beauty tips for our souls

• 2 replies
m

mtrushmore

• View Profile
beauty tips for our souls
« on: April 24, 2008, 05:59:23 AM »
MAINTENANCE

Do you have a funny spot?  I do.  It's on my head.  Sometimes it pops up a week after getting my hair cut.  Sometimes two, or even three weeks later.  And it seems that each time it pops up a little differently.  More than anything, my funny spot dictates when I get my hair cut.

Most of us have funny spots in our personalities, too.  Certain things might rub us the wrong way.  Or in certain situations we might become suddenly shy or clumsy after a while. 

Just as my hair needs maintenance to manage that funny spot, we all need personality maintenance.  We need to know what characteristics about ourselves look "funny" or somehow interfere with smooth relationships with others.  And we need to take regular measures to manage those elements.  Chances are, these are not things we can eliminate (although some might be), but simply to keep a check on them so that they allow us to be pleasant to others and function at our best in our community.

Consider this: you give your car regular maintenance, don't you?

m

mtrushmore

• View Profile
Re: beauty tips for our souls
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 04:09:16 PM »
SUCCESS

"Anyone can sympathize with the sufferings of a friend, but it requires a very fine nature to sympathize with a friend's success."

-- Oscar Wilde's words can be taken in many fashions, but they make me think about what it really means to be successful.  We read every day about how successful people's lives are falling apart.  Drugs.  Divorce.  Beatings.  Infidelity.  You name it.  "Success" in the eyes of others is not necessarily success.

But if someone we know becomes very "successful" - their business takes off, they win a lottery, etc. - we assume he has made it, he is happy, he doesn't need help, etc.  We assume that "success" is a good thing, even if it usually means more stress and whatever comes from that.  Certainly nobody would think to sympathize with someone for her success. But maybe we should think about it a little more carefully the next time we see a friend becoming more "successful".

m

mtrushmore

• View Profile
Re: beauty tips for our souls
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 04:35:48 AM »
 Many people are like garbage trucks. They
run around full of garbage, full of frustration, full of
anger, and full of disappointment. As their garbage piles up,
they need a place to dump it and sometimes they'll dump it on
you. Don't take it personally. Just smile, wave, wish them
well, and move on. Don't take their garbage and spread it to
other people at work, at home or on the streets.