juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
Mining Jobs TV Episode 3 - Unskillled & Entry Level Mining Jobs
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 11:14:43 PM »
Mining Jobs TV Episode 3 - Unskillled & Entry Level Mining Jobs

Published on Mar 26, 2014
MINING JOBS TV Episode 3: Unskillled & Entry Level Mining Jobs

Brought to you by www.miningresumes.com - Kick-start your mining career today and email us at [email protected] or call Mining Resumes on 1300 737 863

Welcome to Episode 3 of Mining Jobs TV. Hi my name is Matt and I will be speaking to you today about unskilled and entry level jobs in the Australian mining industry.

Mining Jobs TV is a FREE online TV channel presenting regular episodes where we will discuss mining jobs and tips that will help you to secure a job in the industry.

You may have probably heard the stories about a friend of a friend who is earning over $100,000 a year on a mine somewhere in Western Australia or Queensland and wondered how you could get a mining job too.

Entry level or unskilled jobs, like trade assistants or plant operators are hard to get now as every man and his dog are applying for them. The best way to get these jobs would be to move out to the little mining towns and live there and register with all the labour hire companies, there are hundreds of them.

Trades people like fitters, welders, boilermakers and electricians still have a fairly good chance of picking up work on mining sites. If you don't have a trade, doing a rigging or scaffolding course would give you a good chance at getting a job, the courses are only about 4 weeks long, but they are fairly expensive.

Other unskilled or basic jobs available include cleaners, laundry workers and kitchen hands which is not difficult if you have hospitality training and experience.

Talking to people who are currently working on mining sites can be a big help, especially if you have no previous experience or qualifications. It would be even better if you could get in contact with expats from your own country who are working on mining sites. They can let you know who to call and what you need to do.

If you are inexperienced and unqualified you need to be fit and ready for physical labour. The work will be very repetitive and routine based with long 12 hour days, so you really need to be mentally prepared, as well as physically.

Some mines will have a very high turnover of workers. This is because many people go to work on the mines not knowing what to expect. Because there can be such a high turnover, you may not start earning big money straight away, although your wages won't be small either. Once you've proved yourself to be a reliable worker, your wages should increase.

Most mining companies will run police checks, as well as drug and alcohol tests. Even though there are wet mess areas on-site where workers can unwind and drink alcohol, they do have to drink in moderation and be fit-for-work before their shift starts

Shutdowns are exactly what the name suggests. Every now and then mining sites need to shut down for upgrades, maintenance or repairs and they usually hire people temporarily to work during shut downs. A lot of the work is unskilled and doesn't last very long, so it's great for backpackers who want to keep on travelling and don't want to make a full-time commitment. It's also a great way to get your foot in the door and gain valuable on-site experience.

To do certain mining jobs you will need to get licences and training, or 'tickets' as they are more commonly known. There are lots of different types of tickets depending on what type of work you're going to do. Some tickets can be very expensive and mines in different states require different tickets, so you really need to do your research before you start spending money on courses.

[Attention: Lovely young Pinays!!!!!]
Don't think that just because you're female that the mining companies and recruiters won't consider you. The mining industry in Australia is becoming increasingly gender neutral. It's not just cooking and cleaning jobs either on offer for women either; more and more women are working on Australian mining sites, and in some cases, companies even prefer women for certain jobs. For example, a popular job for women on mining sites is driving a dump truck because research has shown that women are easier on the multi-million dollar equipment yet still get the job done. :-* ;)

It's most important to ensure you have the resume professionally worded and designed to stand out from your competitors. We highly recommended Mining Resumes to prepare your resume as they are the industry leaders in resume preparation for clients seeking jobs in the mining and oil & gas industry. They can be contacted via phone on 1300 RESUME or have a look at their website miningresumes.com with package details and samples browse that demonstrate their quality and experience.

If you aren't already signed up to receive the Mining Jobs episodes, fill out your name and email address in the box at the bottom right hand side of our website at miningjobs.tv or email us at [email protected].
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 11:29:06 PM by juan »
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Re: Mining Jobs Australia - www.aussieminejobs.com.au
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 09:13:19 PM »
This is where you have to go to strike it rich -- Australia's mines. :) ;)

Once you’ve had enough, if you want to live in a bustling metropolis like Sydney, what’s more important is have brains as well. As such, you have to invest in education while still in the mines, e.g., take online courses.
Similar to the difference between living in bustling Makati and in the province. :) ;)

"Education = Knowledge
Knowledge = Power
Power = Respect
Respect = Happiness"
 :) ;)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
Re: Mining Jobs Australia - www.aussieminejobs.com.au
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 10:39:38 PM »
This is where you have to go to strike it rich -- Australia's mines. :) ;)
And go to Macau on your week-off. ;)
Counting the Cost - Betting on Macau
Counting the Cost - Betting on Macau

Published on Feb 2, 2013
This week on Counting the Cost we look at one of the world's most unique economies. Macau's economy expanded 14 percent last year and shows no signs of slowing down. In fact, quite the opposite. If all predictions are correct, the former Portuguese colony will have the fastest growing economy in the world this year with an unemployment rate of two percent. But all this is dependent on gambling, which makes up 95 percent of Macau's economy. So, will its reliance on high-rolling gamblers put Macau's economy at risk?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D