DOCUMENTARY-BAJAU SEA GYPSIES TRIBE, PHILIPPINES, TRAVEL, CULTURE, ADVENTURE....

• 4 replies
j

juan

• Fate is the hunter for my holy grail.
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 10:39:57 PM by juan »
"true love is life's best treasure.
wealth and fame may pass away,
bring no joy or lasting pleasure.
true love abides all way.
through the world i'll gladly go,
if one true love i know."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
One of my idiosyncrasies -- prefer traveling unheard of places. Another reason accepted the Koolan Island mining job. :) ;)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 03:20:19 AM by juan »

___________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________
Everyone, who came into my world, left footprints in my heart. Some, so faint, I can hardly detect them. Others, so clear, I can easily discern them. Regardless, they all influenced me. They all made me who I am.

j

juan

• View Profile
When the Japanese invaded Phil, Gen. MacArthur and his immediate staff escaped to Aus via a submarine. The rest hired Bajaus who paddled them to Aus. Must’ve taken them months. They navigate by reading the stars. Predicted the weather via instinct. Oh, yes, after living in the sea for 1000s of yrs, instinct’s been thoroughly honed.

Bajau people. The Bajau or Bajaw also spelled Bajao, Badjau, Badjaw, or Badjao, are an indigenous ethnic group of Maritime Southeast Asia. Due to escalated conflicts in their native Sulu Archipelago, and discrimination in the Philippines with regards to education and employment, most of the Bajau have migrated to neighboring Malaysia over the course of 50 years. Currently they are the second largest ethnic group in the state of Sabah, making up 13.4%[1] of the total population. Groups of Bajau have also migrated to Sulawesi and Kalimantan in Indonesia, although figures of their exact population are unknown.[2] They were sometimes referred to as the Sea Gypsies, although the term has been used to encompass a number of non-related ethnic groups with similar traditional lifestyles, such as the Moken of the Burmese-Thai Mergui Archipelago and the Orang Laut of southeastern Sumatra and the Riau Islands of Indonesia. The modern outward spread of the Bajau from older inhabited areas seems to have been associated with the development of sea trade in trepang. :) ;)

When I was in Dadiangas (now called GenSan) in '64 (hehehe ;)), could've joined them in their travels. Hindi natuloi due to divine intervention. :) ;)

wardiflex

• OMG Fanaticz
    • View Profile
salamat sa info.. bisan asa diay sila daghan gihapon.
kinsa tong mag pa pintal sa ilang balay etc., just inform me, naa koy kaila nga d best.09487352092

j

juan

• View Profile
Prefer island hopping with the Bajau. :) ;)

The Bajau, also spelled Badjao, Bajaw, Bajao, Bajo, Badjau, orBadjaw), and also known as Sama or Samal, are a Moro indigenous ethnic group of Maritime Southeast Asia. The Bajau live a seaborne lifestyle, and use small wooden sailing vessels such as the perahu and vinta.
The Bajau are traditionally from the many islands of the Sulu Archipelago in thePhilippines, as well as parts of the coastal areas of Mindanao and northern Borneo. In the last 50 years, many of the Filipino Bajau have migrated to neighbouring Malaysia and the northern islands of the Philippines, due to the conflict in the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao. As of 2007, they were the second-largest ethnic group in the Malaysian state of Sabah, making up 13.4% of the total population. Groups of Bajau have also migrated to Sulawesi and North Kalimantan in Indonesia, although their exact population is unknown.

Don’t think they’re all Muslims (‘Moro’ is a derogatory term). Many have religions dating back '000s of yrs BC.
They're not really Filipinos in the strict sense of the word. 'coz they don't live in the Philippines. I.e., their home base is the sea surrounding Malaysia, Philippines and Indonesia. ::) :)

Bajau - the real waterworld people
Bajau - the real waterworld people

« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 11:45:51 PM by juan »