Goodbye Yevgeny Plushenko and Hello Michael Martinez of the Philippines

• 13 replies

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
Olympic gold medalist Russian veteran Yevgeny Plushenko called it quits on his long career after withdrawing injured from the Sochi Games opening a possible medal for Michael Christian Martinez of the Philippines.

Michael Christian Martinez, the first Filipino and Southeast Asian figure skater to compete in the Winter Olympics, has advanced to the free program, set for Friday.

Skating to the evocative love song from the movie "Romeo and Juliet," the 17-year-old Martinez finished 19th among the top 24 who qualified. He got a score of 64.81 in the short program at the Iceberg Skating Palace in Sochi, Russia on Thursday.

Martinez, the sole Olympian of the Philippines in 2014, was the fifth to perform in a field of 29 other skaters from 21 nations.

He avoided spills and other deductions that other skaters received. Martinez did have some landing problems but executed his triple axel, inverted camel and triple loops smoothly.

He closed with a Biellmann spin, a catch-foot position that involves pulling the free foot above the head from behind.

Yenski

• No letting go, no holding back..
    • View Profile
Re: Goodbye Yevgeny Plushenko and Hello Michael Martinez of the Philippines
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 06:38:25 PM »
galing naman! 17 pa xa ingana na kaanad? Bravo to our Kapamilya!
Mind Blowing!!

pham

• proud to become an OMG model ever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 07:00:37 PM »
Go go go michael ...

Sent from my S100 using Tapatalk

i'm sexy and i know it!!!

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 07:39:13 PM »
so much pressure on his shoulders but i think he can manage, good luck Michael Martinez

bby_lai

• love fearlessly......
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 08:37:20 PM »
Go Michael... :-)  you are sooo amazing.

Sent from my IdeaTabA1000-G using Tapatalk

Just be yourself,. Life is too short to be someone else

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 08:39:37 PM »
he wins a lot of fans because of his smiles and easy to approach

bby_lai

• love fearlessly......
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 09:00:13 PM »
Wow galing... So friendly pala...

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 01:32:05 AM »

Whatever the outcome of his performance in the figure skating event, Michael Christian Martinez has already achieved a feat no other Filipino has – compete in the Winter Olympics.

Martinez was set to compete against the best in the world late last night, chasing a top 24 finish to qualify for the men’s figure skating finals in Sochi, Russia.

Martinez is the first-ever homegrown athlete to qualify for the Winter Olympics. He is also the first skater from Southeast Asia to make it to the 90-year Winter Games history.

To date, the 17-year-old skater’s personal best score for the short program is 67.01, accomplished at the 2013 World Junior Championships in Milan, Italy.

“It feels great that I’m here representing the Philippines at the Olympics,” Martinez also told NBCOlympics.com in a recent interview.

He’s just happy to be there and represent the Philippines – regardless of what happens.

bby_lai

• love fearlessly......
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 01:52:53 AM »
Bravo to you Michael...

OMG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Mikey Gatal Worldwide
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 11:40:39 PM »
 UPDATE: One slip and obvious lack of big-time competition experience aside, Michael Christian Martinez delivered a solid program Friday. His marks had him second in the men's finals at the time, although more polished competitors would bump him down the standings. He finished 19th.

Martinez is a surprising skater, talented and athletic, for someone so young and lacking in training. He should be a presence in the 2018 Games.

--

Behind the stories of power and glory, every Olympiad has its small slices of success. In these Winter Games, Michael Christian Martinez is among the most interesting.

First, there's the whole concept: Martinez is from the Philippines. He is 2014's weird story line in the vein of Jamaican bobsledders and the luge competitor from Tonga.

Second, there's the backstory: He learned to skate at a shopping mall rink in the Philippines. He carries the dreams of a country left prostrate by a typhoon. His sponsorship money disappeared, but that didn't keep him from Sochi.

MORE: Martinez images from Sochi | Day 8 at the Winter Games

Third, there's the preliminary result: Martinez, all of 17, qualified for the field of 24 skaters who on Friday will compete for gold. And his score Thursday was the best of his career.

"I feel like a real champion," he said.