Philip Seymour Hoffman, Oscar-winning actor, found dead in NYC aged 46

• 5 replies
j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
ABC Updated 48 minutes ago

Oscar-winning American actor Philip Seymour Hoffman has been found dead in his New York City apartment after an apparent drug overdose.

A New York Police Department source said the 46-year-old was found dead by crews responding to a 911 emergency call from a friend of the actor.

The New York Times, citing a law enforcement official, said investigators found an envelope containing what was believed to be heroin in the West Village apartment.

The star has undergone treatment for drug addiction in the past.

The actor is survived by his partner Mimi and their three young children.

"We are devastated by the loss of our beloved Phil and appreciate the outpouring of love and support we have received from everyone," a family statement confirming the death said.

"This is a tragic and sudden loss and we ask that you respect our privacy during this time of grieving.
"Please keep Phil in your thoughts and prayers."

Hoffman won the best actor Oscar for playing writer Truman Capote in the 2005 film Capote.

He went on to receive three nominations for best supporting actor for roles in Charlie Wilson's War (2007), Doubt (2008) and The Master (2012).

He was born in New York State in 1967 and received acting training at New York University.

He made a career of playing colourful supporting characters in films such as Boogie Nights (1997), The Talented Mr Ripley (1999) and Almost Famous (2000).

Hoffman, who has been praised as one of the finest actors of his generation, also starred in a number of blockbusters including Mission: Impossible III (2006) and most recently The Hunger Games franchise.

He also frequently appeared on Broadway, garnering Tony award nominations for Death of a Salesman, Long Day's Journey Into Night and True West.

Hoffman spoke in the past of struggling with drugs, including a 2006 interview in which he told CBS he had abused "anything I could get my hands on. I liked it all."

VIDEO: Hoffman's Oscar acceptance speech (ABC News)

VIDEO: Philip Seymour Hoffman plays Truman Capote

Entertainment industry figures have taken to social media to pay tribute to Hoffman's life and career.
Australian director Adam Elliot, who worked with Hoffman on his Oscar-winning 2009 animated film Max and Mary, told ABC local radio he did not have much money to offer the A-list actor but "he was one of those actors who put the craft of acting first".

It was certainly a challenge for him and we didn't have much time with him to rehearse, but I've been saying to people all morning, he was just like Meryl Streep - a real chameleon and could just get the character so quickly and he was so authentic too.

Being a big A-list actor he was incredibly intimidating. At first, and I was terrified, because my job as a director was to tell him what to do and what sort of performance I want. But within seconds all that fell aside and he really was just concerned about getting the best performance.

He was a very serious man and didn't suffer fools. He took his art form very seriously and, I suppose like a lot of the world's best comedians, there is a dark side which, at times, aides his work but also of course can tear a person down.

To watch video and read updates, click http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-03/american-actor-philip-seymour-hoffman-found-dead/5233442
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 04:24:45 PM by juan »
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

pham

• proud to become an OMG model ever!
    • View Profile
Re: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Oscar-winning actor, found dead in NYC aged 46
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 04:10:33 AM »
R.I.P Phil....

Sent from my S100 using Tapatalk

i'm sexy and i know it!!!

pham

• proud to become an OMG model ever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 04:11:07 AM »
Drugs pala cause of death niya...sayang..he's a great actor pa naman

Sent from my S100 using Tapatalk

i'm sexy and i know it!!!

Yenski

• No letting go, no holding back..
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 04:21:04 AM »
hala ui... luoya noh
Mind Blowing!!

j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 08:15:52 AM »
Pilar Pilapil was once confined in the hospital ... attempted suicide ... drug overdose. She was in her mid-20s. :)
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 02:01:39 AM »
kanang dili maminaw na mga mahal sa buhay bitaw na nag droga, haayyy naku, kapoy na mobadlong nila!