS) in Sydney, with the older brother also excelling academically and in debating.

In a Channel 7 investigation aired last night, the brothers were described as not showing any outward signs of radicalisation. It was alleged an ongoing AFP investigation into the brothers found they had listened to online sermons delivered by radical firebrand Sheikh Feiz Mohammed.

Their plan was to travel to Kuala Lumpur on Malaysian Airlines Flight 122 and on to Turkey.

They were stopped by custom officials on March 6. After being detained they were handed over to their mother and father, who is understood to be a teacher at another school in Sydney.

The eldest boy began growing a beard last year in what was the first sign of radicalisation.

Authorities allegedly retrieved a deleted file coaching the boys on how to beat questioning by customs officials. The cheat sheet reportedly included tips on identifying popular tourist attractions within Turkey, a common tactic to avoid suspicion.

They had also allegedly left behind a compromising digital footprint, ¬including comments made on a Facebook post about Syria.

The AFP investigation was expected to include search warrants of the school. The boys, from Sydney’s south-west, attended a popular mosque.

At the time of their detention the boys had sparked the suspicions of two Customs and Border Protection officers, who referred them to the terrorism unit after a bag search.

More than 100 Australians, including about 40 women, are believed to have travelled to Iraq and Syria to join Jabhat al-Nusra and IS.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott ¬described the brothers as “two misguided young Australians”.

Mr Abbott said it seemed they had “succumbed to the lure of the death cult” and “were on the verge of doing something terrible and dangerous”.

Meanwhile, Zehra Duman last night posted a tribute to another Australian jihadist who reportedly died fighting with IS.

Duman, who also boasted about posing in photos with the “Sharrouf family”, paid tribute to a fighter known as Abu Jihad Al Australi.
“May Allah accept Abu Jihad Al Australi obtained Shahada in ayn al-Islam. Reunited with my husband in jannah, neighbours in dunya and Akhirah,” the Twitter account linked to Duman said.

She also told the wife of the dead fighter that she “badly” wanted to join their husbands in jannah. The wife of the dead fighter is close to Duman and Sharrouf’s wife and daughters.

“May Allah accept my husband Abu Jihad al Australi. Promised Allah and fought in the front lines until he obtained shahada,” said the wife of Abu Jihad al Australi.

A RADICAL TASTE FOR LUXURY
Geoff Chambers

AUSTRALIAN jihadists are cruising around ¬war-torn Syria in a luxury white BMW sports car brandishing assault rifles and ¬allowing their children to handle weapons.

In a series of photos published on social media yesterday, Australian women joked about life in the “Caliphate”, posing with high-powered weapons and waving an Islamic State flag.

Zehra Duman, the 21-year-old widow of playboy Melbourne terrorist Mahmoud Abdullatif, who was killed in January, is understood to have grown closer with the family of Sharrouf in recent months and has re-posted photos of a boy believed to be Sharrouf’s son wielding a large knife.

AK-47s and grenades sit behind him in the shot. After a two-month hiatus, former Sydney boxer and wanted murderer ¬Mohamed Elomar also posted two photos of ¬Australian and US jihadi women posing in front of his BMW with the same model ¬assault rifles.
“Sisters from Oz in the khalifah,” he wrote under the orchestrated photo.

Photos previously ¬sourced by The Daily ¬Telegraph of Elomar and Sharrouf posing for photos in front of the French-imported BMW reveal it to be the same ¬vehicle .

To read more and view photos, click http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/sydney-teen-jihadi-brothers-were-top-students-at-sydney-boys-high-public-school/story-fni0cx12-1227268620926 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Reminds me of my college days. Riots and demonstrations were the fad. A student of the prestigious PSHS was killed in a demonstration -- just one of the many.

Nope. The world certainly isn't getting any better. :(
a dream............exactly!!  it's been that way for thousands of years...........and will always be for the next thousands more. ;) :) 8)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 10:18:08 PM by juan »